EX West Brook star to Lamar?

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Bob West Column for Sunday

Lamar University’s fledgling football program could wind up getting a big-time boost from Bobby Petrino replacing Houston Nutt as the head football coach at Arkansas. West Brook ex Joe Chiasson, a two-time PA News Super Teamer who signed with the Razorbacks in 2006, has left Arkansas and is reportedly considering enrolling at LU. If he does, it would be a huge early boost for Cardinal coach Ray Woodard, who can’t begin assembling his first recruiting class until next February. Chiasson is an exceptional athlete who played both quarterback and running back at West Brook and was recruited by Arkansas as a defensive back. Because of his scrambling ability, and what he learned playing for Craig Stump, Chiasson sounds like at ideal fit as a quarterback for Lamar.

Lamar basketball fans who have written off two of the team’s fringe big men — Lawrence Nwevo and Coy Custer — need to revise their thinking, according to Cardinal basketball coach Steve Roccaforte. “Their teammates say they are the two most improved players in the program and will be able to help us this season,†Roccaforte said. The LU coach is also raving over strides made by senior Jay Brown, junior Ashton Hall and redshirt sophomore Shane Mahoney.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_236194252.html

Guest coachacola

I think Coach Woodard is going to surprise a lot of people when he starts bringing in players.  Like Roccaforte and Tidwell, Billy Tubbs got a coach who is full of energy and knows how to recruit and sell Lamar.

If Nwevo and Custer are much improved over last year then this could be the year the basketball team has a breakout season.  With probably a better coaching staff and a lot more athletic team this year, they could have great season.  Dawkins and Nabors should put up big numbers, especially if Nwevo and Custer can give the team an inside presence so opposing teams can't just focus on shutting Dawkins and Nabors down.  Hall and Brown can give opposing teams problems because of their size and quickness.  The wild card in all this is how much Mahoney and the new guys contribute.

With renovations of Cardinal Stadium about to begin, basketball season just a few months away, and LU's first football signing period next February, this should be an exciting time for Lamar fans.

Guest abovetherim

That is correct unless he can get a waiver from the NCAA to get an extra year since Lamar will not be playing in 2009.

Probably would not happen but athletes do get a sixth year sometimes.

I think Coach Woodard is going to surprise a lot of people when he starts bringing in players.  Like Roccaforte and Tidwell, Billy Tubbs got a coach who is full of energy and knows how to recruit and sell Lamar.

If Nwevo and Custer are much improved over last year then this could be the year the basketball team has a breakout season.  With probably a better coaching staff and a lot more athletic team this year, they could have great season.  Dawkins and Nabors should put up big numbers, especially if Nwevo and Custer can give the team an inside presence so opposing teams can't just focus on shutting Dawkins and Nabors down.  Hall and Brown can give opposing teams problems because of their size and quickness.  The wild card in all this is how much Mahoney and the new guys contribute.

With renovations of Cardinal Stadium about to begin, basketball season just a few months away, and LU's first football signing period next February, this should be an exciting time for Lamar fans.

I'm so happy to see the news about Nwevo and Custer.  I had no given up on them.  But if Mahoney can come back and not loss a step, imagine the speed on the floor with the guards all on the floor.  I see a swarm of hornets on defense.

I think he'd be a solid QB in the SLC, and he has a year to bond with future teammates.

Solid QB in the SLC? He'd only have one year in the conference (2011). Not sure he'll be able to have enough time to develop a reputation as a "solid" quarterback...and that's without addressing the offensive line. He'd have to have a Nathan Brown-like performance for a few weeks of SLC play before a reputation would develop...

Oh please, solid means slightly above average. You do enough to keep your job, and okay, maybe he's in the SLC for 1 year, he can't be a solid quarterback in the SLC for 1 year?

Oh please, solid means slightly above average. You do enough to keep your job, and okay, maybe he's in the SLC for 1 year, he can't be a solid quarterback in the SLC for 1 year?

This is a QB's league...the only school with a ? mark at QB is Southeastern. Even SFA at 0-11 last year has a kid with some skills and offensive firepower...

Guest abovetherim

I think he'd be a solid QB in the SLC, and he has a year to bond with future teammates.

Solid QB in the SLC? He'd only have one year in the conference (2011). Not sure he'll be able to have enough time to develop a reputation as a "solid" quarterback...and that's without addressing the offensive line. He'd have to have a Nathan Brown-like performance for a few weeks of SLC play before a reputation would develop...

How soon we forget. Josh McCown played for SHSU for one year. Then Dustin Long was there for one year.

How soon we forget. Josh McCown played for SHSU for one year. Then Dustin Long was there for one year.

Not allowed anymore, got to have two years to transfer...

And quite frankly, you'd like to see a QB around a bit long enough to develop a reputation on the national level, going beyond the conference. I just do not think McCown or Long did anything, but continue our history of being a hot spot for solid QB transfers (add Chaloupka and hopefully soon, Bomar) to that list...

I do not think any Kat signal-caller developed the same reputation nationally or in the conference as guys like Armanti Edwards (App St/SoCon), Eric Sanders (UNI/Gateway) and players of the like who stuck around for more than a year and led their teams to multiple deep runs in the playoffs...

Guest abovetherim

I promise this will not apply to the situation we are discussing here. Chiasson, I believe is the player we are discussing and I'd like to keep it focused on him.

If Lamar is lucky enough to land him other top level players will follow him here.

The situation at SHSU is different than Lamar. SHSU has a solid football program. LU is just starting ours.

I just do not think McCown or Long did anything, but continue our history of being a hot spot for solid QB transfers...

You are kidding right?

Were you on campus in 2004?

SHSU Pre Long:

4-7

2-9

SHSU Long:

11-3

One game from the National Championship (farthest ever)

#3 National Ranking (highest ever)

Most wins in school history

Finished a close second for the IAA Heisman (Walter Payton Award)

Broke just a bout every single game, single season and career passing record at SHSU.

Attendance at Bowers was through the roof.

SHSU Post Long:

3-7

6-5

7-4

And in 2001 McCown was just a notch below Long in his accolades and is in second in most of those records at SHSU.

They did something! What a pompus jerk. Sure it would be nice to get a top notch QB for four years, but guess what, those guys don't want to go to SHSU or Lamar or any other FCS because they are getting offers to play on TV on Saturdays.

Great point Rim!

Guest abovetherim

Well, probably a good decision on his part. He will not have to sit out (red-shirt) this year due to transferring from a FBS school to a FCS school.

Wish him the best.

I just do not think McCown or Long did anything, but continue our history of being a hot spot for solid QB transfers...

You are kidding right?

Were you on campus in 2004?

SHSU Pre Long:

4-7

2-9

SHSU Long:

11-3

One game from the National Championship (farthest ever)

#3 National Ranking (highest ever)

Most wins in school history

Finished a close second for the IAA Heisman (Walter Payton Award)

Broke just a bout every single game, single season and career passing record at SHSU.

Attendance at Bowers was through the roof.

SHSU Post Long:

3-7

6-5

7-4

And in 2001 McCown was just a notch below Long in his accolades and is in second in most of those records at SHSU.

They did something! What a pompus jerk. Sure it would be nice to get a top notch QB for four years, but guess what, those guys don't want to go to SHSU or Lamar or any other FCS because they are getting offers to play on TV on Saturdays.

That's telling TT how the cow ate that cabbage. ;D ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami