Pet Peeve about raising the American Flag

I go to a bunch of games and this is a pet peeve of mine.  Raising the American flag slowly up the flag pole.    According to the US flag code:

'Raising and Lowering the Flag

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously. Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. It should be illuminated if displayed at night.

The flag of the United States of America is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of music, whichever is the longest.

This is the hidden content, please

Lets honor Old Glory and do it right.

I'm with you Sherm. I watch the Boy Scouts raise the flag at most games and they do it wrong, technically speaking. I thought the scouts were big on the Flag Code and the respect that goes with it but they do not raise the flag in the correct manner.

In the scheme of bad things in the world, this is miniscule in nature.... but I still wish they would do it correctly.

Guest tigersvoice

And in periods where "Old Glory" is to be displayed at half staff, it is raised in the normal manner (briskly) and then lowered to half staff.  I can't remember when lowering from half staff if you take the flag back to full staff and then retire it or if you simply retire from the half staff position.

And in periods where "Old Glory" is to be displayed at half staff, it is raised in the normal manner (briskly) and then lowered to half staff.  I can't remember when lowering from half staff if you take the flag back to full staff and then retire it or if you simply retire from the half staff position.

From what I've read tiger, our flag is ALWAYS lowered from the full staff position, in a slow, steady ceremonious manner.  When it is raised from half to full for retirement, it is raised briskly. 

2.gif

What gets me (old Army Retired) is when the anthem is playing people standing around with their hats still on.  I am talking baseball caps, cowboy hat, hunting hats.  Man that chaps me bad.  I just want to go up and flip the hat off.  I am sure that I would get flipped off also.  Why does the announcer have to remind you to do that?

Take your hat off, be quiet during a "program" or prayer, don't put your trash on the ground or throw it out the window, say please and thank you, respect adults, don't walk down the middle of the road...should I go on?  It's one of the many things parents are forgetting to teach their children.  We now have character education at school but if it is not reinforced at home then it is useless.

I'm with you Sherm. I watch the Boy Scouts raise the flag at most games and they do it wrong, technically speaking. I thought the scouts were big on the Flag Code and the respect that goes with it but they do not raise the flag in the correct manner.

In the scheme of bad things in the world, this is miniscule in nature.... but I still wish they would do it correctly.

I will forward this to the council leadership.  They should be able to make sure everybody is properly trained by the next game.  Not only do I coach and teach I also work with the cub scouts in my community.

This is something that I do get fired up about.  To much blood has been shed not to be respectful.

Guest Aggie by Birth

from an old Eagle Scout....

the "color guard" should post the colors briskly and smartly.  The color guard never salutes...only job is posting and retrieving the colors!!!  All others shall salute in a manner appropriate their status (military-salute, non-military=hand over heart)

The colors should be retrieved slowly and in a dignified manner...as if we are sad to see them taken down!!!  and when taken down...they shall be folded and stored honorably!!

Take your hat off, be quiet during a "program" or prayer, don't put your trash on the ground or throw it out the window, say please and thank you, respect adults, don't walk down the middle of the road...should I go on?  It's one of the many things parents are forgetting to teach their children.  We now have character education at school but if it is not reinforced at home then it is useless.

From my perspective, it has a lot to do with how you were raised.  Right from wrong, respect, how to treat your neighbors and the other golden rules seem to have been forgotten.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this!  I never served in the military or served my country in any sort of uniform but I take pride in my country and wish everyone had as much a problem wi th the disrespect as we all seem to share.  I had never noticed this until I had graduated some ten years ago and started attending the games as a fan of the sport.  What was really a shock to me was the dishonor by not just the young and foolish but by a least one person in every age group.  I guarantee that I can find one of every age at every game.  I hope that I can only make it better by biting my tongue and teaching my children at their young ages of 5 and 8 the importance of what i think should be a duty but an honor of every American. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder