Bold season predictions for 2023-2024

I was told that they are going to rough, maybe they could finish a spot or two higher. I was impressed with warrens underclassmen last year, and I heard Kirbyville hired a good young coach from Center who can coach some ball. That was my reasoning behind the pick. Buna was hit very hard to graduation  and they barely squeaked in as the 4 seed. 

3 hours ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

3A District 23 Projections

1. Crockett 2. Onalaska 3. Shepherd 4. Tarkington 5. Coldspring Oakhurst 6. New Waverly 7. Trinity 8. Anderson-Shiro

I'm guessing that was a total shot in the dark. Shepherd is not good. Coldspring returns most of their starters from last year, including possibly the best player in the district. Anderson will actually be pretty good. Onalaska is definitely on their way up. Crockett lost their best 3 players. Tarkington is returning 7 kids from varsity last year including a starter and has played well all spring and summer long. My prediction. 

1. Tarkington 2. Coldspring 3. Onalaska 4. Crockett 5. Anderson 6. Shepherd 7. Trinity 8. New Waverly

11 minutes ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

Not as well versed on this area..... Crockett is ranked in top 25, Onalaska seems to have played well in the spring & summer, Shepherd & Tarkington were playoff teams last year.

Noted. Just was giving my run down with a little more knowledge of what this district has/returns. 

The whole Crocket at #25 is what I questioned on the preseason rankings post. Just not sure that's very accurate. Not saying they won't be competitive, just doubt they deserve to be that high considering what they lost and from my understanding of what they are bringing back. Shepherd did make the playoffs but only on the heels of a total implosion by Coldspring, including losing their second best and biggest player to grades then fired their coach mid-district. Shepherd will return a pretty decent sized big with some skill, but by far their best player graduated. We both agree that Onalaska is on their way. They get the benefit of not losing kids to football and their coach pushes them hard. He's made a lot of progress there and my hats off to him for it. 

I just feel that Tarkington (call me a homer... haha) have the best chemistry and well rounded team coming into the season. Unfortunately they will be a little rusty coming from football so the first part of the season could be spent shaking off "football shape", but hopefully they will get in a groove early and only get better as the season progresses. 

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

I'm guessing that was a total shot in the dark. Shepherd is not good. Coldspring returns most of their starters from last year, including possibly the best player in the district. Anderson will actually be pretty good. Onalaska is definitely on their way up. Crockett lost their best 3 players. Tarkington is returning 7 kids from varsity last year including a starter and has played well all spring and summer long. My prediction. 

1. Tarkington 2. Coldspring 3. Onalaska 4. Crockett 5. Anderson 6. Shepherd 7. Trinity 8. New Waverly

Tarkington graduated 4 starters from last year's 3rd place team and you're picking them first?  I know nothing about Tarkington, but this seems optimistic unless I'm reading something wrong or you had a typo.

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Tarkington graduated 4 starters from last year's 3rd place team and you're picking them first?  I know nothing about Tarkington, but this seems optimistic unless I'm reading something wrong or you had a typo.

Yes and no. They graduated three starters and unfortunately they lost another starter to a moving to another state. Out of the kids returning, one kid started half the season last year and will be a senior this year. One returning starter from half of the district games and the playoffs. The other three kids starting will be Juniors returning from more sub roles from last year but this group has been playing together for a while and have a real feel for their roles. I definitely see where the skepticism is coming from. But I guarantee you anyone in the district and area know about this group. They've been playing good basketball since they were in 7th grade and had last years starting lineup not been so senior heavy, they would have had been more impactful last year.

Also to justify going from third to first. Look at the top two teams from last year. 

New Waverly lost everyone from their varsity roster except maybe one kid who did not play much if I remember correctly. Their JV, barely beat our JV and our JV, well was missing ALL of these underclassmen that were already on varsity. 

Crockett, I probably have beat that dead horse. They lost maybe the best player of the district and two additional solid players. Maybe have a couple move ups from JV, but hard to step right in and make an impact if you haven't played Varsity basketball. 

Again, just my opinion.

6 hours ago, buccaneers4lyfe said:

My pre-season projections for our local districts, good luck to all teams this year unless you are playing the Runnin Bucs!

5A District 17 Projections

1. Memorial 2. BH 3. Nederland 4. GCM 5. PNG 6. Crosby 7. Sterling 8. Lee 

4A District 19 Projections

1. Silsbee 2. Jasper 3. BC  4. Vidor 5. Lumberton 6. LCM 7. WOS 

4A District 20 Projections 

1. HF 2. Huffman 3. HJ 4. Livingston 5. Splendora 6. Liberty 7. West Fork

3A District 21 Projections

1. Central Heights 2. Diboll 3. Huntington 4. Pineywoods 5. Central 6. Hemphill 7. Woodville 8. Newton

3A District 22 Projections

1. Kountze 2. EC 3. OF 4. Anahuac 5. Kirbyville 6. Warren 7. Buna 8. Hardin 

3A District 23 Projections

1. Crockett 2. Onalaska 3. Shepherd 4. Tarkington 5. Coldspring Oakhurst 6. New Waverly 7. Trinity 8. Anderson-Shiro

2A District 25 Projections

1. Evadale 2. Big Sandy 3. West Hardin 4. Sabine Pass 5. Hull-Daisetta 6. Deweyville

My bold prediction is also that LCM misses the playoffs

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I mean picking Tarkington to win the district would fit the thread title lol

Onalaska hosted Leggett and Dayton. Each team played 2 regulation quarters against each other to simulate 1 game. I don’t know the Leggett and Dayton score off top of my head as I left their papers at work. 

Onalaska scores were as follows for varsity. 

Onalaska 27 Dayton 20
Onalaska 21 Dayton 18
Onalaska 31 Leggett 17
Onalaska 23 Leggett 11

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Don’t remember the exact scores, but at BC/OF/HJ

BC won both games. Beat HJ by about 10, and beat OF by 4.

OF beat HJ by 10ish. 

Thought BC and OF both looked good against HJ. Didn’t see any of the BC/OF one.   HJ missing its top 5 or 5 of its top 6 guys.  #20 from BC I really liked and they had a scrappy group.  I know they were missing a couple as well, one of which apparently may not play this year who has some size.  OF has a couple of key kids still in football too but they are better and deeper than I realized.  The scales kid may have been the best player in the gym today.  Kid can go. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

22-3A could come down to the wite, as usuall with last couple playoffs spots. Anahuac is a bit better than I originally thought they would be. With Buna and Orangefield playing a fairly tight district opener, it should be a fun district to watch.