Lamar's first football coach

The coach that Lamar should go after from day one is Don Carthel at West Texas A & M University.  That is, if Carthel is the type of guy who would want to start up a program from scratch.

Many fans at North Texas wanted Carthel over Todd Dodge.  Carthel has built a winning program at WTAM in a few short years and attendance averaged around 14,000 this past season.  Two home games played this season brought 23,000+ and 22,000+ fans to the game.  And that's for games played in Canyon, Texas!  Here's the link to Carthels's bio.

This is the hidden content, please

I shared an office for a while with a former West Texas A&M student.  He had nothing but great things to say about that coach and the program.

One warning, though:  West Texas A&M Football benefits from the "nothing else to do" factor.  Their football games are the biggest thing on those plains short of the Big Texan Steak.  I know he's a good  coach, but I don't know how well the attendance would translate.

I have spoke with him on the subject. There is not a lot I can say now, but the bowl game will be over soon. We spoke on how he would recruit and where and I did get some of his thoughts on how to make the program work and with what I was told he would be on the right track.

So he is interested? I see he recruits alot of athletes from here.

Who ever it is, it has to be a college coach....head, OC,DC.......And not one washed up.....

Based on what I've seen with our basketball team.  We don't need some assistant coach who is supposed to be a recruiting whiz.  We've gone that route several times with the basketball team with miserable results.  I think we need someone that's proven they can coach and win.  If it's high school, jc, or a small university...I don't really care...but I definitely think we need a proven winner.

Guest abovetherim

I agree with doc here. I have some information about money already pledged for Lamar University football and there is NO WAY LU hires a HC from high school. If they do, then I question the research Billy Tubbs recently stated they have invested into the possible return of football at Lamar University.

Question, would do start a multiple million dollar company with a sharp young man with a bachelor's degree or would you hire an experienced older man with a master's degree? I say, hire both with the promise of promoting the younger man once the older man decides to move on or retire.

Guest abovetherim

How would ya'll feel about Craig Stump? He coached at Mississippi State as a Recievers coach for a few years.

Personally, I'd love him to be the OC and heir apparent to become the next head coach. I even think Lamar could put together a financial package a lot better than he currently has a West Brook.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124