Your teams biggest rival and what created the rivalry?

its not a rivalry if you get outscored 185-20 in six years....bc/of is no rivalry its just a short drive.

Same reason WO-S/BC can't be a "rivalry for at least five more years. WO-S is undefeated in something like 16 games.

No doubt the Nederland "game" being referred to is the controversial 2000 game in which Paul Thomas returned a dropped "lateral" for a TD to seal the win for WO-S. Although admittedly replays show that the ball was moving SLIGHTLY forward, NED coach Larry Neumann even admitted on Chalk Talk that it was a trick play and that refs were briefed before the game that it was coming and NOT to blow it dead. It was a fake incomplete that the Ned WR was supposed to pick up and run with. He even said "It's worked before, but it's also come back to bite us in a big way." Still, I can't blame ned folks for holding that play in their heads, even though the WO-S 2000 D, which I think to be our best ever, would never have allowed a score anyway ;)

I think our biggest rivalry, honestly, is with Bay City. To be a "rivalry," the record has to be SOMEWHAT close. I think we're 5-2 or 5-3 with them, and it's always a great game. The Jasper series is my favorite, but the odds are very heavily in our favor despite the fact that it's usually a barn-burner. With cross-town teams LC-M and BC, the record is so heavily weighed in our favor that it can't POSSIBLY be considered a rivalry, even though our hatred for LC-M, for their unscrupulous (according to the UIL) way of dealing with our DQ in 92, surpasses all others.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This rivalry started in the 30's between Timpson and Garrison. The towns are less than 10 miles apart. For the first 50 years the rivalry was a very heated competitive one, with each school getting the "win", every other year. Fist fights at the games on the field, and almost always before and after weren't uncommon. The usual vandalism of the other towns water tower, school, field etc. were pretty much standard operating procedure back in those days. Some of the games were legendary. It's not as dramatic as it used to be since Timpson hasn't been competitve in years. However, it's still a pretty big draw in the area, and it's usually still standing room only. I'm hoping with Lucky Gamble at the helm up in Timpson things will get a little more interesting.

• 1 month later...

As you can tell by all the chatter on the message board, Hull-Daisetta and West Hardin is a pretty big rival game. I call it our own little PNG/Nederland game. I wish somebody actually had the overall history of the matchup to find out how far it goes back. I've talked to several old timers around town and found out the scoop of when the rivalry began. Back in the 20's and 30's Batson and Daisetta were two of the wildest outlaw towns around during the oil boom. Saloons, shootings, and outright chaos was common in both places. What I was told is that the roughnecks in Batson were jealous of the success of the oil fields in Daisetta early on. The fields where then booming in Batson and Saratoga and hit a slow spot in Hull/Daisetta. This caused tension between the two towns because jobs were given to people who lived in the closet proximity to work. If it was booming in one town and slow in another, that's how the economic impact was played out. After time it just grew from hatred and jealousy in real life and ended up on the playing fields between the two schools. I've heard this from a bunch of folks so I believe it. I dont' know how far back the football rivalry goes, but I know when you're a little kid at Hull-Daisetta, you know one thing very early on: losing to West Hardin is not acceptable....lol.

This year's game looks to add another great one to the record books!!

HD and WH goes back as far as I can remember' date='fight each other on Friday night and drink beer together on Sat. I dont think the people from each town hate each other it is just a matter of pride on one Fri. night of the year.[/quote']

I agree. I had several guys that I became good friends with that I played against from jr. high on up from WH. Today it's a brutal rivalry on the football field and not real life. I think back in the old days there was some serious hatred and jealousy going on.

one of our biggest and best rivals is Jasper. it started in 1986, our first year in 4A coming down from 5A. we were extremely confident going into that game at our home field. i think everyone on the wos side thought no 4A school could beat us since we dropped down from 5A. Jasper gave us a rude awakening that night to the tune of, i think it was 21-8. however we got revenge later on in the playoffs. we beat jasper 21-15 in the third round and went on to win our first state championship. and wos and jasper have been going at it ever since.

one of our biggest and best rivals is Jasper. it started in 1986' date=' our first year in 4A coming down from 5A. we were extremely confident going into that game at our home field. i think everyone on the wos side thought no 4A school could beat us since we dropped down from 5A. Jasper gave us a rude awakening that night to the tune of, i think it was 21-8. however we got revenge later on in the playoffs. we beat jasper 21-15 in the third round and went on to win our first state championship. and wos and jasper have been going at it ever since.[/quote']

I remember both of those games. I stood in shock as WO-S ran the guard around late in the game to gain the lead. My memory is kinda sketchy, maybe some of our WO-S friends can tell us how that game went down.

If you talk to anybody ages 70-40 PNG/Jackets rivalery has been lost in the shuffle but was as big as PNG/Ned. If you can remember "Poor little NDN boy's, jackets going to sting those NDN boy's. J A C K E T S - sting um jackets sting um. And all this was sung to the indians fight song, by the jacket band. Please, my wife and mother still sing that just to fire me up. Love to see PNG and Memorial renew that rivalery, "BATTLE OF THE PORTS".

The 2000 WOS/Ned play was not a trick play... and Neumann never commented that it was. It was a simple swing pass to the rb out of the backfield. Nederland does have what they call an "Aggie Pass", which is intentionally lateralled into the ground to a wide receiver and a forward pass is then thrown... and that has to be communicated to the officials prior to the game. But, that was not the play call, it was a swing pass out of the backfield to Joe Ramoin... trust me, I remember that game/play vividly. It was very exciting... I think the only post game quotes from coaches that I remember were " the good lord giveth and the good lord taketh away"... I think Dan summed it up pretty well that night.

one of our biggest and best rivals is Jasper. it started in 1986' date=' our first year in 4A coming down from 5A. we were extremely confident going into that game at our home field. i think everyone on the wos side thought no 4A school could beat us since we dropped down from 5A. Jasper gave us a rude awakening that night to the tune of, i think it was 21-8. however we got revenge later on in the playoffs. we beat jasper 21-15 in the third round and went on to win our first state championship. and wos and jasper have been going at it ever since.[/quote']

From the Jasper perspective, yes WOS is one of our biggest rivals, along with Silsbee, Newton, and Bridge City. But just to get the juices flowing, I do love to see Jasper beat Kirbyville!!!! :twisted: :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...

Garrison and Timpson are crazy.... my dad played for Garrison (bulldogs)... he said in his senior year that some Timpson players hung a dead dog at the school by the field house.... and that one of the players on his team stole the Timpson mascot....

the story of the way the rivalry got started was that some Garrison guys went town to the attoyac river to meet some girls from timpson... the timpson football guys didn't like that and thats how the entire thing got started... the attoyac river seperates the two towns that are only 7 miles away... and each year when they play its called "The Battle of the Attoyac".

Of course PN-G vs Nederland in all sports.

Reason: Birth

PN-G vs LC-M in baseball

Reason: Two good programs plus some things that happen during fall or summer league games. There was a time when I was in school that the benches cleared during one summer game. Even though we wanted to beat Nederland we had a lot of respect for those guys considering the Babe Ruth connection but we just flat out could not stand LC-M.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder