Everyone's thoughs on 4 Teams going in 5A??

Guest GoStangs

I wasn't a big fan of 3 teams going to the playoffs; needless to say, I'm really don't support the idea/reality of 4 teams going. It makes no sense to me why they'd do that.

Guest GoStangs

If that's the case, why not let everyone go to the playoffs? It would be a fair solution since all programs, no matter how weak or strong, would have the same opportunity to play in the postseason, tie-breakers to decide who goes and who stays would be eliminated, scores during district play could be eliminated since it really wouldn't matter anymore, and nobody's feelings would be hurt by losing a district game or all of their games for that matter. At the end of the season, they could give everyone a ribbon. Yeah, the UIL could really promote something very unique, appease everyone, and get rid of that whole nasty concept of competition altogether... :roll:

I believe that 4 teams makes more since than 3. I think that whether you are in the "large" or "small" bracket, that you should play the same number of playoff games in order to be state champ. For that to happen, there would have to be the same number of teams that make each bracket. Thus either 2 or 4 should go, definitely not 3. That is unless you do away with the "large" and "small" bracket and just make one.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like the four teams either. The playoffs are watered downed enough as it is. If they allow four teams to go, then they should make all the district have the same number of teams. It's not fair for a team in an 8 team district compared to a 6 team district. In a six team district you win 2 games and you're in. That's too easy!! Make all districts have the same number of teams. I didn't really like the 3 teams when that first started too, but I'm ok with it now. What I really don't like is the two state champions. I would like to see three teams go, but only crown one state champ.

Yes I agree with cat22. If we are going to have a big and a small bracket then why not make more divisions like from a 10A on down. That would give two teams from potentially the same size school playoff opportunities. I am kidding of course. I did not like the three thing at first either, I guess its better than four though, not a fan of that.

4 teams or 3 make no difference if nothing else like someone has said it makes the Div I teams play the same amount of games as the Div II teams. I would rather see one Champion and increase the amount of classifications like adding a 6A like Oklahoma did. I wasen't that inthused about adding the 3rd team either , but I think it was 2003 when 3rd place Bandera Won the Div II title. I guess you can argue it all different ways but the way to go is on champion per division that way there is no doubt who is actually the champ.

• 4 months later...
Guest ECBucFan

If that's the case' date=' why not let everyone go to the playoffs? It would be a fair solution since all programs, no matter how weak or strong, would have the same opportunity to play in the postseason, tie-breakers to decide who goes and who stays would be eliminated, scores during district play could be eliminated since it really wouldn't matter anymore, and nobody's feelings would be hurt by losing a district game or all of their games for that matter. At the end of the season, they could give everyone a ribbon. Yeah, the UIL could really promote something very unique, appease everyone, and get rid of that whole nasty concept of competition altogether... :roll:[/quote']

Yes!, and while we are at it, the UIL should eliminate keeping score. Take the scoreboards down, we don't want to hurt anyones self esteem. If there are 1000 schools in Texas, lets declare all 1000 of them State Champs, and have a group hug outside in the parking lot! :ROFL

Guest Techsan

IM agin it i think this little flag here says it all :bss What happened to there has to be a winner and there has to be a loser, thats life. Im sure my grand daddy is rolling in his grave over this one.

How the UIL ever came up with 3 teams, I'll never know why. Some districts deserve to have 2,3, or 4 teams. Others like the one Lufkin is in, doesn't. Great baseball district but only 2 good teams in football. I sure miss playing in the HS SEC. Lufkin, Longview, John Tyler, Tyler Lee, Marshall, Nacogdoches & Texarkana.

Yes, played Longview, JT & Lee twice in district. Then played Longview(3rd time) for the Regional Championship. Lee went D1.

I remember back in the 70s Longview, JT Lufkin & Texarkana all were ranked in the top 10. Lufkin, Longview & JT ended in a 3 way tie for 1st. Longview won the coin flip. 3 great teams that year. Texarkana got beat by the other 3 teams .

The percentage of 5A schools making the playoffs this year with 4 teams per district qualifying will still be lower than the percentage of 3A teams that made it last year with only 3 teams per district qualifying.

In 2006 there will be 246 total 5A schools in UIL football competition

32 districts x 4 teams per district = 128 qualifying teams

128/246 = 52.03% of all 5A teams will make the playoffs this coming year

In 2005 there were 183 total 3A schools

32 districts x 3 teams per district = 96 qualifying teams

96/183 = 52.46% of all 3A teams made the playoffs last year

The increase to 4 teams per district in 5A is not going to "dilute the field" any worse than it already had been before... there will still be the same number of 5A champs declared and if anything it's more fair as 5A teams will have closer to the same chance of making the playoffs as teams in the lower classifications.

It appears that the UIL is considering the idea of eliminating the 2 champs per class sytem and just increasing the total number of classifications by the way I noticed that they've divided the 6-man teams into not just Division I and II playoff brackets, but Division I and II districts. They've essentially divided 6-man into two different classifications. I can see that as a possibility in the future for the larger classes. The 2006 season should be an initial litmus test to see which system gets the best response between the 4 team per district 5A and the 2 team per district but 2 classification 6-man setup.

I believe that 4 teams makes more since than 3. I think that whether you are in the "large" or "small" bracket' date=' that you should play the same number of playoff games in order to be state champ. For that to happen, there would have to be the same number of teams that make each bracket. Thus either 2 or 4 should go, definitely not 3. That is unless you do away with the "large" and "small" bracket and just make one.[/quote']

Pretty good argument. I can see what your thinking.

Four teams in is ridiculous. Now teams with sub .500 records are going to get in. I would be more in favor of reducing to 2 than increasing to 4. In many cases' date=' this is more than half of the district. What is this? The NBA and the NHL?[/quote']

Well, teams have been getting in with sub .500 records for years now.

ie. 4 team district, loses all pre season games but wins all district games.

I say only two go and 1 state champ!!!!

3 or 4 teams doesnt make sense.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami