In surprise move days after Allen mall shooting, Texas House panel OKs bill raising age to buy semi-automatic rifles

bullets13

This is the hidden content, please

It's still a long shot that this gets done, but it's one piece of gun control legislation that I actually think is a good idea.  Give some of these young, dumb kids a couple of years to get out of high school and grow up a little, and get over being bullied or broken up with or whatever else felt like the end of the world when they were 18.  

15 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

It's still a long shot that this gets done, but it's one piece of gun control legislation that I actually think is a good idea.  Give some of these young, dumb kids a couple of years to get out of high school and grow up a little, and get over being bullied or broken up with or whatever else felt like the end of the world when they were 18.  

I don't think it will change anything, not the worst idea, but just don't think it will help.

From the article:

Since 1999, the median age of school shooters on K-12 campuses is 16, per the outlet.

11 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I don't think it will change anything, not the worst idea, but just don't think it will help.

From the article:

Since 1999, the median age of school shooters on K-12 campuses is 16, per the outlet.

Honestly don't think it'll stop a whole lot of attacks, but it's one of those "if it saves just one life" sort of deals that I can actually get behind a little bit.  18-21 year olds are dumb.  I don't mind if they can't go buy a long gun.

16 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Honestly don't think it'll stop a whole lot of attacks, but it's one of those "if it saves just one life" sort of deals that I can actually get behind a little bit.  18-21 year olds are dumb.  I don't mind if they can't go buy a long gun.

I just don't think it will stop a shooter.  If I'm pissed at the world and decide to shoot up a school, I'll get a gun.

The bill says it would restrict sales of "certain types of semi-automatic" rifles.  This is nothing more than the democrat playbook of getting a toe-hold with a seemingly benign restriction and slowing adding more "certain types of rifles" in the future.

And I certainly wouldn't want to deny a responsible 20 year old with a job living in not the best part of town because it's all he/she can afford from being able to buy any weapon of his choice for self-defense.

21 for long rifles that have a detachable magazine.....so semi-auto 12 gauges will still be legal. 

Here is my thought process. I don't think the act of making someone's first choice illegal will stop them from choice 2 or choice 3 if they are going to commit mass murder.  The next shooting where someone uses a couple sawed off 12 gauges in a confined area may change the weapon of choice for multiple shootings. People that commited won't let a law stand in their way. 

I don't have a answer, I wish I did,  I just think these "feel good" laws hurt more than they help. 

25 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

The bill says it would restrict sales of "certain types of semi-automatic" rifles.  This is nothing more than the democrat playbook of getting a toe-hold with a seemingly benign restriction and slowing adding more "certain types of rifles" in the future. 

USA will be Australia 2.0. That exactly what their government did. Now only the Australian criminals have gun. Ain't that a kick in the head.

52 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I tend to agree but what about voting, serving in the military, having an abortion. 

6 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

USA will be Australia 2.0. That exactly what their government did. Now only the Australian criminals have gun. Ain't that a kick in the head.

That's the dangerous trend, thankfully, we have groups like the NRA-ILA that have been fighting for our Second Amendment rights to stay intact....so far.

29 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

21 for long rifles that have a detachable magazine.....so semi-auto 12 gauges will still be legal. 

Here is my thought process. I don't think the act of making someone's first choice illegal will stop them from choice 2 or choice 3 if they are going to commit mass murder.  The next shooting where someone uses a couple sawed off 12 gauges in a confined area may change the weapon of choice for multiple shootings. People that commited won't let a law stand in their way. 

I don't have a answer, I wish I did,  I just think these "feel good" laws hurt more than they help. 

Agree

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I tend to agree but what about voting, serving in the military, having an abortion. 

I wouldn’t have an issue with the age being raised for voting or military service, either.  Or a clause in the law that allows for those serving to do some things that they’d normally have to wait until 21 to do 

On 5/8/2023 at 1:36 PM, bullets13 said:

On 5/8/2023 at 2:45 PM, thetragichippy said:

Here is my thought process. I don't think the act of making someone's first choice illegal will stop them from choice 2 or choice 3 if they are going to commit mass murder. 

The next shooting where someone uses a couple sawed off 12 gauges in a confined area may change the weapon of choice for multiple shootings. People that commited won't let a law stand in their way. 

1. It's a whitewash by politicians to show that they are trying to do something. It won't accomplish a damn thing.

2. A crowded hallway in a school with a short barreled shotgun that can spray a dozen #1 buckshot pellets is more effective over the AR-15 in my opinion, and I agree, the law won't deter these crimes from happening. It may change the weapon of choice or just increase rifle theft.

Until the real problem is addressed which I believe is mental health, then none of this goes away.

4 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

1. It's a whitewash by politicians to show that they are trying to do something. It won't accomplish a damn thing.

2. A crowded hallway in a school with a short barreled shotgun that can spray a dozen #1 buckshot pellets is more effective over the AR-15 in my opinion, and I agree, the law won't deter these crimes from happening. It may change the weapon of choice or just increase rifle theft.

Until the real problem is addressed which I believe is mental health, then none of this goes away.

Starts at home with parents raising there kids to be tough skinned and to deal with adversity in a positive way and get back to going to church. Also the schools have failed as well….bring back corporal punishment….also start them off young with realizing “not everyone gets a trophy”

Instant gratification……if we could take away technology would be a big help, but that isn’t going to happen….

really adults just need to be more Godly they need to model what they want the future to be.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:45 PM, thetragichippy said:

It is all useless against an attacker with time to plan. According to the article, the median age of school shooters is 16. That means that they couldn’t legally buy a gun even from an individual, yet they did. Hmmmm…. it’s like when they were about to commit Capital Murder, the laws seemed like no deterrent.

You answer was clearly the correct assessment.  If no rifle, a shotgun. Then a handgun. Then a Molotov cocktail thrown into a couple of rooms.