Orangefield vs. Silsbee (OF) Championship/SILSBEE WINS BY 1

Master T

Obviously Orangefield dictated the pace and style of this game( or at least they had help in doing it, is what I have been told about the place) A win is a win. I look for Silsbee to sweep Orangefield a little easier come district time.

AggiesAreWe if you looked in the dictionary under  your picture would be there. You were not even there and you can make a comment like that.

Well I was there. OF has some great shooters by the way and great free throwers. In the first half nearly half of OF point was off of foree throw shooting. Ref kept calling foul on Silsbee alot when there were no fouls there. OF did have alot of help tonight though but I do think they could be a contender for a 3rd playoff spot though #33 was dominating tonight.

Tigers down Bobcats in thriller to win OF tourney

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — The Orangefield Bobcats almost caught some Tigers by the tail in the championship game of the Orangefield Tournament Saturday.

The Bobcats executed their game-plan to almost perfection but too many turnovers and shaky free-throw shooting down the backstretch enabled the Silsbee Tigers to get past the Bobcats 50-49.

Dynamic Silsbee guard Douglas Howard, who finished with 17 points, put the Tigers (10-2) ahead to stay when the tournament Most Valuable Player split two Bobcats and hit a tough layup with 0:15 left to put Silsbee up by a point. The Tigers tallied nine of the game’s final 11 points.

The Bobcats showed plenty of patience in finding the last shot. Sophomore Derrick Evans got a nice look with 0:01 left. Evans put up a very nice-looking jumper along the right side and the ball did everything but go in as it rattled in the rim and rolled around the top before falling off as Silsbee was able to breathe a sigh of relief.

The Bobcats (8-3) and Coach Rea Wrinkle wanted to hold the Tigers under 60 points and they did just that with tenacious defense throughout the game.

“We came out with a good gameplan and the kids executed well for the most part,†Wrinkle said. “We made some tough mistakes down the stretch, but I can’t fault their effort because they went all-out. Free throws hurt us late, we make those, we probably win this thing.â€

As far as the Evans’ shot?

“Man, I thought that thing was going in,†Wrinkle said. “I was about ready to drop to the floor. Derrick got a good look and I really thought he knocked it down at first.â€

Wrinkle was proud of the way the Bobcats played against their District 21-3A counterparts _ a team that made it all the way to the 3A Region III Finals last year, losing to another 21-3A rival in what was eventual state champion Hardin-Jefferson.

“Silsbee has a tremendous team and I thought our kids gained a lot of respect tonight,†Wrinkle said. “We thought we had a chance if we kept the game in the 50-point range. We did that, but things got a little crazy at the end, the way Silsbee likes it and that was a big key.â€

Orangefield controlled the tempo well, especially in the first half. The Bobcats led the Tigers 17-9 after one period of play and watched Silsbee cut the margin to 29-28 at the half.

Turnovers and the charity stripe proved to be the Bobcats’ downfall in the waning minutes.

The Bobcats committed 20 turnovers but had eight of them in the fourth period. Orangefield was awesome from the foul line in the first half, connecting on 17-of-21 but converted only 1-of-8 free throws in the second half.

The Bobcats even outrebounded the taller Tigers 33-29. Silsbee, however, finished with just seven turnovers. The Tigers were only 2-of-7 from the free-throw line.

Sophomore all-tournament selection Zach Hayes led the Orangefield attack, popping for 19 points while yanking down nine rebounds. Gritty guard Tyler Angelle ripped off nine points and did well amongst the big boys in the paint by snagging eight rebounds. Post Devin Green contributed eight points while fellow post Jeremy Granger, who made all-tournament, had six points and seven rebounds.

Guard Shannon Robinson pumped in 13 points for the Tigers. Post Avery Thomas had eight points and five rebounds while Nick Waters led Silsbee with six boards.

The Bobcats return to action Monday when they play host to Little Cypress-Mauriceville.

AggiesAreWe if you looked in the dictionary under  your picture would be there. You were not even there and you can make a comment like that.

First of all, how do you know I wasn't there? Secondly, look at the free throw attempts, 29 for Orangefield, 7 for Silsbee, if that's not one sided, what is? A team that goes to the line 4 times more than the other, that team is getting the calls, plain and simple.

Guest catfever

I really don't understand why you would think that the foul count would be the same.  Two different types of defensive styles.  Silsbee runs a full court press with a lot of pressure.  OF runs half court sagging man.  Sounds like OF should have shot more free throws, yet they called more fouls on OF in the second half than Silsbee.  Yeah, OF really got the benefit of the refs.  Give me a break.  OF should have won.  Missed free throws in the second half.  Can't wait til district.

Well I was there. OF has some great shooters by the way and great free throwers. In the first half nearly half of OF point was off of foree throw shooting. Ref kept calling foul on Silsbee alot when there were no fouls there. OF did have alot of help tonight though but I do think they could be a contender for a 3rd playoff spot though #33 was dominating tonight.

I was there also and Silsbee fouled a LOT. This isn't street ball, you can't make all the contact you want in order to get the ball. There were actually several fouls I can think of that were not called on Silsbee that were very obvious, starting with the hit in the FACE by a Silsbee player right in front of the ref and he didn't call it. The Orangefield player had a mark on his face that could be seen from the stands. It would be nice if someone would just congratulate a team for playing a good game (without saying the refs did all the work for them), and it was a very good game by both teams. Congratulations to Silsbee for never letting up and coming off with the win. Can't wait til district.

the ref's seem to be very inconsistent this year for some reason, maybe they are just more sensitive or something, it seems that if the crowd doesn't like a call the players on the court get punished!

anyway

CONGRATS! to silsbee and, hey, GREAT! job Bobcats!!!!!! great game by both, district is going to be exciting!

the ref's seem to be very inconsistent this year for some reason, maybe they are just more sensitive or something, it seems that if the crowd doesn't like a call the players on the court get punished!

anyway

CONGRATS! to silsbee and, hey, GREAT! job Bobcats!!!!!! great game by both, district is going to be exciting!

I could not of said it any better.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed