More Playoff Teams A Problem?

More playoff teams a problem?

Starting this season, four teams from each district in Class 5A will qualify for the playoffs. Though it's a move some say cheapens the postseason, UIL executive director Bill Farney issued a suggestion: Take a look around. In the state of Texas, 245 teams play on the 5A level. That's more than 27 other states have in all classes combined.

Breithaupt, for his part, remembered 1982, the first year two teams were allowed from each district. That year, West Brook slipped into the postseason through the back door. A few weeks later, coach Alex Durley led the Bruins to their only state championship.

Breithaupt has also said he wouldn't be surprised if lower classifications one day adopt the four-team format as well.

"Let's put it this way: You have a lot of third- and fourth-place teams who don't think it's a bad idea," he said.

Guest bulldogbark

maybe they should just take the top 241 schools in 5a and let them all advance except the last 4....everybody makes it...kinda like basketball :D

We should have a 6A like some other states do. As it stands right now it is all about the $. The uil makes more money than the Texas lottery. :lol:

The simple solution, is to evenly divide students throughout a district. Having a 3A school and a large 5A school in one district is crazy.

The simple solution' date=' is to evenly divide students throughout a district. Having a 3A school and a large 5A school in one district is crazy.[/quote']

It's simple if you dictate to every school district in Texas that they have to set up their schools based on Friday night football games and not local conditions.

To me it makes more sense having 4 teams go to the playoffs, than having 3. At least, both divisions in a class would have to play the same number of games. That being said I would not be against 2 make the playoffs, but it should be an even number that makes the playoffs, if they are going to split it into 2 divisions. Everyone should play the same number of games to win a state championship.

I can understand the cheapening feelings, but in our area our 4th place teams could probably win district in a lot of western districts. It is a shame how the Greater Houston area has such a bloodbath. Few championship games are really close. It is crazy for a team that fights and struggles and barely survives a region to totally demolish the opponent in the championship game. That shows how strong our area really is.

On the plus side, a 4th place team that gets an opportunity to play a playoff game gives their school and community a shot in the arm. Kids like/need to feel successful. I was associated with a school that has tremendous basketball talent, but a horrible football squad. The kids who participated worked hard, but many talented kids would never go out for fb due to the lack of success. When kids think there is a shot whether it is 1st or 4th place they think "hey we're in the playoffs". It is very positive.

I can understand the cheapening feelings' date=' but in our area our 4th place teams could probably win district in a lot of western districts. It is a shame how the Greater Houston area has such a bloodbath. Few championship games are really close. It is crazy for a team that fights and struggles and barely survives a region to totally demolish the opponent in the championship game. That shows how strong our area really is.

On the plus side, a 4th place team that gets an opportunity to play a playoff game gives their school and community a shot in the arm. Kids like/need to feel successful. I was associated with a school that has tremendous basketball talent, but a horrible football squad. The kids who participated worked hard, but many talented kids would never go out for fb due to the lack of success. When kids think there is a shot whether it is 1st or 4th place they think "hey we're in the playoffs". It is very positive.[/quote']

A perfect example would be Orangefield.

I've always been in favor of more teams going to the playoffs. I may be the only one who feels that way but kids have one chance in life playing HS football.

Then switch schools. :lol::lol:

Well 4 make sense in a district like ours! Hell 5 of us could run through the playoffs pretty far. It stinks having to play each other. Should have been 2 4 team districts. Or move LCM to 3A(you know they want too :lol: )

I've always been in favor of more teams going to the playoffs. I may be the only one who feels that way but kids have one chance in life playing HS football.

[on soapbox]That is true but isn't it pretty much that way with everything in life? For most things or endeavors' date=' you get one shot, maybe two at the most.

I think it is just a trend that started about 20 years ago where everyone is entitled to everything, no matter the effort or results. There are no consequences to poor performance, underachieving or just not doing what you had a chance to do.

First schools wanted to drop grades altogether and just score on attendance. Then schools went to social promotion. No matter if you cannot write your name by the time you are in high school, we don't want you to be away from the friends you grew up with. No need to embarrass little Johnny because he skipped school half the year and didn't do his homework the other half. No need to make the grades or earn the credits to get out of high school, you get to walk with your class even though you did not actually graduate and will never graduate.

The French had riots a few months ago because they were going to make a law that you could actually fire someone from a job if he underperformed or didn't show up for work. How crude of the French for expecting people to show up for work. I have a feeling this country isn't far from the same kind of laws that protect jobs no matter what you do or getting a diploma no matter if you attend school. It will just be further eroding of having any accountability for anything or any actions.

Sorry, but I do not think that making more playoff spots just so more kids can claim some type of victory is correct. There has to be some incentive for trying hard and for winning. When you make 4 teams from a 6 team district into playoff teams, what does that do to the feelings of the 2 teams at the bottom? If you think Lumberton is catching hell how, what will it be when only 1 or 2 teams are left out of the mix? Why not just do away with earning playoffs altogether. Make it like baseball or basketball in college. The regular season is just prelude to the post season tournament and just used for the seeding in the playoffs. It would only extend the season for another two weeks at the most. Every team goes, that way we won't offend anyone. That way every football player in Texas can claim he was on a playoff team. After all, we don't want to brusie anyone's self esteem. But wait, if you do it for football.........[b'][/off soapbox]

I think it is just a trend that started about 20 years ago where everyone is entitled to everything' date=' no matter the effort or results. There are no consequences to poor performance, underachieving or just not doing what you had a chance to do.

First schools wanted to drop grades altogether and just score on attendance. Then schools went to social promotion. No matter if you cannot write your name by the time you are in high school, we don't want you to be away from the friends you grew up with. No need to embarrass little Johnny because he skipped school half the year and didn't do his homework the other half. No need to make the grades or earn the credits to get out of high school, you get to walk with your class even though you did not actually graduate and will never graduate.

[/quote']

I honestly do not know where this came from. I have never seen a school do this or promote this sort of idea. I have been around the system for awhile now. No pass/ no play has been around for close to 25 years now. I do agree that society has helped to create a bunch of today's youth who do feel they are entitled to things without much work or desire to achieve the goals.

I believe I read a year or two back that Friday Night Football has a major economic impact on small communities. I think it was Dairy Queen who stated they made a significant percentage of their sales during the fall football season especially in the smaller communities. So you figure ticket sales, food sales, and just the influx of hundreds of visitors to a town on a given Friday night has to be a reason for the idea of an extended playoff scenario.

I honestly do not know where this came from. I have never seen a school do this or promote this sort of idea. I have been around the system for awhile now. No pass/ no play has been around for close to 25 years now. I do agree that society has helped to create a bunch of today's youth who do feel they are entitled to things without much work or desire to achieve the goals................

You just stated in one sentence what I tried to say in a dissertation. It was not against football per se but schools and life in general. Why earn it when it will be given to me?

We have moved beyond the generation X and are now at generation Y.

Y do I need to be at school on time?

Y do I have to start at the bottom when I get a new job?

Y do I need a diploma?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476