WO-S graduate Johnson places sixth in trials

WO-S graduate Johnson places sixth in trials

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Brandon Johnson might not be headed to Bejing, China this Summer yet you will never hear the 2003 West Orange-Stark graduate complain.

Johnson placed sixth this weekend in the 400-meter hurdles at the US Olympic Trials held at the University of Oregon, not enough to make the Olympic team.

This was the first time Johnson has attended the US Olympic Trials and was thrilled with the experience.

“Four years ago I went to the World Juniors and I have also ran in the USA Championships,†Johnson said. “This was totally different. It was more stressful this year. You know it is the best in the country and our country is the best in the world. I realized I was running against the best in the world.â€

Johnson ran a 48.72 in the finals on Sunday to place sixth. Johnson was eighth after Friday’s preliminaries and was in seventh after Saturday’s semi-finals with a time of 48.68. Friday his time was 50.11.

“I was sitting on the edge of my chair,†Verill Young said. Young coached Johnson for three years at WO-S. “I thought he ran exceptionally well. Brandon is young in sprinters age. I look forward to seeing him in the Olympic trials and in the Olympics in 2012.â€

Johnson said he was never upset with his time all weekend and that he will have to watch the US Team on television.

“It was a very trying weekend for me,†Johnson added. “I can’t be too upset with what I did. I am still young and I look forward to 2012. There is no shame in placing sixth in the United States. I am satisfied with myself.â€

Johnson will now work on improving his world ranking in the hurdles before the next Olympic Trials are held.

“I plan on going to run somewhere in Europe,†Johnson said. “I am really not sure of my schedule just yet. My short-term goal is to work on my world ranking. At the end of the season, I want to be ranked above people who competed at the Olympics.â€

Johnson has received a lot of messages here recently from Orange in support of his efforts.

“I have been checking messages on the phone and on Facebook,†Johnson said. “The Gay family has been real supportive and so has some others in Orange. That is always a great thing to hear from people in Southeast Texas.â€

Young said Johnson was one of the best men, not just athletes, he has ever coached.

“He was and is an excellent young man,†Young added. “Brandon always had a tremendous work habit and that is obvious with the success he is having. At one point he was No. 5 in the hurdles while at UCLA. I always used to tell scouts that I have three daughters and if I could choose their husband - he would be the one I choose.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    siya
    Newest Member
    siya