OrangeField Soccer team?

wos pride

Would it be possible for Orangefield to get a soccer team? I mean there are other 3A teams around the area with soccer teams. Wos, Sislbee, Hardin Jefferson, Hampshire Fannett. Bridge City has been talking about getting a team for quite a while now. So if Bridge City AND Orangefield got a team that would be 6 teams. Enough for a 3A District? If not all those teams play against 4A teams anyways.

How many boys would it take to convice Orangefield to get a soccer team? And would girls asking for a team help in the plead at all??

Would it be possible for Orangefield to get a soccer team? I mean there are other 3A teams around the area with soccer teams. Wos, Sislbee, Hardin Jefferson, Hampshire Fannett. Bridge City has been talking about getting a team for quite a while now. So if Bridge City AND Orangefield got a team that would be 6 teams. Enough for a 3A District? If not all those teams play against 4A teams anyways.

How many boys would it take to convice Orangefield to get a soccer team? And would girls asking for a team help in the plead at all??

Do you think orangefield would get enough to field a team?  I'm not sure, just asking.  I know that a lot of the smaller schools that aren't from soccer areas struggle to keep a team together.

I wish there was a 3A playoff system.  Because there is not, there can't be 3A districts... Hopefully the smaller schools will continue to start teams.  Maybe eventually there will be enough 3A (and maybe 2A) teams to make a smaller soccer classification.  When i played for HJ from 98-01, we had some fairly decent teams that would've done well in a 3A playoff system (instead of getting our butts handed to us by PNG or Nederland in the first round every year).  If you scroll down on the topics, there is something about this in previous threads.  I believe it is mentioned in a thread about UIL rule changes.  You can get some concrete numbers about 4A and 3A soccer programs.  It would be nice to see OF get a soccer team, but how many actual soccer players go there?  The thing about soccer is that it's not nearly as prominent in the smaller areas of texas, and many of these areas don't have leagues.  That means for the kids to play, they have to travel long distances, and many parents don't want to do that.  If the schools in these areas form soccer programs, they generally will have a bunch of guys that have never really played before.  Unlike football or basketball, size and speed is not really much of an equalizer.  If you put 11 short fat guys who have been playing soccer for 15 years on the field against 11 great athletes who have never played before, the fat guys will just pass the ball around and have the other team running in circles.  These smaller schools who will not have skilled players generally get killed when they form, and there usually aren't a lot of people trying to get a team together anyway.  Because of this, many smaller schools don't have much incentive to start a program.

Say Orangefield has enough boys AND girls to form a soccer team. They talk to the Ad and he talks to the board. Then what goes on?

Also how big of a factor would money be?..

Not exactly sure... the money would somewhat of an issue, but compared to football it would be next to nothing.  You could get halfway decent uniforms for pretty cheap, don't have to provide the cleats.  You're looking at uniforms, goals, balls, warmups maybe, corner flags, nets, electricity, coaching wages, ect.  I can't give you a good estimate, but it's not a huge investment.  That being said, there's no way that it makes money for the school.  I played for HJ, which is somewhat similar in size, and we were lucky to get 100-200 fans a night.  It's not like some of the soccer powerhouses around here who do a good job of filling the stands, so the school is not going to get any return on its investment.  If you have an AD who truly cares about the kids who would want to play, you might have a shot of getting a team together, but if you have one who pinches pennies and only sees the bottom line, i would be surprised if you were able to convince him.  Some of the soccer coaches on here can probably give you a better idea of how much a team together would cost the district.

Starting up any program is very expensive.  Some of the major expenses are the coaching stipend, meal money, travel money, and equipment.  According to the number of players anticipated and the cheapness of the district, you looking at anywhere around $10,000 but probably closer to $20,000 and up to start the program.

I would imagine getting an official petition going around at the high school and junior high would be a good first step to present to the athletic director.  At that point he and the other suits would research the feasibility and all that good stuff.

That being said, there's no way that it makes money for the school.  I played for HJ, which is somewhat similar in size, and we were lucky to get 100-200 fans a night.  It's not like some of the soccer powerhouses around here who do a good job of filling the stands, so the school is not going to get any return on its investment. 

I don't have any hard data, but I find it hard to imagine that ANY sport other than football actually makes money for the school.  I don't even know if the schools break even at home games after the officials, ticket takers, field crew are all paid and then the bill for the lights is taken care of.  I really doubt that football makes money either when you think about each player is wearing at $200 worth of equipment most of the time just for practice.

Anyway.  The more the merrier.  And as more 3A's get soccer, the quicker there's a 3A Tournament.  Right now there's around 50 or 60 throughout with probably almost a dozen coming in within the next couple of years.  According to El Presidente Lane, the number needs to be about 120 or so for UIL to make the move.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder