What do you think

Are high school athletes supposed to be encouraged to be involved in other school activities? I will tell you the situation and you let me know what you think.

My son plays JV ball and starts on both sides. He is also involved with student council. Student council had a convention and he missed first period athletics. He was back in time for afternoon practice. He practiced with the team and was told later that because he missed athletics this morning he was being benched for the first quarter of tomorrows game.

I thought we were supposed to encourage our kids to participate in other school functions. Am I wrong, and what would you do as a parent?

I think the coaches probably feel that since he missed what some of the other players did NOT miss, he needs a rest.  I had a nephew that played at Sealy last year.  We went to my Grandmother's funeral on their OFF  week.  He missed two days of practice on their OFF week. Made practice the entire week of the next game and was benched for the entire game.  I wondered the same thing myself...what's up with that?  As far as school activities go....they can participate in other things, but pick which one is most important to him.

Are high school athletes supposed to be encouraged to be involved in other school activities? I will tell you the situation and you let me know what you think.

My son plays JV ball and starts on both sides. He is also involved with student council. Student council had a convention and he missed first period athletics. He was back in time for afternoon practice. He practiced with the team and was told later that because he missed athletics this morning he was being benched for the first quarter of tomorrows game.

I thought we were supposed to encourage our kids to participate in other school functions. Am I wrong, and what would you do as a parent?

I think i've found the problem folks

I say thats bull malarky. Your son should not be forced to make a choice. He seems like he is a positive example for the players on the team. I think it is good that a player from the football team is represented in STUCO. I was Student body VP in high school and i played football, soccer , and track and was very involved in stuco. My senior we had the state convention( Wed. thru Sun.) in arlington, but i also qualified for the regional track meet in huntsville. The only problem is they were scheduled for the same weekend. I told my coach that i wanted to attend the convention since i havent been able to yet and he said OK.  On saturday morning he drove from huntsville to Arlington and picked me up and brought me back to Huntsville in time to run the prelims. I ended up finishing 5th making it a successful trip. But you only go through high school once so do all you can. Do not limit oneself because of what a coach says. The coach should rethink his ounishment and praise the kid.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder