cleveland 69 shepherd 3 final

Guest shsu31

you don't have a dog in this hunt anymore. you picked up your marbles and left.

don't let all of jdb's complaints fool you, it is spite talking. he's trying to deflect the blame for the current situation onto others.

the current AD would likely have been more succesful had he not allowed jdb and FORMER board members to influence his decision making on the field.

we do not need the school board micro-managing the athletics department but we also don't need an AD that will give in to the bullying of wannabe ADs

who would sacrifice every other player on the team just so their kids get to play the position they want.

you don't have a dog in this hunt anymore. you picked up your marbles and left.

don't let all of jdb's complaints fool you, it is spite talking. he's trying to deflect the blame for the current situation onto others.

the current AD would likely have been more succesful had he not allowed jdb and FORMER board members to influence his decision making on the field.

we do not need the school board micro-managing the athletics department but we also don't need an AD that will give in to the bullying of wannabe ADs

who would sacrifice every other player on the team just so their kids get to play the position they want.

You are right again.  And they have been so successful since my marbles are elsewhere.  Support is kinda funny isn't it.  No one likes you when you don't and no one likes it when you do.

I can only hope the present board gets the same thing that the past board member got when he screwed up 6 years ago.

in spite of how much you would like it to, the truth is, you taking your marbles with you has had very little if any negative impact on the scoreboard.

and you're being a little disingenuous by claiming the former board member(and relative of yours) was removed solely for mistakes made 6 years ago, the rest of the story is the community removed him AGAIN after his recent push to renew the present AD's contract. so don't claim that everything would be hunky-dorey it it weren't for  two meddling board members. the vote was 3-3 remember? (one member being absent)

in fact the former board member's quest to get a previous AD removed was because that AD had the audacity to remove that board member's (and your) relative from the starting position you thought he should have.

and I doubt seriously that you would be showing so much support for an AD that has won only 2 games in the last three seasons if it weren't to ensure a starting position for your relative.

no, if anyone is to blame for the current situation it's those of you that have been bullying the ADs around here for years. oh and it's not just varsity - 7th, 8th, JV and varsity teams are ALL win-less. those #$@! board members I hope they get what they have coming!

A wise person told me one time,"Be careful when arguing with an idiot.  The people watching, (or in this case reading), may not be able to tell the difference." 

So with that I will say that Coach is a good man and he and his family will be just fine. 

This is the hidden content, please

So in 43 years, counting this one, your school has only had 16 seasons with more wins than losses.  They have had 13 coaches for an avg. of 3.2 years each.  My guess, it is as much unreal expectations and no patience as bad coaching.  You can't change the genetics of the kids, so change the coaches.

So in 43 years, counting this one, your school has only had 16 seasons with more wins than losses.  They have had 13 coaches for an avg. of 3.2 years each.  My guess, it is as much unreal expectations and no patience as bad coaching.  You can't change the genetics of the kids, so change the coaches.

Genetics are the one thing that the power players in the community as well as the school boards never want to admit when it comes to not being successful.

just like the majority of other schools, talent comes in cycles, and right now the talent level isnt the highest, plus i hear they have had the injury bug.  If you recall the class of 2006 had some tremendous football talent in it, 2 of which are starting on saturdays now, and several more 1st team all-district players in a dang good district.  Given time and proper support the program can get turned back around.

just like the majority of other schools, talent comes in cycles, and right now the talent level isnt the highest, plus i hear they have had the injury bug.  If you recall the class of 2006 had some tremendous football talent in it, 2 of which are starting on saturdays now, and several more 1st team all-district players in a dang good district.  Given time and proper support the program can get turned back around.

Give time and support? Like patience? Ya it doesnt look like they know what that is.

i knew garrin is at iowa st. but who is the other? the qb?

Genetics are the one thing that the power players in the community as well as the school boards never want to admit when it comes to not being successful.

that's faulty logic. it assumes that all the coaches in 43 years of history were "gotten rid of". many left of their own accord to move on to bigger and better opportunities. Blount moved to Tomball, Corn became Superintendent, Meekins moved to become administrator in another district, to name a few. some were interim coaches who never expected or wanted the position permanently. no, historically the community is supportive of the coaches. they supported Turner and he had two seasons at 2-8 but a "power player" wanted him gone despite how the community felt. despite that mistake we lucked out and got Hubbard who lead us from 2-8 his first year to 7-3 and 6-4 seasons. but there again the same "power player" wanted him gone. then we get Hanks,

good man, no-one has a bad word to say about him, he just hasn't been able to get things lined-out. the general consensus is, for whatever reasons, he's not the right man for the job. now the same "power player" insists that he is.(i have my opinion as to the motives of this "power player" but won't get into it here.)

it is understandable that it seems we as a community have recently been impatient with coaches but that is just not the case.

if the community fell short in support of the coaches anywhere it is in the fact that they didn't stand up against the "power player" when he was removing good coaches and insisting we keep(sorry if it sounds harsh but) a bad one.

as for our "genetics" - the majority understands that we, as a whole, don't produce enough star athletes to expect 10-0 seasons and we don't run people off when the don't produce that for us. but is it unreasonable for us expect  seasons that are indicative of the talent we do produce?

that's faulty logic. it assumes that all the coaches in 43 years of history were "gotten rid of". many left of their own accord to move on to bigger and better opportunities. Blount moved to Tomball, Corn became Superintendent, Meekins moved to become administrator in another district, to name a few. some were interim coaches who never expected or wanted the position permanently. no, historically the community is supportive of the coaches. they supported Turner and he had two seasons at 2-8 but a "power player" wanted him gone despite how the community felt. despite that mistake we lucked out and got Hubbard who lead us from 2-8 his first year to 7-3 and 6-4 seasons. but there again the same "power player" wanted him gone. then we get Hanks,

good man, no-one has a bad word to say about him, he just hasn't been able to get things lined-out. the general consensus is, for whatever reasons, he's not the right man for the job. now the same "power player" insists that he is.(i have my opinion as to the motives of this "power player" but won't get into it here.)

it is understandable that it seems we as a community have recently been impatient with coaches but that is just not the case.

if the community fell short in support of the coaches anywhere it is in the fact that they didn't stand up against the "power player" when he was removing good coaches and insisting we keep(sorry if it sounds harsh but) a bad one.

as for our "genetics" - the majority understands that we, as a whole, don't produce enough star athletes to expect 10-0 seasons and we don't run people off when the don't produce that for us. but is it unreasonable for us expect  seasons that are indicative of the talent we do produce?

So how does one power player get all that done?  What is the make up of the board?  I don't see how one person can get all that done by himself.  Most of the time there is more than one person behind every change.   

The way I understand it, Hanks was the dc when Hubbard was there.  The 7-3 season they had the best defense in the area.  The 5-5 season they had a good defense as well.  Hanks also ran the weight program.  That is why he got the job as head coach.  Folks around here really likes the way he works with the kids.  The talent level has dropped off from those seasons with garrin(iowa state).  Also, everything I hear is he is short coaches on his staff.  So who is to blame there????  Do we not want someone that is going to treat kids the right way OR win at all cost?

To say the talent level has dropped off would be an understatement...Yes, Hanks is short on coaches, this was due to High School coaching slots being tied to teaching positions at the Jr. High and I belive one was taken away at the high school as well...go figure. The ENTIRE football program in Shepherd, Texas is WINLESS this year, that means grades 7-12!! I have been coaching for 15 years and have NEVER heard of this happening before. I'm curious to know if anyone else has? I know these things run in cycles, but WOW! As I have said before, the new head coach is going to be facing the exact same issues that Hanks is facing now, so what will change? It is difficult enough to attract quality coaches to shepherd as it is. There is going to be a mass exodus of asst. coaches this spring so get ready, the coaching shortage will only continue to grow...I know the word going around now is that the current AP at the high school is next in line to be head fb coach and that would be another mistake, but that's the one thing that is consistent here. Mistake after mistake.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476