Hardin-Jefferson 91' vs Hardin Jefferson 07'

Guest DickVitale

The problem with most  of the really good 3A teams today is they have one of everything.  When I say that I mean...................One good big man.........One good post man............One good shooter who can get the shot off quick...........and so on and so forth.  This team had 4 guys who could shoot the 3 and were pure shooters and could release it quick.  The 2 best big men in the entire state.  One of the best defensive power forwards in the state.  The best point gaurd in the state.  It was amazing.  They had so much depth that it did not matter who was in the game.  In case you guys did not know.  To make this team..........you had to complete a 13 mile run at the seasons beginning.  THEY WOULD RUN A TEAM THAT WAS 7 or 8 DEEP TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize you are just a tad biased towards this team, and i do agree they were a great 3A team................But, they werent the end all be all to basketball as so many HJ fans think.

First, you claim they were the greatest 3A team ever.  Thats a bold statement that can NEVER be supported as fact for obvious reasons.  Navasota(1990-undefeated and destroyed playoff competition), Sweeney(3 titles in 4 years), Clarksville(choose a year), Mexia(2 titles in 3 years), Gainsville(2002-athletes not seen at 3A level often), SA Cole(had a guy name Shaq) and even Kountze(2004) were all great 3A teams that would need to be included in the argument.

Secondly, you claim they HJ had the best point guard AND the two best big men in the ENTIRE state.  Come on, you being serious?  Little 3A Hardin Jefferson had 3 players that were the best at their position in the whole state.  I am pretty sure no team in Texas, ever, can claim that feat(only exception maybe would be Willowridge in 2001).  But i guess you probably think HJ 91 could be them too, right? :)

Well, just from memory here are a few players that played in 90-91 that you claim were not as good as your HJ players:

Greg Ostertag(say what you will about him, but he made it to the league and carved out a decent career)

Jason Sasser(saw time in the league as well)

Troy House(one of the best small school players ever, would have started for HJ)

Greg Austin(manchild for Troup)

Bobby Taylor(NFL, but could play some hoop)

Derrick Battie(saw time in the league as well)

Not mention FW Dunbar had a couple of kids go big time D1 that year also.

Finally, i dont mean to call you out and i understand your support for that HJ team.  They were a great team, ONE of the best 3A teams ever.  HJ has a GREAT program and history, but SOME HJ fans take being a homer to the extreme.  Just like proclaiming a certain player last year as "best guard in the state", "best player in the area", "oh, he's definately going D1", etc. etc. etc.  Guess what, they were wrong.  Though he was/is a hell of a player.  

Thats all, off my rant.

The problem with most  of the really good 3A teams today is they have one of everything.  When I say that I mean...................One good big man.........One good post man............One good shooter who can get the shot off quick...........and so on and so forth.  This team had 4 guys who could shoot the 3 and were pure shooters and could release it quick.  The 2 best big men in the entire state.  One of the best defensive power forwards in the state.  The best point gaurd in the state.  It was amazing.  They had so much depth that it did not matter who was in the game.  In case you guys did not know.  To make this team..........you had to complete a 13 mile run at the seasons beginning.  THEY WOULD RUN A TEAM THAT WAS 7 or 8 DEEP TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize you are just a tad biased towards this team, and i do agree they were a great 3A team................But, they werent the end all be all to basketball as so many HJ fans think.

First, you claim they were the greatest 3A team ever.  Thats a bold statement that can NEVER be supported as fact for obvious reasons.  Navasota(1990-undefeated and destroyed playoff competition), Sweeney(3 titles in 4 years), Clarksville(choose a year), Mexia(2 titles in 3 years), Gainsville(2002-athletes not seen at 3A level often), SA Cole(had a guy name Shaq) and even Kountze(2004) were all great 3A teams that would need to be included in the argument.

Secondly, you claim they HJ had the best point guard AND the two best big men in the ENTIRE state.  Come on, you being serious?  Little 3A Hardin Jefferson had 3 players that were the best at their position in the whole state.  I am pretty sure no team in Texas, ever, can claim that feat(only exception maybe would be Willowridge in 2001).  But i guess you probably think HJ 91 could be them too, right? :)

Well, just from memory here are a few players that played in 90-91 that you claim were not as good as your HJ players:

Greg Ostertag(say what you will about him, but he made it to the league and carved out a decent career)

Jason Sasser(saw time in the league as well)

Troy House(one of the best small school players ever, would have started for HJ)

Greg Austin(manchild for Troup)

Bobby Taylor(NFL, but could play some hoop)

Derrick Battie(saw time in the league as well)

Not mention FW Dunbar had a couple of kids go big time D1 that year also.

Finally, i dont mean to call you out and i understand your support for that HJ team.  They were a great team, ONE of the best 3A teams ever.  HJ has a GREAT program and history, but SOME HJ fans take being a homer to the extreme.  Just like proclaiming a certain player last year as "best guard in the state", "best player in the area", "oh, he's definately going D1", etc. etc. etc.  Guess what, they were wrong.  Though he was/is a heck of a player.  

Thats all, off my rant.

Ok you made a good point and all and i can tell you really know what youre takin about and i give you props for that but the 04 Kountze team would have been demolished by any team you just mentioned them with

Guest nostradamus
Just like proclaiming a certain player last year as "best guard in the state", "best player in the area", "oh, he's definately going D1", etc. etc. etc.  Guess what, they were wrong.  Though he was/is a heck of a player.

He was the best 3A guard in the state and according to TABC was the best player in 3A.  He had DI offers and CHOSE not to take them.  He CHOSE to go juco and take a chance at getting better DI offers.

As for the other comments regarding the post players from '91 being the best in the state.  Knowing who made those statements, I can tell you they meant in 3A.  Those that made those statements are very knowledgeable about the talent in the state that year.

Just like proclaiming a certain player last year as "best guard in the state", "best player in the area", "oh, he's definately going D1", etc. etc. etc.  Guess what, they were wrong.  Though he was/is a heck of a player.

He was the best 3A guard in the state and according to TABC was the best player in 3A.  He had DI offers and CHOSE not to take them.  He CHOSE to go juco and take a chance at getting better DI offers.

As for the other comments regarding the post players from '91 being the best in the state.  Knowing who made those statements, I can tell you they meant in 3A.  Those that made those statements are very knowledgeable about the talent in the state that year.

I think you and I both know how TABC works, and how kids gets get elected, nominated, etc. 

I am not saying he wasnt the best guard in the state last year, i dont know.  But just because TABC said so, doesnt mean he is. 

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the 91 HJ team drop 165 or 166 on Hardin for a state record for most points in a game?  I didn't seem them play that year but I saw them the year before and they were lightning quick and would stop on a dime and pull up and shoot the three with a hair trigger.  Is that still the record in the state?  Anyone know more details?

Guest nostradamus

The '91 team scored 160+ one time.  However, the '91 team averaged 90 ppg.  It was the '92 team that lead the nation in scoring at 110.4 ppg and set a state scoring record for most points in a game at 167.  That team beat 10 opponenets by 100 or more points.  They set and still hold many state records and have several national top 10 rankings currently. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder