Jasper (20) @ Silsbee (21) - FINAL

jdawg03

1 minute ago, BADSANTA said:

Bellville looks to be pretty dang good but their district is very very weak overall. Thry were doing the same thing as year and got beat by Madisonville pretty good. Bellville has three 1000 yard rushers. Stop the run, you beat them. 

We lost to Madisonville 9-3… missed 2 FGs and played terrible… had no business losing to them. But that was last year… you are correct shut down the run and we are in trouble 

This was a defensive game that really hampered the RedZone offense of the Tigers.  Do Not Forget that Silsbee actually kept Smith from doing any permanent damage on the scoreboard but the real damage was done in that Silsbee did not have the ball in 2nd Half.  A real clock eating ground game.

Jasper's T. Smith reminded me, painfully, of how Jordan Whittington took over the game in the State Semi Final.

Hats off to that performance. Amazing.  But if I'm being honest that Oline was the real ticket to that performance.  The lead blocking that was being applied downhill was dominant and allowed a talented athlete to show out.

Here are the final stats and keep in mind that T. Smith had almost all these rushing yards and the 4th down conversion rate was insane.

Silsbee

Total Yards - 337 / First Downs - 16

Passing - 194 / Rushing - 143

3rd Dn Eff - 1-8 (13%) / 4th Dn 2-4 (50%)

TOs - 2 / Pen - 6 for 37 Yds

Jasper

Total Yards - 295 Yds / First Downs - 15

Passing - 58 Yds / Rushing - 237 Yds

3rd Dn 1-13 (8%) / 4th Dn 5-6 (83%)

TOs - 2 / Pen - 6 for 51 Yds

I’ve seen all 3 of these teams play this year (HF, Silsbee and Jasper) IMOP Jasper has the most talented team in the district but they are also the worst coached and undisciplined of the 3. Jasper would have beat HF without all the unnecessary roughness calls and poor offensive play calling. If HF and Jasper are lucky enough to meet in the 3rd round I’ve got Jasper winning but don’t see HF making it to round 3. 

Silsbee has the best player in the district in Miller and some other good complimentary receivers and RB. Silsbee has the best shot of of making the deeper run of the 3 teams. 

HF is well coached and has good talent but their offense line will be their downfall. Their QB is very accurate and the best in the district when given time to set his feet.  When he played Silsbee and Jasper he was throwing off his back foot all game and had no time to set his feet. He took some hug hits in both these games.  

With all that said, I wish all the teams in this district the best of luck and pray for the best. One thing is for sure they are battle tested. 

I really don't  think Silsbee will have any trouble with Sealy unless they can get pressure on Silsbee's QB,,,,1st time i saw all year that if he's got a good pocket, he's very accurate....get him to move around in the pocket not so good...had a touchdown last night if he would have ran the ball....maybe he's waiting until the playoffs....

On 11/3/2023 at 10:50 PM, Tigers94 said:

When was the last time Silsbee had a QB that was threat to take off for a big play? Yeah, we're importing one in from West Brook next week, but I don't know how much he'll do this year.

Used to be unheard of for Silsbee to have slow, unathletic QBs that just sit back in the pocket. Be nice to have that threat again for opposing defenses to worry about.

Jacob Collins, 2017-2018. Ole lefty. He was a LB with a QB arm. Could make every kind of throw with accuracy and a punishing runner, hard to bring down. One of the best under Smith.