LSU Walks Off the Floor Before National Anthem -- Iowa Stands and Wins!

Reagan

22 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Haven't you realized yet that if someone doesn't understand something or doesn't agree with something then it's fake news.  Then they have their bobble heads join in with the me-too chorus!   LOL!

I simply made the point that I think athletes should be present for the National Anthem, not specifically about a particular coach or team.  Apparently myself, as well as the governor of LA didn't realize this was so common in college basketball, not for any other reason than final preparation.

I still think they should be present, simply out of respect.

1 minute ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I simply made the point that I think athletes should be present for the National Anthem, not specifically about a particular coach or team.  Apparently myself, as well as the governor of LA didn't realize this was so common in college basketball, not for any other reason that final preparation.

I still think they should be present, simply out of respect.

I think you are one of the majority that feels all teams should be present for the National Anthem.  It's clear if your team is not there then that means you don't want to.  Again, it's not that difficult to have your team on the floor when it's played.  

23 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I think you are one of the majority that feels all teams should be present for the National Anthem.  It's clear if your team is not there then that means you don't want to.  Again, it's not that difficult to have your team on the floor when it's played.  

But I also want it to be the school's choice, certainly wouldn't want government involved in mandating something like this, which is being floated around. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Haven't you realized yet that if someone doesn't understand something or doesn't agree with something then it's fake news.  Then they have their bobble heads join in with the me-too chorus!   LOL!

Are you for real or have you been trolling us all this time?  

51 minutes ago, Boyz N Da Hood said:

Disrespectful or not, first amendment applies here... why is it the same ones complaining about rights etc being taken away have an issue with this? Hypocrisy at its finest SMH

So if a player is Muslim, should they be allowed to roll out their mat and worship Allah in the middle of a game?

Freedom of religion, right?

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

So if a player is Muslim, should they be allowed to roll out their mat and worship Allah in the middle of a game?

Freedom of religion, right?

Has to be one of if not the worst comebacks ever! Congrats... but to answer, I've never seen that happen and if they decide to do that then yeah the 1st amendment gives them that right! Or should your beliefs interfere with theirs? Yall folks are hypocrits

51 minutes ago, Boyz N Da Hood said:

Has to be one of if not the worst comebacks ever! Congrats... but to answer, I've never seen that happen and if they decide to do that then yeah the 1st amendment gives them that right! Or should your beliefs interfere with theirs? Yall folks are hypocrits

You don’t even understand what you’re talking about, they absolutely do have the right to do that, but the school has the right to take disciplinary action, it happens with what kids say on social media, they have the right to say it, but the school can punish them for breaking protocol.

If I set in a meeting tomorrow with a customer and my boss and rag on our company, I have the first amendment right to say it, but they have the right to fire me for saying it.

You’re first amendment right argument that folks are immune to consequences is bogus.

I would like to see schools set protocol to stand for the National Anthem, if you don’t, there may be consequences, but it should entirely be up to the school.

58 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

You don’t even understand what you’re talking about, they absolutely do have the right to do that, but the school has the right to take disciplinary action, it happens with what kids say on social media, they have the right to say it, but the school can punish them for breaking protocol.

If I set in a meeting tomorrow with a customer and my boss and rag on our company, I have the first amendment right to say it, but they have the right to fire me for saying it.

You’re first amendment right argument that folks are immune to consequences is bogus.

I would like to see schools set protocol to stand for the National Anthem, if you don’t, there may be consequences, but it should entirely be up to the school.

SMH, glad to know you're anti 1st amendment! Sounds like you encourage more upper involvement to set "protocol"... when did I say anyone was immune to consequences? Guess I'd rather no 1 tell me what I can and can't do within my rights.. sounds like your for more government involvement.. again, hypocrits

Last post on this subject for me, you and @Reagan enjoy 

9 hours ago, Boyz N Da Hood said:

SMH, glad to know you're anti 1st amendment! Sounds like you encourage more upper involvement to set "protocol"... when did I say anyone was immune to consequences? Guess I'd rather no 1 tell me what I can and can't do within my rights.. sounds like your for more government involvement.. again, hypocrits

Last post on this subject for me, you and @Reagan enjoy 

It's a shame you don't understand that there are sometime consequences to saying something, even though it is guaranteed under you first amendment rights.

Most folks learn that at an early age, apparently you didn't.

32 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Someone may have already posted this, but "they" should mandate the National Anthem be the last thing before tip-off so all have the chance to be present. At that point, there are no more excuses.

And just like that, the  outrage puzzle has been solved (and I’m not being facetious - the best solutions are the simplest).  

49 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

But only mandated by the school, wouldn’t you agree?

Normally the player introductions are the last thing done just before tip off.  Do the anthem right before or right after that.  Only issue is normally bands play school song right after anthem.  Those would need to be done ahead of time to keep it from being too long. 

15 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No they don't.  

As far back as 1943, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that requiring all public school students to recite the pledge of allegiance was a violation of their First Amendment rights, because free speech includes the right not to speak against your beliefs (West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

This is the hidden content, please

21 minutes ago, Big girl said:

No they don't.  

As far back as 1943, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that requiring all public school students to recite the pledge of allegiance was a violation of their First Amendment rights, because free speech includes the right not to speak against your beliefs (West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

This is the hidden content, please

Being present on the floor for team protocol is not the same thing.

33 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Being present on the floor for team protocol is not the same thing.

. You can't make them  be present and then snatch schlorships if they refuse. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen

Funny how they used to sign off all 3 networks with the National Anthem. They had the 1st amendment way back then. I guess they just failed to exercise their rights. The National Anthem has been played at most every sporting event I can recall. We also said the Pledge of Allegiance every day in school. I think they started getting away from that when the atheist’s lawsuit kept prayer out of school. Maybe the term allegiance scares the communists. Funny how that offends people and their 1st amendment rights NOT to say it overrule everybody else’s right TO say it.