Someone challenge me on this plan...

UNLV

For a team to leave the Big 12 in less than 2 years notice, that team must pay something around $2 million. I'm sure the backyard alley conference of the slc is not charging the same amount. Maybe Lamar can buy of the alley conference to join La Tech in the WAC. Maybe a temporary deal say when L;a Tech leaves, Lamar must leave. Lamar could raise the money to pay for the extra travel by Wac teams until the following year when schedules can be made around Lamar/La Tech travel partners. Lamar fans and alum would be more than happy to pay a little more or donate a little more 1 season just to get out of the alley. I don't see La tech in the WAC past 2012, so we would have 4 years to find a home with the Sunbelt being our finally option. The WAC could use another team especially in Basketball and Swiming. No football travel. Its a good deal all around. We will never get the recruits needed to bring the glory days of the 80's while still in the slc.

My challenge to you is this...

If Lamar can't succeed in this "backyard alley conference", how could they succeed in what I guess you'll call a "more challenging" and "more prestigious" conference...? And travel partners? The two cities are about 300 miles apart, a four and a half hour drive. Those would not be fun travel partners at all especially considering the airport situation. If I was traveling with a team, I wouldn't enjoy that stretch.

Guest abovetherim

If Lamar can't succeed in this "backyard alley conference", how could they succeed in what I guess you'll call a "more challenging" and "more prestigious" conference...? And travel partners? The two cities are about 300 miles apart, a four and a half hour drive. Those would not be fun travel partners at all especially considering the airport situation. If I was traveling with a team, I wouldn't enjoy that stretch.

Texas Terror, I think we have been pretty successful this year. Look at your beloved Commish Cup standing and Lamar has yet to field a football team.

Wouldn't the alley be better off without Lamar, maybe Tarleton st can take our place. I hear they have football.

Guest coachacola

I've read a few of the WAC boards and they are more interested in staying a Western conference than expanding back into Texas.  North Texas would be a natural travel partner for La Tech and they don't want in the WAC.  La Tech sports has really suffered since becoming the only eastern team.  I believe the long travel to the west coast really takes a toll on their athletes.

To be honest, I don't think Lamar is that attractive to any conference right now, especially one that plays FBS football.  Lamar has one of the lowest athletic budgets in the country.  They need to at least double that to be competitive in the WAC or Sunbelt.  Lamar needs to focus on starting football, completing all the facility upgrades that are planned the next 5 years, doubling their budget to at least $8 million a year, then they can start looking at moving to a better conference.

Texas Terror, I think we have been pretty successful this year. Look at your beloved Commish Cup standing and Lamar has yet to field a football team.

My comments are in regard to your basketball team, since that's apparently what UNLV was talking to re: glory days. What has Lamar done in basketball? Outside of a surprise run to the NCAA tournament in 2000, they have not met anything near your expectations. And this is the "lowly" Southland, right?

I've read a few of the WAC boards and they are more interested in staying a Western conference than expanding back into Texas.  North Texas would be a natural travel partner for La Tech and they don't want in the WAC.  La Tech sports has really suffered since becoming the only eastern team.  I believe the long travel to the west coast really takes a toll on their athletes.

Didn't UNT turn down a WAC invite? I think I read that somewhere...and yep, La Tech has suffered. From what I gather, they have really hurt relationships with quite a few other schools, conferences in the region over the years.

To be honest, I don't think Lamar is that attractive to any conference right now, especially one that plays FBS football.  Lamar has one of the lowest athletic budgets in the country.  They need to at least double that to be competitive in the WAC or Sunbelt.  Lamar needs to focus on starting football, completing all the facility upgrades that are planned the next 5 years, doubling their budget to at least $8 million a year, then they can start looking at moving to a better conference.

Can't wait for Cardinal football! There's no telling what kind of program you will have and not sure what kind of effect it will have...who knows, you guys may hurt McNeese and SHSU and get in a battle with Central Arkansas for SLC supremacy...

Guest abovetherim

Yep, I guess you are right. We had something we can consider "The Glory Days." Time the Cardinals and our supporter's move on in my opinion. But, what have the Kats done since they became a DI school? Two conference championships and the 2000 team lost in the SLC Tournament and Lamar went instead. The only other time SHSU has won the SLC they got blown out by Florida by THIRTY.

Really, stick to football. A few OOC victories and choking every year in the SLC Tournament doesn't impress too many people around Lamar University.

I will say we have a great play-by-play man in our assistant SID who is a SHSU alumnus.  8)

Coach, in 5 years there will be no conference to move up too. How many times do I have to say it. The Big east contracts run out in 2010. There will be a mad dash to new conference nation wide. If Lamar wait until everything is perfect, the boat will be gone. Maybe gone for the next 30 years. Then what?  just be happy in the slc?

A slc without Texas st or UTSA. Maybe without SHSU and SFA. How far will Lamar go in a conference with Delta st and Tarleton?  What recruit will choose Lamar over SHSU or SFA?  What good is spend $30 million on football to play in the slc. Finally after our former rivals in ULL, UNT, La tech moved up on us. Leaving us behind. You support the next generation UTSA, Texas st, SHSU to move up on us leaving us behind again. I don't get your logic coach.

Is this why we are spending $30 million on football.

southland 2012

-----------

UT Arlington

Mid-western

Abilene Christian

Centra Ok

West Texas AM

Angelo State

TAM-CC

Nichols st

Delta st

Tarleton st

Texas AM Kingsville

UC Arkansas

My comments are in regard to your basketball team, since that's apparently what UNLV was talking to re: glory days. What has Lamar done in basketball? Outside of a surprise run to the NCAA tournament in 2000, they have not met anything near your expectations. And this is the "lowly" Southland, right?

Didn't UNT turn down a WAC invite? I think I read that somewhere...and yep, La Tech has suffered. From what I gather, they have really hurt relationships with quite a few other schools, conferences in the region over the years.

Can't wait for Cardinal football! There's no telling what kind of program you will have and not sure what kind of effect it will have...who knows, you guys may hurt McNeese and SHSU and get in a battle with Central Arkansas for SLC supremacy...

North Texas did, in fact, turn down an invite to join the WAC.  North Texas has done the western conference thing, having been a member of the Big West, and I doubt will ever do it again.  Not only would the WAC have been costly travel wise, but how many fans do you think would have made the trip to Boise, San Jose, Hawaii, or Fresno?  Plus, the Left Coast conferences are still playing when most of us are in bed.  Two time zones and you would never see the games writeups in the Sunday papers in Houston and Dallas, etc.  No, the WAC thing was not for North Texas and it would be a pipe dream and complete failure for Lamar to go that route.  Plus, what does Lamar have to offer the WAC at this point?  Concentrate on fielding a team first, get the program established, and above all, WIN!

Guest coachacola

I dislike the SLC as much as you do UNLV and I sure don't want Lamar to stay in it much longer, especially if Texas State, UTSA, and others move on to better conferences.  My point was that Lamar has a lot of work to do before Lamar will be invited to a better conference.  Just because we want to move up doesn't mean there's a willing conference to take us.

I think a big reason why Lamar is bringing back football and spending $15 million in facility upgrades is to put themselves in the position to move to a better conference.  I'm sure Simmons and Tubbs know that going back to the SLC was the 2nd major mistake made (dropping football was the 1st), and that's next on their list to be corrected.  But they've got to start football the right way, build up the athletic department, get the men's and women's basketball teams back on top and in the NCAAs, then Lamar will get an invite to a better conference.

The NCAA moratorium ends in the fall of 2011, so after that we should see a lot of movement so Lamar won't get left out in the cold.  Lamar will be about finished with their upgrades and they will have have played a few seasons of football.  I think soon after that Lamar will make it's move, either with a group of SLC schools or without.

I will say we have a great play-by-play man in our assistant SID who is a SHSU alumnus.  8)

I have yet to listen to him on the air, but I've worked with him in the past -- back when he was at SHSU and even during his time at Houston. Regarding your other stuff, I love how I bring up Lamar's inability to succeed in basketball in the "lowly" SLC and then you bring up SHSU. Isn't Lamar supposed to be a basketball university? Your basketball budget has got to be more than ours and I know the expectations are much higher considering most of your fans lived through those "glory years".

I'm very interested to see if Lamar moves out of the SLC. I'll say it again and again, if Texas State - San Marcos and Lamar leave, SHSU will be going with them...not sure what our future brings at that point.

Guest abovetherim

Man, I'm too tired from work and like I stated before I'm not letting things stated on this forum get to me on a personal level. I meant what I stated a few days ago.

Yes, you are correct our basketball budget is probably the highest of any SLC school and probably double that of a few. I heard UTA is starting to spend some money on their basketball programs.

If you haven't heard Drew Lacy maybe you'll get the chance if we get the CBI or WNIT bid. He really does a great job. You'd be proud of your fellow SHSU alumnus.  8)

If Texas St, SHSU, SFA, UNT, ULL, LaTech, and Lamar want a better conference why don't they just start their own?  How hard would it be to find a couple more solid programs to invite?  Maybe you could grab a Rice or SMU.  Let's be real here none of those teams are powerhouses or will create a major buzz in the current conferences. 

If Texas St, SHSU, SFA, UNT, ULL, LaTech, and Lamar want a better conference why don't they just start their own?  How hard would it be to find a couple more solid programs to invite?  Maybe you could grab a Rice or SMU.  Let's be real here none of those teams are powerhouses or will create a major buzz in the current conferences. 

Why not build the Southland into the premier D1AA conference in the country?  Everyone wants to move up, but honestly, there may be no where to go.  No doubt, the Sun Belt is not a premier FBS conference.  But remember, it's the youngest FBS conference in the country, and is improving one step at a time.  The Sun Belt actually ranked higher than the MAC according to Sagarin Rankings.  O.K., not everyone think highly of the Sagarin, but at least it's a gauge of where the Sun belt is heading.  The Sun Belt had a few quality wins this season, most notable was ULM's victory over Alabama.

Conference makeups should/must change in my opinion. Mid-Level conferences are too far spread out.  The is no reason for UTEP to be traveling to La Tech or East Carolina in CUSA.  Or, La TEch to be making trips to Hawaii.  Think of the cost for the non-revenue sports like golf, tennis, softball, baseball, etc.

North Texas did, in fact, turn down an invite to join the WAC.  North Texas has done the western conference thing, having been a member of the Big West, and I doubt will ever do it again.  Not only would the WAC have been costly travel wise, but how many fans do you think would have made the trip to Boise, San Jose, Hawaii, or Fresno?  Plus, the Left Coast conferences are still playing when most of us are in bed.  Two time zones and you would never see the games writeups in the Sunday papers in Houston and Dallas, etc.  No, the WAC thing was not for North Texas and it would be a pipe dream and complete failure for Lamar to go that route.  Plus, what does Lamar have to offer the WAC at this point?  Concentrate on fielding a team first, get the program established, and above all, WIN!

Using your logic, then the best option for North Texas is to rejoin the Southland conference.

I dislike the SLC as much as you do UNLV and I sure don't want Lamar to stay in it much longer, especially if Texas State, UTSA, and others move on to better conferences.  My point was that Lamar has a lot of work to do before Lamar will be invited to a better conference.  Just because we want to move up doesn't mean there's a willing conference to take us.

I think a big reason why Lamar is bringing back football and spending $15 million in facility upgrades is to put themselves in the position to move to a better conference.  I'm sure Simmons and Tubbs know that going back to the SLC was the 2nd major mistake made (dropping football was the 1st), and that's next on their list to be corrected.  But they've got to start football the right way, build up the athletic department, get the men's and women's basketball teams back on top and in the NCAAs, then Lamar will get an invite to a better conference.

The NCAA moratorium ends in the fall of 2011, so after that we should see a lot of movement so Lamar won't get left out in the cold.  Lamar will be about finished with their upgrades and they will have have played a few seasons of football.  I think soon after that Lamar will make it's move, either with a group of SLC schools or without.

No coach, moratorium ends in 2011 as you said but the switching of conferences will begin 2 years before in 2009. Second, I didn't say life time membership in the WAC.

I said Lamar would be out by 2012. The WAC has 9 schools, 8 if you exclude Tech. Half of those 8 schools want out of the Wac. Half of those schools could careless if the WAC added Lamar for 3-4 years until moratorium ended because those 4 schools will be out the WAC in  4 years.

Must be successful rule to move up seem to only apply to Lamar according to everyone here.

Texas st and UTSA are moving up. What made them successful to move up?

What about Monroe?  North Texas?  Lamar has more NCAA tourney wins than North Texas. ULL?    Arkansas st?

UNLV wrote: "Using your logic, then the best option for North Texas is to rejoin the Southland conference.

Drop down from FBS to FCS?  Yeh, right!

My point was that these far reaching, mid-major FBS conferences, including the Sun Belt, need to be re-shuffled.  A re-shuffle of the Sun Belt and CUSA would do wonders for all teams involved.  Heck, a new Southwest Conference would more than regionalize the teams that would be included.  SMU, UTEP, Houston, North Texas, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Louisiana Tech, and either Southern Miss or Arkansas State would be a very nice regional conference with natural rivalries.  Actually, UTEP belongs in the WAC.  I included them because the are a Texas team, but let's face it, El Paso is a long way from Mississippi.

Who knows, Lamar could become a real power in the FCS division and eventually become a member of a regional FBS conference.

UNLV wrote: "Using your logic, then the best option for North Texas is to rejoin the Southland conference.

Drop down from FBS to FBS?  Yeh, right!

My point was that these far reaching, mid-major FBS conferences, including the Sun Belt, need to be re-shuffled.  A re-shuffle of the Sun Belt and CUSA would do wonders for all teams involved.  Heck, a new Southwest Conference would more than regionalize the teams that would be included.  SMU, UTEP, Houston, North Texas, Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Louisiana Tech, and either Southern Miss or Arkansas State would be a very nice regional conference with natural rivalries.  Actually, UTEP belongs in the WAC.  I included them because the are a Texas team, but let's face it, El Paso is a long way from Mississippi.

Who knows, Lamar could become a real power in the FCS division and eventually become a member of a regional FBS conference.

How many times has UNT danced since going to the Sunbelt?  What about football bowls? 

Must be successful rule to move up seem to only apply to Lamar according to everyone here. Texas st and UTSA are moving up. What made them successful to move up?

Why do you think the Bearkats and everyone in the FCS community is ragging on them? The only trip to the Div I playoffs came on the backs of players who were recruited by a coach that broke numerous NCAA rules to get them (Mataskis) -- you guys remember the Nealy/transfer issues, eh?

Must be successful rule to move up seem to only apply to Lamar according to everyone here. Texas st and UTSA are moving up. What made them successful to move up?

Why do you think the Bearkats and everyone in the FCS community is ragging on them? The only trip to the Div I playoffs came on the backs of players who were recruited by a coach that broke numerous NCAA rules to get them (Mataskis) -- you guys remember the Nealy/transfer issues, eh?

What kind of success did SHSU have to move up to DI?  UCA?  AMCC?

What kind of success did SHSU have to move up to DI?  UCA?  AMCC?

SHSU moved up as part of a group with fellow schools Southwest Texas and Stephen F Austin in the Gulf Star Conference. That conference was a bunch of Southland rejects who were making the move from Div II to Div I -- they really were. The Southland ended up calling their and their fellow Gulf Star squads up once the Southland lost a few squads in the late 80s...

Should be noted SWT won back to back Div II titles and SHSU was then a strong suit in softball, volleyball, baseball and men's golf.

UCA had a very strong program in football -- Clint Conque was doing all the right things. They timed it just perfectly with the SLC's efforts to expand. I believe it was UCA vs Tarleton St for that spot (as I think the SLC wanted A&M-CC because they had a strong BKB program and was committed to adding football down the road -- atleast, that's what they said). UCA was further along and had an attractive market (Little Rock) and a reach that the SLC wanted to venture to once more...

A&M-CC was an independent and began their program from scratch. Moved quickly, but not as quick as programs like Florida International and Florida Atlantic. Those schools moved very quickly!

Drop down from FBS to FBS?  Yeh, right!

How many times has UNT danced since going to the Sunbelt?  What about football bowls? 

Been to the dance one time since being in the Belt.  Went to the New Orleans Bowl four times; I made 3 of the 4 bowls and I have to tell you I had a blast.  Nothing like bowling in New Orleans.

Guest roberthollister

Lamar definitely isn't thinking about joining the WAC.  The idea seems wacky.  Don't know about yall' but I sure do miss the old Southwest Conference.  Things never should have fallen apart like they did.  I'd like to see something similar with strong in-state rivalries.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder