lamar football

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abovetherim

They'll take the best player available at each position. I hope much of the team is made up of SE Texas talent. But, you bring up the basketball program. Who is the areas #1 prospect? Easy answer, it's J'Covan Brown at PAM and I know for a fact Coach Roc spent FOUR years recruiting this young man and even has his older brother as a team manager. What's J'Covan do; give a verbal pledge to UT. Roc was loyal to the kid, his family and did everything possible to sign him. Same with Henry Dugat at Dayton. What is Dugat doing at Baylor? We'll let's just say he'd be getting a lot more minutes at Lamar.

Am I upset J'Covan is set on signing with UT. Well, one UT is my second favorite team so I'll still enjoy watching him play and second, as much as I love Lamar I'm not sure I could say no to UT. They are on TV, one of the elite programs in the nation and maybe he feels he has a better shot at a NBA career at UT. Now, 6-3 SG's in the NBA come a dime a dozen. The norm is 6-6 to 6-8. He might look to adjusting to the point.

Now, back to football. I personally don't care where they are from, who is their dad or mom, what HS they attended. I just want Lamar to be successful and at any sport on the college level at the end of the day the program, coaching staff and players are measured by their win versus loss record.

Great debate and thread guys. Go Cards!!!!!

They'll take the best player available at each position. I hope much of the team is made up of SE Texas talent. But, you bring up the basketball program. Who is the areas #1 prospect? Easy answer, it's J'Covan Brown at PAM and I know for a fact Coach Roc spent FOUR years recruiting this young man and even has his older brother as a team manager. What's J'Covan do; give a verbal pledge to UT. Roc was loyal to the kid, his family and did everything possible to sign him. Same with Henry Dugat at Dayton. What is Dugat doing at Baylor? We'll let's just say he'd be getting a lot more minutes at Lamar.

Am I upset J'Covan is set on signing with UT. Well, one UT is my second favorite team so I'll still enjoy watching him play and second, as much as I love Lamar I'm not sure I could say no to UT. They are on TV, one of the elite programs in the nation and maybe he feels he has a better shot at a NBA career at UT. Now, 6-3 SG's in the NBA come a dime a dozen. The norm is 6-6 to 6-8. He might look to adjusting to the point.

Now, back to football. I personally don't care where they are from, who is their dad or mom, what HS they attended. I just want Lamar to be successful and at any sport on the college level at the end of the day the program, coaching staff and players are measured by their win versus loss record.

Great debate and thread guys. Go Cards!!!!!

If they want community support that's what it takes, winners!! I would also love to see it happen.

I'd love to see J'Covan Brown go to Lamar, but you can't really expect a kid with top-25 talent to go to what has been an average team in a very weak conference over the past several years.  Now the cards look a bit better this year, so maybe if they start winning more games they'll get more of the local stars.  Of course, when and if lamar starts it's football team, it's going to have to start winning games before the bigtime stars from this area are going to stay and play there.  Even if lamar gets really good, they're still in a weak conference, and aren't going to steal players from texas or tech or aTm who are playing on a much larger stage. 

Guest abovetherim

You're correct normally you can't hope or expect a player like that to sign with a low to mid major program but think of all the time Coach Roc spent on this one young man. I think that they or at least Roc thought they developed at great relationship. Everything you posted is correct and very logical but what if Lamar was invited to join a better conference in the future and they do in fact bring back football.

I think the only limits one should place on themselves are those of their own mind. I'm forty and I'm going back to Lamar to finished up my degree in nursing. Now, at the age of twenty you said I was going to be an RN I'd laughed at you. Now, I just pray I can finish my masters in nursing. A lot can and does change in twenty years.

Uninformed about baseball: 2007 roster for Lamar: 27 from Texas, (12 from triangle), 9 from the rest of the country and Canada.  1 from NY - Ambort(what a steal to get him!)  3 triangle signees already for this year.

THE 1 FROM NEW YORK I MET HIM AND HES REALLY TALL.. HEARD HE WAS A REALLY GOOD PITCHER TOO..

Players I wouldnt mind see playing for Lamar

QB- Aaron Hazlewood, Tramain Thomas

RB- Cody Hussey, Pierce Rhodes, Depauldrick Garrett

TE- Zach McMahon, Vance McDonald

FB- Broderick Jackson

OL- Chase Ferguson, Daniel Paulus

C-  Blake Moss, maybe even Derrick Moss if he could convert to center

DL-  Quinn Foster Jr.

LB- Mike Jenkens, J. Viator

CB- Nelson Watson

S- Thomas Wolcott, Cameron Burrell

Players I wouldnt mind see playing for Lamar

QB- Aaron Hazlewood, Tramain Thomas

RB- Cody Hussey, Pierce Rhodes, Depauldrick Garrett

TE- Zach McMahon, Vance McDonald

FB- Broderick Jackson

OL- Chase Ferguson, Daniel Paulus

C-   Blake Moss, maybe even Derrick Moss if he could convert to center

DL-  Quinn Foster Jr.

LB- Mike Jenkens, J. Viator

CB- Nelson Watson

S- Thomas Wolcott, Cameron Burrell

what? no dayton players?  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Guest abovetherim

Dayton has several good players that would be great prospects for a Lamar football team but this guys list isn't bad either. Some really good players on there.

A new plan gives four-year season passes to students who support start-up of LU football program, officials announced.

If Lamar University students approve a referendum in January to start a football program at Lamar University, and the Texas State University System Board of Regents approves the measure in February, it will start the clock running toward the first conference games in Fall 2010.

These actions would immediately create the need for money to hire a coach, to begin renovations and construction on a football complex and to support other activities related to bringing the sport to Lamar.  To secure the funds, the university would issue revenue bonds against the anticipated revenue generated by the student fee. 

Originally, the university administration had planned to begin charging the student fee in Fall 2008, collecting the fees during the two years before the beginning of conference play in order to have funds available for construction.  The revised plan is to defer the student fee until Fall 2009. The university will meet the needs during the first year from other revenue sources. 

Football scrimmage games would begin in Fall 2009. To make the proposal better for students, the administration plans to provide non-transferable four-year season passes to all students who pay the fee during 2009.  Under the new plan, all students will have opportunity to experience four years of conference football, said Billy Tubbs, director of athletics.

In the plan under consideration, all students who pay the football fees in 2009 will receive non-transferable season passes to all home games during the LU football seasons in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. 

?We want to be certain that all students who help bring back football get as much opportunity to participate as others,? said James Simmons, president of Lamar University. ?We believe this new plan will allow all students who pay the football fee in 2009 to be a part of excitement.? 

In the current ?best case? timeline, a football coach would be hired in Spring 2008, after board approval is received, and begin building the program by recruiting the first 30 players. Construction on the football complex would begin and be completed by Fall 2009.

In the 2009 season, the team would play intra squad scrimmage games, with 30 players on scholarship.  An additional 30 players would be recruited, bringing the squad total to 60.  Conference play would begin in fall 2010.

He signs a LOT from the area....FEW play from the area.  Thank you very much for the info but I've been there, seen that first hand.  He asks for players to "sign" in the area (as free as he can get), then uses the majority of the money for out of towners.  There ARE exceptions.  DeLome, for one.  But I have seen first hand him giving a scholarship to a local player, then take it away the next year but ask the kid to stay on.  NOTHING you can say will change my mind against LU baseball.  I KNOW what goes on.

Thank GOD!!!  Someone else knows what's going on with Lamar baseball!  I know exactly what you are saying, stangchain!  I played(was there) for a year and lost passion for the game!  For that very reason!  Brings in the local talent to only keep others off THEIR backs!  I TOO KNOW WHAT GOES ON THERE.  Hope that this dosen't happen with football! 

That shouldn't happen with football.  It didn't when I was there (that I know of).  It may be a different culture in football.  The recruiters basically gave a "gentleman's" agreement to you that it is a 4 year ride even though it is a 1 year renewable scholarship.  Even some of the guys that have "career ending" injuries stay on.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder