Landry Picked As Freshman All American

Landry picked as freshman All-American

LAKE CHARLES, La. - McNeese State shortstop Shon Landry was named to the 2006 Louisville Slugger freshman All-American baseball team as selected by Collegiate Baseball.

Landry, from Orange, helped the Cowboys to a regular season Southland Conference Championship. He hit .291 on the season and led the SLC with 24 stolen bases.

Wonder why more of these local kids don't go to Lamar?

That is a very good question...one of the best ever asked on this board.

Lamar has established a pattern of seeing a lot of the 'top' talent go elsewhere. In part, that is due to their failure to actively/timely recruit that talent. For example, the 2 top talents in the 2006 class (Ehlert and Angelle) signed elsewhere and were not even recruited by Lamar until late.

Take the year before (2005 class) -- the Ewing brothers from West Brook. James was not recruited by Lamar at all -- he was the starting 2B as a freshman, hit over .300 and helped the Razorback make the NCAAs. His brother (partially recruited by Lamar, but very late) Michael started as an OF from Southern Mississippi, led them in a number of offensive categories and they, too, made the NCAAs. Lamar? They again stayed at home.

Not to say that Lamar has not signed talented kids. The Smith kid from Nederland is probably going to be quite a coup for them. Nevertheless, most (if not all) Lamar signs locally are players who 'settle' for LU instead of get recruited by them. They just don't do a good job. JMO.

As far as McNeese, they made a good sign on the Haymon kid from BC. He is still gaining strength from his Tommy John surgery and projects to be quite a catch by his soph/jr seasons. I really like the 2 kids from Sulphur (Conrad and Simon). Conrad may very well develop into a top shelf D1 pitcher there. LSU got on him, but late (and then there was the coaching change) -- good sign for the Cowboys.

If you want to change your recruiting results, maybe you need to change who/how you recruit. Again, JMO . . . .

When it comes to kids from southeast Gilligan is a bargain shopper.Gilligan preys on the kids that want to stay close to home."We are out of money and can't give you very much "is a poor recruiting strategy.Also taking money away from a three year starter won't build much loyalty.Please don't take this as a put down to the kids that choose to go to Lamar.A whole lot of great young men have and do play for Lamar.There is a whole lot more to recruiting than money.With only 11.7 scholarships no one has lots of money.It is a package of athletics,academics,social life,playing time,distance to girl friend,etc..

Guest bleed orange

12ball, I am proud of you also. You are a super young man. I don't worry about you because what ever you decide to do in life I know you will succed. You are special young man.

I know Josh Gray almost left before his breakout season, because Gilligan tried to cut his scholarship back. Cloeren is another kid that has hurt Lamar. The point is that Texas is one of the top 3 or 4 hotbeds of talent in the whole country. The question is why spend so much money and time recruiting out of state? Is there really that many baseball players coming out of New York?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nanoflowcell
    Newest Member
    nanoflowcell