San Antonio Pieper vs Liberty Hill - 5aD2 Region 4 Championship

Rez Ipsa

San Antonio Pieper vs Liberty Hill - 5aD2 Region 4 Final  

32 members have voted

1. 1. San Antonio Pieper or Liberty Hill?

This is an interesting one. Pieper is brand new but riding a 12-1 season and the hot arm of Jake South’s 41 touchdowns in only their second year of varsity play. Last week they upset Alamo Heights, a favorite to win Region 4. Liberty Hill returns to its familiar spot in the Region 4 Final, but appears more vulnerable than ever with four losses on the season, including one suffered in Week 10 from a dominant Pieper squad for the district championship. 

Pieper looks like the favorite, and if you watch these two teams’ last matchup (available on YouTube), a second win looks likely. It’s hard to beat a good team twice, and Liberty Hill is good. Pieper is better, but Liberty Hill’s playoff experience is an advantage. It’s a toss up, but I think the winner of PNG-Huntsville will be playing Pieper for a trip to AT&T. 

I’m sure Pieper will be favored.  Liberty Hill has been to the Region Final all 4 years they have been in 5A.  I don’t think their first matchup has much importance.  Liberty Hill had five 2nd half turnovers in that game and lost by 10.  LH likes to ground and pound with the slot-T and Pieper looks like they like to sling it.  This looks like another of these Reg 4 Finals where the punters can stay home.  I see a shootout.  Flip a coin for the winner.

47 minutes ago, Eazy said:

I’m sure Pieper will be favored.  Liberty Hill has been to the Region Final all 4 years they have been in 5A.  I don’t think their first matchup has much importance.  Liberty Hill had five 2nd half turnovers in that game and lost by 10.  LH likes to ground and pound with the slot-T and Pieper looks like they like to sling it.  This looks like another of these Reg 4 Finals where the punters can stay home.  I see a shootout.  Flip a coin for the winner.

You’re right that most of what went wrong for LH in the last game isn’t replicable (fumbles, interceptions, etc). Pieper should still win, but I’m anticipating a closer game. 

Edited by Rez Ipsa

24 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Im gonna predict Lovejoy over SOC

9 minutes ago, Eazy said:

Yea, Me too

I think the 2 teams that could take out SOC before Arlington are already on the couch, one courtesy of SOC themselves. We'll see though....🤷🏾‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I think the 2 teams that could take out SOC before Arlington are already on the couch, one courtesy of SOC themselves. We'll see though....🤷🏾‍♂️

Yes. The only loss Lovejoy has is a 6a team thats still playing. It wouldnt surprise me if SOC won but i feel like Lovejoy will edge them out. 

I could see Lovejoy beating SOC - Their receivers are elite. Probably the most stacked offensive team in 5aD2. But, the qb is going to have to have time to throw, and SOC showed against Melissa that they can take that time away. Whichever we face , if we make it that far, is going to be a tall order. And this is assuming, I think correctly, that neither Frisco Emerson nor Colleyville Heritage will be waiting for us in Arlington. 

13 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I could see Lovejoy beating SOC - Their receivers are elite. Probably the most stacked offensive team in 5aD2. But, the qb is going to have to have time to throw, and SOC showed against Melissa that they can take that time away. Whichever we face , if we make it that far, is going to be a tall order. And this is assuming, I think correctly, that neither Frisco Emerson nor Colleyville Heritage will be waiting for us in Arlington. 

If Lovejoy doesn't pull it off, I don't know that anyone does.  Lovejoy is good, good.  Beat Melissa 28-7, who SOC beat by a touchdown last week.  They played a tough schedule as well, which will have them prepared.  The Lovejoy/SOC game this week is the one I'm most interested in in the state not involving an SETX team.  

11 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

If Lovejoy doesn't pull it off, I don't know that anyone does.  Lovejoy is good, good.  Beat Melissa 28-7, who SOC beat by a touchdown last week.  They played a tough schedule as well, which will have them prepared.  The Lovejoy/SOC game this week is the one I'm most interested in in the state not involving an SETX team.  

Lovejoy’s schedule is crazy legit - One loss , to an undefeated 6A team playing in the quarterfinals this weekend. They beat College Station, Melissa, Texas High, Argyle. If anyone can beat SoC, it’s Lovejoy. 

25 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Lovejoy’s schedule is crazy legit - One loss , to an undefeated 6A team playing in the quarterfinals this weekend. They beat College Station, Melissa, Texas High, Argyle. If anyone can beat SoC, it’s Lovejoy. 

Great schedule! 💪🏾

now look at SOC non-district schedule. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Great schedule! 💪🏾

now look at SOC schedule. 

Two losses are to the favorites to win 6ad1 and 6aD2. Still counts for good experience - they’ve played both teams that are at least in the top three in the state (counting north shore, assuming qb is healthy). No other 5ad2 team has that experience, even if it’s in losses. And, they’ve beaten Midlothian Heritage, Lancaster (still in 5ad1 playoffs), and Melissa. Not bad at all.