I'm bored-so - some thoughts

I have lost all respect for the UT BB program.

I personally don't think Brown will ink 1 sec in the Drum.

If he does, he will embarrass UT.

UT will deserve the embarrassment.

I hope I am dead wrong on all accounts.

I doubt seriously that I am wrong.

I will eat crow if I am wrong

American Idol is a fraud.

TAKS is borrring.

It's Friday

Why does the TEA monitor keep looking in my room?

anyway....anybody out there.

Guest etbu

Sixteen percent of our kid statewide flunked the taks last year as senior. Hey thanks Ross Perot and Mark White bet your kids went to to a public school.  ???

I have lost all respect for the UT BB program.

I personally don't think Brown will ink 1 sec in the Drum.

If he does, he will embarrass UT.

UT will deserve the embarrassment.

I hope I am dead wrong on all accounts.

I doubt seriously that I am wrong.

I will eat crow if I am wrong

American Idol is a fraud.

TAKS is borrring.

It's Friday

Why does the TEA monitor keep looking in my room?

anyway....anybody out there.

American Idol and Dancing with the Stars is a good time to take a nap.......Just let me watch PTI !

Why the negativity on the Brown kid?  He makes a mistake.  You ever make a mistake?  He's a kid.  It's basically the fought of the coaches and parents for not teaching him the right way.  You can't really blame him.  He is good and he knows it.  I am not saying that he is right, just give the kid a chance.

Hoop..there it is. The excuses again. If it's not his fault, why was he ejected. If it is not his fault, why was he removed from the PAM team? It's his fault. He is old enough to know better. Have I made mistakes? Not the same one 25 times. No sir. Don't be an enabler. if he was an alcoholic, would you give him a drink. That's what you are doing sir.

Guest DickVitale

Its his OWN 'fought', as you put it....(fault... ::))..He has been given more chances than most to get it right, and he has STILL been given yet ANOTHER shot...You cannot blame ANY coach for his behavior and antics...It starts at HOME...If coaches decide they want to put up with it, that is their business, but I know the good ones would not for one second...NOT ONE...Lets just hope on THIS chance he gets it right, and I am with setxbb on this one...I doubt it, but I hope I am wrong for his sake...

Guest etbu

I heeered all that.  I wonder what the ratio is from TAKS failure to poor family structure?

I am sure it is fairly hi. 

Dropout rate within HISD here in Houston is as high as fifty to sixty percent among minorties. Why? Cannot pass the Taks so who can blame them for dropping out?

I can blame them for dropping out.  That's a loser's reaction to a difficult situation.  It's simple.  Assess why you can't pass.  Develop a plan to overcome.  Go to work and get the important thing in lkife at that age. An education.

I know first hand of these struggles.  Yes, they are in a very frustrating position.  No reason to quit.  If it takes 6,7 or more years, then do it.  You are going to be 24 one way or the other.  You mine as well have your HS diploma.

Guest DickVitale

Why can't they pass the TAKS.  DV-you don't seem to be very compassionant.

There is no excuse for quitting because of a simple basic skills test...Thats just unacceptable...Now the problem is that there is so much pressure AND reward placed on TAKS results that teachers shy away from teaching the curriculum and they teach towards the TAKS test all year long, therefore, they are not getting what they really need, which in turn causes failure on basic skills test...Thats for another thread...As far as my compassion goes, if you read my posts, I have been pulling for this kid whole heartedly...His antics, particularly at this years Kingwood classic, AFTER, everything else, kind of turned some people off...Namely me...I still hopes that he turns it around, but it looks like that tiger is not gonna change his stripes...(thats an old man saying, huh?...stole it from my dad!  :D)

There is such a high failure rate because school doesn't teach subjects anymore...  The best hope is that you are in an AP program to try and avoid that stupid "we teach TAKS" mantality in today's schools.  Even AP classes are objected to the rigerous TAKS teaching.....  Here is a hint:  Teach math, science, reading, english, and social studies...  NOT TAKS!!!  and the kids should put that together to take the TAKS test...  Man Texas kids are so behind...  At first I said my kids will go to public school because I turned out well, but know I think it is best to give my child an advantage and put them in private school!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and J. Brown WILL be an up-standing citizen or he will be at home...  I hope he is smart enough to know which option to take!

setxbbfam makes a couple of good points...however..it is not that easy.  Education in America is obviuosly slanted toward one ethniticity.  How else do you explain the gap between white and black scores?

Another excuse.    The tests are not slanted.  It's basic stuff.   The "gap" comes from the effort by the parents.  Blacks who try do just as well as whites who try.  Some just need to try harder, but they don't get the reinforcement at home.

The demographic issue is BS!!! and you all know what that stands for....  The demographic issue that is present is in the schools.  Urban schools teach TAKS...  Sub-Urban schools teach skills and the students apply what they are taught...  I don't know why the school board's feel it is neccesary to teach Blacks TAKS and not the basic skills!!!!  That is the problem...  Let's go and check Kingwood, Spring, Klien, Cypress, Clear Lake, Nederland, Port Neches, Fort Bend, Pearland, Sugarland etc.  There passing rates are way up there...  And let it be know that Sugarland, Fortbend, and Spring have large Black population, slightly larger White!!!!  But the school boards in those ISD's ae ran differently.

Guest DickVitale

NO, it is NOT a racially biased test...White kids who are not prepared to take it, do just as bad as blacks, hispanics, asians, aliens, WHOEVER....It is about preparation, and although it does BEGIN in the home, if those kids are not getting what they need on a daily basis at school, particularly at the early stages, it stuns their educational growth...horribly...another topic for another thread, as I have said earlier.

Guest nostradamus

Several Thoughts:

There is a reason why education has become "teaching the TAKS".  It is a filter down process.

1.  The state requires students to pass TAKS to graduate

2.  The central administration puts the responsibility on the principals to hire teachers that will educate the kids and prepare them to pass the state test.

3.  The principal feels the pressure from the central admin. so they take whatever steps necessary to ensure that the TAKS test is passed.

4.  This pressure filters down to the teachers who take individual responsbility for the students they teach and whether or not they pass the TAKS.

5.  All of the aforementioned people know their job is on the line if the students/campuses/district do not perform at a certian level on the state mandated test.

Don't blame the teachers or the administration....blame the non-educators who are NEVER in the classroom and have no experience or rearing in what determines whether or not a child is prepared for life after high school.

Next,

I know of several students who have transferred from our PUBLIC high school to the PRIVATE high schools in Beaumont.  They go to these private high schools and I know for a FACT that they severly outperform the students in the private schools.

Don't always believe the hype about private schools.  The ONLY real advantage they have on a public school is lower teacher/student ratio which DOES NOT equal success or guarantee better college or job placement after high school.

PERIOD.

Guest DickVitale

applauding Nostradamus.....My sentiments exactly...I don't think I could have put it better myself...And the private school statement....RIGHT ON THE MONEY! ;)

Several Thoughts:

There is a reason why education has become "teaching the TAKS".  It is a filter down process.

2.  The central administration puts the responsibility on the principals to hire teachers that will educate the kids and prepare them to pass the state test.

3.  The principal feels the pressure from the central admin. so they take whatever steps necessary to ensure that the TAKS test is passed.

4.  This pressure filters down to the teachers who take individual responsbility for the students they teach and whether or not they pass the TAKS.

5.  All of the aforementioned people know their job is on the line if the students/campuses/district do not perform at a certian level on the state mandated test.

Don't blame the teachers or the administration....blame the non-educators who are NEVER in the classroom and have no experience or rearing in what determines whether or not a child is prepared for life after high school.

Next,

I know of several students who have transferred from our PUBLIC high school to the PRIVATE high schools in Beaumont.  They go to these private high schools and I know for a FACT that they severly outperform the students in the private schools.

Don't always believe the hype about private schools.  The ONLY real advantage they have on a public school is lower teacher/student ratio which DOES NOT equal success or guarantee better college or job placement after high school.

PERIOD.

nice post

Several Thoughts:

Next,

PERIOD.

you are 100% correct on all points

Nos,

You are correct on most points.... here is what I see....

I am not speaking for all students, but on average)

1.For the most part, Private school parents push their kids harder academically than public school kids.  (If I was paying $6,000+ per year, I would ask to see my kids homework everynight... no matter what grade they were in)

2.  I taught at both and can tell you first hand that the difference is big....  homelife has alot to do with it... economics has alot to do with it... parents being INVOLVED in their childs education has the most to do with it...

Guest nostradamus
Nos,

You are correct on most points.... here is what I see....

I am not speaking for all students, but on average)

1.For the most part, Private school parents push their kids harder academically than public school kids.  (If I was paying $6,000+ per year, I would ask to see my kids homework everynight... no matter what grade they were in)

2.  I taught at both and can tell you first hand that the difference is big....  homelife has alot to do with it... economics has alot to do with it... parents being INVOLVED in their childs education has the most to do with it

When you say "MOST" private school parents push their kids harder, home life has a lot to do with it, ecomnomics has a lot to do with it, and parents being involved has the most to do with it I see what you are saying.  However, you are leaving out one important fact.  Private schools have significantly less kids enrolled.  Therefore, it is easier to say "most".  "Most" is all relative.  Do you really believe percentage wise there is a bigger difference?  I don't.  I believe if you compare a public school with a similar demographics to a private school you will see that the public school will compete, if not, out perform the private institution. 

Guest DickVitale

OK thats it...Since I am the basketball GURU, I nominate Nostradamus for GURU of education!! ;D ;D...Great point, again, Nos...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder