Interesting comments from Steve Kerr on AAU basketball

Steve Kerr's comments about AAU Basketball. “Even if today’s players are incredibly gifted, they grow up in a basketball environment that can only be called counterproductive. AAU basketball has replaced high school ball as the dominant form of development in the teen years. I coached my son’s AAU team for three years; it’s a genuinely weird subculture. Like everywhere else, you have good coaches and bad coaches, or strong programs and weak ones, but what troubled me was how much winning is devalued in the AAU structure. Teams play game after game after game, sometimes winning or losing four times in one day. Very rarely do teams ever hold a practice. Some programs fly in top players from out of state for a single weekend to join their team. Certain players play for one team in the morning and another one in the afternoon. If mom and dad aren’t happy with their son’s playing time, they switch club teams and stick him on a different one the following week. The process of growing as a team basketball player — learning how to become part of a whole, how to fit into something bigger than oneself — becomes completely lost within the AAU fabric.”

To borrow from Saban. It’s rat poison. Been around it as a dad and it’s as corrupt as it comes both girls and boys. Seen some crazy stuff and even gets better when the way coach funnels kids to select schools. Not to mention some of those dudes were bagmen for college programs. For the most part those organizations (aau teams) look out for themselves and not the kids.