When as a Parent do you talk to a coach?

Xlion

First of all let me say this is uncharted water for me. My belief is that it's not my place is not to tell a coach how to play his players or try to get my son playing time. With that being said when should a parent step in and ask a coach what the heck is going on here.

Ask the coach where your son or daughter needs to improve to get some PT, and then work with your child in that aspect of his/her game.  There are starters, reserves, and bench warmers in sports...  Work and ethic gets you off the bench when natural talent, that the coaches recognize, is not there.  I have seen some talented kids overlooked!!!

DO NOT ask the coach "WHY DOESN'T MY CHILD GET PLAYING TIME," THAT'S RUDE....Ask tcoach where does your child need to imporve..  He might get time just because of the way you ask!

First of all let me say this is uncharted water for me. My belief is that it's not my place is not to tell a coach how to play his players or try to get my son playing time. With that being said when should a parent step in and ask a coach what the heck is going on here.

How hard did your son train over the summer?

true... I was just stating that because apperently the parent that started the thread feels that their child has talent, therefore the coach might be overlooking it!!!  It has happened, it is part of the woes of being a coach...  To coaches credit they always try and put thier best players on the field.  But it was  not my place to tell that parent that thier child's talent is inadequate when I haven't seen the child play!  i do feel the coach is playing the kids that he feels deserves to play!

I give a hats off to the coach for allowing the child to participate. Even if it's on the sideline with team mates, he still feel like he's a part of the team. Some kids know they aren't that good and is satisfied with just standing in that uni. The parents make a bigger deal than them.

Guest hootiehoo

I agree with the reply to ask "how can my child get better?"  Too many times parents come at coaches demanding playing time for their child, when the kid just isn't as good as the guy in front of him.

It's a tricky situation for coaches.  Bottom line, their job is to win games.  However, to win, they have to put the best kids out on the field all of the time.  That means someone's probably going to get their feelings hurt.

To the original poster, if you decide to talk to the coach, call the school Monday morning and set up a conference.  Don't approach them after a ballgame, call them on their cell phone on the weekend, or just call up to the school.  They tend to appreciate parents who take the proper channels to discuss the situation.

Absolutely, you have a right to know why your child isn't playing.  Just be prepared to hear that the other kid is better and be willing to help your child improve.

Just an opinion from a coach's wife....

I agree with the reply to ask "how can my child get better?"  Too many times parents come at coaches demanding playing time for their child, when the kid just isn't as good as the guy in front of him.

It's a tricky situation for coaches.  Bottom line, their job is to win games.   However, to win, they have to put the best kids out on the field all of the time.  That means someone's probably going to get their feelings hurt.

To the original poster, if you decide to talk to the coach, call the school Monday morning and set up a conference.  Don't approach them after a ballgame, call them on their cell phone on the weekend, or just call up to the school.  They tend to appreciate parents who take the proper channels to discuss the situation.

Absolutely, you have a right to know why your child isn't playing.  Just be prepared to hear that the other kid is better and be willing to help your child improve.

Just an opinion from a coach's wife....

Well spoken

true... I was just stating that because apperently the parent that started the thread feels that their child has talent, therefore the coach might be overlooking it!!!  It has happened, it is part of the woes of being a coach...  To coaches credit they always try and put thier best players on the field.  But it was  not my place to tell that parent that thier child's talent is inadequate when I haven't seen the child play!  i do feel the coach is playing the kids that he feels deserves to play!

I remember hearing a story about Alex Durley the year they opened WB....apparently he was under alot of pressure to play certain kids from FP and from Hebert, and it wasn't working. The story goes, Durley came into the locker room one night after a loss and addressed the team...."I might not be your coach after next week, but I'm gonna put the team on the field that I think has the best chance of winning." And he did, and they won a State title later that year. There is a fine line in which coaches have to balance on. I'll get off of my soapbox, now!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317