Wildcatters, Jefferson County officials break ice, talk hockey

From PERSONAL observations (meaning I'm speaking for MYSELF only), SMG has not been very hospitable to Wildcatters' staff or fans.

A little birdie gave me factual information that SMG now has the correct equipment to clean and maintain the "glass" in the arena. They had SIX days between the end of the Fair and the Wildcatters' first game. Not surprisingly, it was not done. (Who knows how long they had it before the Fair. It's not like the glass was up during the off season).

People pay their hard earned $$$ to sit on the glass, and yet it is so dirty and scratched up, you don't get a clear view. Forget about taking a decent picture through it!

The last day of the Fair was Sunday, Oct. 21. SMG knew the Wildcatters' schedule, and that they would be back in town to practice on Tuesday. So, what did they do? They gave all the maintenance employees Monday off! So? So...all the dirt that was covering the arena floor was left there until Tuesday.

That meant that on Monday, the Coach/Front Office staff had to scramble to make arrangement for the entire team to go to Houston to practice. I don't know how many folks realize what all that entails. First, you have 20-22 players, the coach, trainer, equipment manager, and possibly even the water boys. Next, you have to have enough room for them all, as well as all the equipment. You need a driver(s).

I personally haven't ever tried to rent ice time for a whole hockey team, nor have I tried to get transportation for that many people with that much cargo in that short amount of time. I would imagine it ain't cheap!

Oh, did I mention that the practice along with the added travel time to and from, had to be scheduled in between other appearances that had already been planned and booked?

Ok, now on to my personal experiences with SMG this past weekend. Remembering what has happened with my pre-paid season ticket holder reserved seating after previous rodeos and other events, I decided to make a call to SMG last Friday (more than 24 hours before the scheduled home opener). I wanted to be assured that my seats would be in place, and that they would not be covered in dust, dirt, cow manure, or whatever else may have been left on them during the off season. I was told "The arena crew is out there now working on the seats". I explained that I did NOT want to arrive at the game to find that my seats were nasty, then miss part of the game while waiting to have someone clean them, as I would not sit in a nasty seat. I'm sure the woman thought I was being petty, but I assured her that with as much money as I had spent on those seats, I wasn't concerned about sounding petty, so much as I wanted to have a clean seat to park my rear end in when I got to the game. She took my name and number and promised to call me just as soon as she spoke to the supervisor. Hey Lady, I'm still waiting to hear from you!!! My phone is on!!

When we arrived at the arena Saturday, my daughter went to the seats while I stopped to take care of some business. Yep, you guessed it, the seats were FILTHY. My husband was not shy about asking for a supervisor, then having them come and clean our seats so we could sit in them.

Fast forward to the end of Saturday's game. The game had not been over more than 15 minutes, and they were already turning all the lights off. The same thing happened on Sunday, as well. A certain organization that regularly has a table set up at all the games was there, of course, and had more to carry out than usual. Instead of offering assistance, possibly in the way of a rolling cart or dolly, all the employees circled around like a bunch of vulchers, and continued to close in. I just don't think that an extra five minutes worth of lights would have made that much more debt for the arena, nor would helping have hurt them, either.

As I said, these are just my personal observations and experiences, but I am not feeling the love from SMG towards the Wildcatters, or the patrons who support them, and ultimately give them $$$.

When it comes time for the real talks, I hope Bo knows 'Diddley'.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317