New set of predictions after district starts

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Boy what little us “experts†really know when it comes time to make predictions in high school football before the season starts.

It is like the AP voting on college football in July.

In our annual football section, I calmly predicted Dayton to win District 22-4A with Central in second and Little Cypress-Mauriceville in third.

Nederland was fourth, Port Neches-Groves was fifth, Lumberton was sixth, Ozen was seventh and Vidor was eighth.

A week into the District 22-4A race and I like many others am scratching my head.

I talked to Tom Halliburton of the Port Arthur News a day after making those predictions and told him the only thing I was scared of was putting Lumberton into the playoffs.

I wanted to do it, and in fact so did he, but how can you slap a team into the playoffs that has never seen the postseason in school history?

So go figure Lumberton beats Dayton, 8-7, in the first game of district in the last seconds of the game.

Dayton has been without quarterback Cody Green and lost a game in my eyes they really could not afford to lose.

The Broncos still have to play Central and Nederland. Lose both of those games and Dayton would have three district losses.

Nederland is 4-0 and is set for a showdown this Friday against Central, who defeated LC-M this past week.

The winner between the Bulldogs and Jaguars really has to be considered the front-runner in the district with the Raiders a very close second.

LC-M has work to do and will look to rebound on the road against PN-G, a team they shutout 42-0 a year ago.

The Bears need a statement win this year and beating the Indians two straight years could get LC-M back on the right path.

After seeing a week’s worth of District 22-4A games, here are my new predictions:

1. Nederland ... They just look good these days with sophomore quarterback Kirby Bellow.

2. Central ... I said it before and I’ll say it again — speed really does kill in football and this team is fast.

3. Lumberton ... There I put the Raiders in the playoffs for the first time in history, now I hope they make me look smart.

4. Dayton ... The loss to Lumberton hurt and they still have Nederland, Central and PN-G to go.

5. PN-G ... It was a nice win against Ozen, now they still have to beat a couple of the top teams.

6. LC-M ... The Central loss hurt so the Bears must find a way to beat PN-G and have a few upsets along the way.

7. Vidor ... This team is better than what people think and Vidor is such a hard place to play, unless you are the Pirates.

8. Ozen ... New coach will only have the Panthers get better as the season moves along.

In District 21-3A there is not as much shake up as there is in District 22-4A.

Orange Leader Sports Editor Van Wade made the predictions in 21-3A earlier this year.

He had the top three teams as West Orange-Stark, Silsbee and Jasper.

Kirbyville was fourth, Orangefield was fifth, Bridge City was sixth, Hardin-Jefferson was seventh and Hamshire-Fannett was in the rear.

Here is my take now on District 21-3A:

1. WO-S ... Still the team to beat until someone proves everyone wrong. Kirbyville gets a shot Friday.

2. Kirbyville ... The Wildcats will not beat the Mustangs but should be able to beat everyone else in district.

3. Silsbee ... The Tigers thumped Orangefield last week and I only see them losing to Kirbyville and WO-S.

4. Jasper ... The Bulldogs are close to being back under Thomas Brooks but beating the top teams will be too tough a task.

5. Hamshire-Fannett ... The Longhorns are no push over this year and gave the Mustangs all they could handle in the first half last week.

6. Hardin-Jefferson ... To keep away from the bottom, the H-J beat Bridge City last week in a thriller.

7. Bridge City ... I hate to put the Cardinals here but Bridge City is so young and Cris Stump and Co. are a year away from making noise.

8. Orangefield ... The injury to Ryan Granger did not help a bit but the Bobcats will fight tooth-and-nail with everyone listed above.

WO-S ... Still the team to beat until someone proves everyone wrong. Kirbyville gets a shot Friday.

2. Kirbyville ... The Wildcats will not beat the Mustangs but should be able to beat everyone else in district.

HA HA HA THATS FUNNY SO WHO EVER WROTE THIS IS WRONG KVILLE HAS EVERY CHANCE OF BEATING THE WOS PONYS ,BUT WE WILL ALL SEE ONCE AND FOR ALL THAT THE PONYS CAN BE BEAT AND THE WILDCATS WILL TAKE FIRST IN DISTRICT :o :o :o

I'm still not convinced Lumberton will make the playoffs... and I'm not convinced that Dayton won't.  Nederland and Central should.... not sure on the last spot.  3A looks good... Kirbyville is the only team that will challenge the Mustangs but I'm not sure they have enough.

Guest tigersvoice

WO-S ... Still the team to beat until someone proves everyone wrong. Kirbyville gets a shot Friday.

HA HA HA THATS FUNNY SO WHO EVER WROTE THIS IS WRONG KVILLE HAS EVERY CHANCE OF BEATING THE WOS PONYS ,BUT WE WILL ALL SEE ONCE AND FOR ALL THAT THE PONYS CAN BE BEAT AND THE WILDCATS WILL TAKE FIRST IN DISTRICT :o :o :o

Hey Balla!  Have you passed the baton?

Gabriel Pruett  All had Hardin Hornets at the bottom of district. What a difference a Coaching staff makes.  ( Who would have none)

The Orange Leader

Boy what little us “experts†really know when it comes time to make predictions in high school football before the season starts.

It is like the AP voting on college football in July.

In our annual football section, I calmly predicted Dayton to win District 22-4A with Central in second and Little Cypress-Mauriceville in third.

Nederland was fourth, Port Neches-Groves was fifth, Lumberton was sixth, Ozen was seventh and Vidor was eighth.

A week into the District 22-4A race and I like many others am scratching my head.

I talked to Tom Halliburton of the Port Arthur News a day after making those predictions and told him the only thing I was scared of was putting Lumberton into the playoffs.

I wanted to do it, and in fact so did he, but how can you slap a team into the playoffs that has never seen the postseason in school history?

So go figure Lumberton beats Dayton, 8-7, in the first game of district in the last seconds of the game.

Dayton has been without quarterback Cody Green and lost a game in my eyes they really could not afford to lose.

The Broncos still have to play Central and Nederland. Lose both of those games and Dayton would have three district losses.

Nederland is 4-0 and is set for a showdown this Friday against Central, who defeated LC-M this past week.

The winner between the Bulldogs and Jaguars really has to be considered the front-runner in the district with the Raiders a very close second.

LC-M has work to do and will look to rebound on the road against PN-G, a team they shutout 42-0 a year ago.

The Bears need a statement win this year and beating the Indians two straight years could get LC-M back on the right path.

After seeing a week’s worth of District 22-4A games, here are my new predictions:

1. Nederland ... They just look good these days with sophomore quarterback Kirby Bellow.

2. Central ... I said it before and I’ll say it again — speed really does kill in football and this team is fast.

3. Lumberton ... There I put the Raiders in the playoffs for the first time in history, now I hope they make me look smart.

4. Dayton ... The loss to Lumberton hurt and they still have Nederland, Central and PN-G to go.

5. PN-G ... It was a nice win against Ozen, now they still have to beat a couple of the top teams.

6. LC-M ... The Central loss hurt so the Bears must find a way to beat PN-G and have a few upsets along the way.

7. Vidor ... This team is better than what people think and Vidor is such a hard place to play, unless you are the Pirates.

8. Ozen ... New coach will only have the Panthers get better as the season moves along.

In District 21-3A there is not as much shake up as there is in District 22-4A.

Orange Leader Sports Editor Van Wade made the predictions in 21-3A earlier this year.

Kirbyville was fourth, Orangefield was fifth, Bridge City was sixth, Hardin-Jefferson was seventh and Hamshire-Fannett was in the rear.

1. WO-S ... Still the team to beat until someone proves everyone wrong. Kirbyville gets a shot Friday.

3. Silsbee ... The Tigers thumped Orangefield last week and I only see them losing to Kirbyville and WO-S.

4. Jasper ... The Bulldogs are close to being back under Thomas Brooks but beating the top teams will be too tough a task.

5. Hamshire-Fannett ... The Longhorns are no push over this year and gave the Mustangs all they could handle in the first half last week.

6. Hardin-Jefferson ... To keep away from the bottom, the H-J beat Bridge City last week in a thriller.

7. Bridge City ... I hate to put the Cardinals here but Bridge City is so young and Cris Stump and Co. are a year away from making noise.

8. Orangefield ... The injury to Ryan Granger did not help a bit but the Bobcats will fight tooth-and-nail with everyone listed above.

who said wos can't be beat? ???

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

can you read..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83