2 starters kicked off team for watching ragball game

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this did actually happen, I was there and it wasn't blown out of proportion.  Both boys were very upset. They have been apologized too and told that there would be no punishment.  SO now its obvious that they did nothing wrong.  Please feel free to call the school if you question this.  And the person who asked what else happens at these games....these are tournements put on for fundraisers.  This tournement was to raise money for the American Cancer Society.  We put them on ourselves to raise money for operation graduation, little leagues, Churches, etc.  There is no reason that they shouldn't have been there.  Now all has been corrected, so I suppose everything will be well for a while.  Apparently it was realized that boundries were overstepped.

Remember that playing sports in High School is a privilege, not a right.  I still believe that there is "more to the story".

This is exactly true...and there has to be more to the story.

there is nothing more to the story and now they are back on team i hear but nothing was blew outta proportion they were off the team.. the only thing blew outta proportion was the persons actions that kicked them off the team.. i guess that person came to his senses..

You guys might want to let the process take its course next time before getting on a message board and airing out your dirty laundry. Heck if it is that bad go see K'valla lady that is on here running her gap.  8) All is well and please next time give your Coach a chance to breath and correct the problem. I am sure that he Coach had his reasons for going off but we will let you fine K'vites work that out.  ???

This is not the first issue to come up at Kville this year.  We have a good coach, but sometimes his temper gets the best of him.  Sounds just like me.  It does appear after a good nights sleep cooler head prevailed and the issue has been settled.  At the time of most of these post and until 5:00 p.m. Sunday evening, the players mentioned still thought they were kicked off the team.  I think some of these post were by Kville players who just wanted to bring the issue out in the open.  Sometimes that is necessary to get positive results.  After all, the coach just has the best interest of the team at heart.  I think his main concern for not playing in ragball games during the season is the risk of injury.

In the end, it appears that all is well in Kville and the 2 good kids will get to finish out the season.  God knows we don't need any more bad breaks up here.

I am glad it worked out for the players.  IMO:  Risk of injury is no reason to tell kids not to participate in other activities.  Players have lives outside of school and injuries are just part of life.  As it was said earlier, most kids play for the love of the game and will not advance to the next level.  Let them make their memories.  Heck, if area coaches were truly worried about injuries then baseball players would not have to do football workouts in baseball season!

Remember that playing sports in High School is a privilege, not a right.  I still believe that there is "more to the story".

So is coaching.  Coaches don't have the right to misuse their authority.  In this case, however, I'll commend the coach, as it sounds like in the heat of the moment he may have overreacted, but after backing up and looking at things, he fixed it.  I'm always impressed with a coach who is not too proud to fix a mistake. 

I am glad it worked out for the players.  IMO:  Risk of injury is no reason to tell kids not to participate in other activities.  Players have lives outside of school and injuries are just part of life.  As it was said earlier, most kids play for the love of the game and will not advance to the next level.  Let them make their memories.  Heck, if area coaches were truly worried about injuries then baseball players would not have to do football workouts in baseball season!

I don't mind a kid playing something else and having fun doing it. But do it out of SEASON. 

Guest Orangeboy

not in TEXAS

not in TEXAS

LOL

I don't mind a kid playing something else and having fun doing it. But do it out of SEASON. 

For most of the players that most coaches are concerned about there is no out of season only out of high school season.  If we try to prevent injuries during season, we would have to take car keys away and make them stay home.  Then they would get carpal tunnel playing on the computer. ;D  Accidents happen and you can't prevent them.  Let them be teenagers and enjoy themselves.

Some of the time these events like this involve alot of drinking and other extras that go along with them. The coach maybe didn't want them around that. Could have had somthing to do with it. If he told them not to go they should not have gone bottom line, but he probably over reacted

just my take......I don't like the fact that the two players names were mentioned at the beginning......tasteless.....it's  a school situation not for all of us to know the kids involved..........

If a coach asks you to avoid something and the best intrest in mind is for the student to avoid it............it should be avoided.........period!! The coach obviously felt strong about what he said.

plus.....in today's world kids don't want to listen, they want to give excuses for what they are doing, or have done, and or, what they are going to do...instead of being accountable for themselves.

15 to 20 years ago a coach said jump, you jumped and worried about how high he wants it next....with out question!!

just my take......I don't like the fact that the two players names were mentioned at the beginning......tasteless.....it's  a school situation not for all of us to know the kids involved..........

If a coach asks you to avoid something and the best intrest in mind is for the student to avoid it............it should be avoided.........period!! The coach obviously felt strong about what he said.

plus.....in today's world kids don't want to listen, they want to give excuses for what they are doing, or have done, and or, what they are going to do...instead of being accountable for themselves.

15 to 20 years ago a coach said jump, you jumped and worried about how high he wants it next....with out question!!

Thank YOU

I don't think names should have been mentioned either.

But the whole thing in a nutshell (to me) is........Coach told them not to go and not to play, but they went anyway.  I think they were pushing the limit by going.  So they did what they were told specifically not to do, for whatever reason by their coach, and surely knew if they were caught there would be consequences.  I think a coach has a right to tell his players what he expects them to do and not do and if they don't follow the rules, then they don't want to be on that coaches team to begin with in my opinion. 

Remember, this is the same coach who went ballistic when he found out some of his players were getting hitting instructions on thier own time also.  High school coaches do not have the right to tell players where they can and cannot go, unless the activity in questions has to do with illegal things such as underage drinking.  I agree he can tell his players not to play, as an injury affects the whole team, not just the one player.  I know several people who were at this game, and they were not impressed by the actions they witnessed.  Again, I also understand that one of the players is not back on the team - seems the parents (you know, the people who have the real authority on where their kids go) were not happy about what happened and do not want their child playing on this team anymore.

I think this whole situation just shows how much more important coaches , fans, and parents put on high school athletics these days. Its not just this situation, there are many more that happen at many schools in different sports we never here of. In my day I can remember some of us on the ball team getting together to play wiffle ball at my house during the season and having a ball. Of course we didnt have all these fancy video games to play, so we went out and played. Just read all the comments on all the threads on this site. High School athletics is a big topic where everyone has an opinion. I liked the days that all I had to do was stop at the barber shop on Saturday morning and listen to the oldtimers do the armchair quarterbacking. It's time to get back to just having some fun.

................. High school coaches do not have the right to tell players where they can and cannot go, unless the activity in questions has to do with illegal things such as underage drinking.  I agree he can tell his players not to play, as an injury affects the whole team, not just the one player. .................

Ah yes, the discussion of rights.

A coach has every right to tell his players anything that he wants as long as he does not break the law. The players also have the right to not pay attention to the coach. It is their right to come and go as they please.

The coach however has the right to kick them off of the team at his discretion. It may not the correct thing to do but he certainly isn't violating any laws or anyone's rights by doing so.

The school board or superintendent (whoever makes the decisions) has the right to terminate the coach or reassign him if he is not performing up to their standard.

The belief that a coach has no rights over his players is totally incorrect. Up until he breaks the law or violates the rules and trust of the people that hired him, he can run his team as he sees fit and that includes making any rules that he wishes. I am not speaking of the coach in question on this thread but any coach. He can make all of the arbitrary rules that he wants as long as no laws are broken or school rules are violated. If the school board feels that a coach is being unfair in his treatment of players, they can replace him.

To suggest a coach has the absolute right to make arbitrary rules as long as they don't violate the law is ridiculous.  If so then there is no need for a parent.  A coach needs to feed, cloth, house, and provide religious teaching, if he presumes to usurp the parental right for guiding what a kid does away from school.   

I know that back in the day,  I for one would have been  scared to death to be defiant to my coach.  What he said went and there was no discussion about it.  Now you have kids quiting teams because a coach told them to cut their hair, or some coach hurt their feelings.  Heck I remember when coach R.E. Davis then the head coach for Jasper would tell us when we were to go to bed.  Then funny thing about it, I can bet the team abided by that curfew. :o

thank goodness the coach came to his senses. as far as "there must be something more to the story". well no, there wasn't. plain and simple. as a parent of past and present students, as long as i give permission as to the whereabouts of my children, i don't see that it is any of a coach,teacher,etc. business to tell them what to do. i have always supported my children in whatever sport or activity they were in. i have taught them to respect authority. but i control what goes on  when they are not in school or at a school related activity.  after getting an attorney's opinion, the coach did overstep his boundaries. just glad everything got worked out. but as it is and always has been in k-ville, it is all about your last name or what your parent's statute is in the community. ashame but true. i know both of these boys and they are not drunks or drugheads. they are good kids and great athletes. i watched them grow up on the little league fields. i wish them both the best.

Guest Penny

What if you thought it was okay for your kid to have hair down to his butt, but the coach has a rule about hair length.  Not commenting one way or the other, just wondering where the line actually is.  I agree about the whole overreaction thing and am glad the correction was made, but I don't think we want to overreact as well against the authority the people in certain positions have.  As they abuse it, we have systems to correct it, as TVC posted.  Some folks can't handle the other side of the arguement where the coaches/authorities word is final.  The best thing I can do for my child is to teach him to understand how to work within the boundaries and restrictions that exist to get the most for himself.  Absolutely I would've told him to fight and buck this thing 100% and I'd abeen right there with him.  I just get worried these days with as TVC put it... "these are my RIGHTS" and everything has to be done to meet em.  I hope everyone reads TVC's post several times and lets it soak in, cuz I think that's how it is.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder