No Pass, No Play, Good Or Bad?

Guest Wildcat 08

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even tho my son is only in peewee his mom and me both, along with the coach emphasize grades, he made all A honor roll all last year and is working toward that this year :)

I wish I could say the same for my son. I ride him and he still rides the fence with his grades. Now that he is 13, I bring his butt to the gym after football practice to lift for about an hour. If he doesn't bring homework to the house he'll add 20-30 minutes of running to the weight lifting. I've tried everything else including no phone calls and so far this year I'm not aware of any problems.

He isn't a gifted athlete or a extremely bright kid but he'll pass all his classes. If not, he'll have a extremely boring life. School, practice, weight lifting, running, dinner, do homework and hit the sack. No girlfriend, phone calls, computer time, video games or any other entertainment.

I know some people if they knew who I was would call CPS on me!

Guest Orangeboy

I wish I could say the same for my son. I ride him and he still rides the fence with his grades. Now that he is 13, I bring his butt to the gym after football practice to lift for about an hour. If he doesn't bring homework to the house he'll add 20-30 minutes of running to the weight lifting. I've tried everything else including no phone calls and so far this year I'm not aware of any problems.

He isn't a gifted athlete or a extremely bright kid but he'll pass all his classes. If not, he'll have a extremely boring life. School, practice, weight lifting, running, dinner, do homework and hit the sack. No girlfriend, phone calls, computer time, video games or any other entertainment.

Way to go "Old School"!!! Sound like a good ol boy to me.

Maybe you can add some personal study time when he has no homework!!! He can always study!  i found  that to be my biggest issue when I went to college... My study habits were horrible!

I am against. I completely DISAGREE with the rule. It is an irresponsible and expedient regulation to accomodate modern parenting, or the lack thereof, and education standards. A more centralized and individualistic method should be sought. We should not reward our YOUNG ADULTS, because they are certainly not "kids," for furthuring themselves academically with incentives such as sports. It should be instilled earlier on, and by varsity level it should be a personal choice . School should not be a chore.

It is this kind of attitude that makes a student become a 4 or 5 year veteran of JUNIOR HIGH!  School "is" a chore, it is the kids "job" to do whatever it takes to pass their classes, and hopefully excel.  You go to school to learn, athletics is an "extra"curricular activity that enhances the school life.

I am against. I completely DISAGREE with the rule. It is an irresponsible and expedient regulation to accomodate modern parenting, or the lack thereof, and education standards. A more centralized and individualistic method should be sought. We should not reward our YOUNG ADULTS, because they are certainly not "kids," for furthuring themselves academically with incentives such as sports. It should be instilled earlier on, and by varsity level it should be a personal choice . School should not be a chore.

If you let the students decide "our young adults"  we would all most likely playing 1A football.  Its a REQUIRMENT, there is no choice.

I agree with no pass, no play. Parents should be the ones to insist on these things, but this is the real world. Some parents see juniors abilities as their way (the parents) to fame and fortune and would let junior do anything, as long as he performed on the field. This rule does apply to all UIL activities as it should. Anyone that knows about our education system these days, knows already the system is expected to take the place of parenting from the time a child is born until they are released into the real world. And in my opinion the way the kids are handled and made excuses for is exactly 180 degrees from the real world.

I do think it's up to the kids to keep up with their own grades instead of having mommy and daddy go to the school whinning because the teacher didn't keep them and 140 other students informed on all their grades. This is always a problem according to my wife that is a teacher. KNOW what your kid(s) are doing in school. It's up to the parent to keep abreast of things all the time, not after the six week period is up and "Johnny" failed. I can hear it now " Johnny was going to go play for a big college and now it's your fault he failed". ::)

My wife has taught in the public school system for 31 years and in that time the requirements forced by the state have gone from readin', writin' & arithmetic to taking a room of kids that have had every excuse in the book for failure made for them and having to get them to pass the latest round of state mandated test, and if the kids don't pass, it is reflected on the teacher and the school district. There should be accountability, but as with all things government administered what seems good at first mutates into something that barely resembles what was once a good idea.

It is this kind of attitude that makes a student become a 4 or 5 year veteran of JUNIOR HIGH!  School "is" a chore, it is the kids "job" to do whatever it takes to pass their classes, and hopefully excel.  You go to school to learn, athletics is an "extra"curricular activity that enhances the school life.

I was addressing the rule in high school, and I believe I indirectly supported such rules at younger levels like junior high. This attitude???, I have always had this opinion. I have also played in systems with and without the rule (Mississippi and Texas). Even though I certainly have not had any problems with eligibility, I still think that was my choice to make, and because I decided I stuck with it and it has greatly improved my future. If the only reason for school is sports for some of these YOUNG ADULTS, what happens when sports is taken away?

If you let the students decide "our young adults"  we would all most likely playing 1A football.  Its a REQUIRMENT, there is no choice.

I am almost certain you misunderstood what was said, but how do think other states make it work. I garuantee you they do not just play 1A ball. The point I was arguing was that it should be a choice, not a requirement, that way it would be genuine; but way to point out the obvious champ.

I do think it's up to the kids to keep up with their own grades instead of having mommy and daddy go to the school whinning because the teacher didn't keep them and 140 other students informed on all their grades. This is always a problem according to my wife that is a teacher. KNOW what your kid(s) are doing in school. It's up to the parent to keep abreast of things all the time, not after the six week period is up and "Johnny" failed. I can hear it now " Johnny was going to go play for a big college and now it's your fault he failed". ::)

I like the way you think. If you have any involvement in your local school you would most likely notice a trend- footbal players do what they have to to get by, and after the season ends grades drop considerably. This may be a reflective of teachers taking it easy during the season or the athletes interest level in studies dropping. Regardless, this IS a problem.

I like the way you think. If you have any involvement in your local school you would most likely notice a trend- footbal players do what they have to to get by, and after the season ends grades drop considerably. This may be a reflective of teachers taking it easy during the season or the athletes interest level in studies dropping. Regardless, this IS a problem.

Me too, but that has nothing to do with validating your point of view. I dont care if it is sports or sewing... Acabemic classes come first, extra curriculars are called extra curriculars for a reason. If you cannot pass your academic requirements you dont have time for EC's. They are a priviledge not a right.

If nothing else it teaches the kids accountability. It is OUR "JOB" as parents to make sure that our kids understand that they are personally accountable for their decisions and they have no one else to blame but themselves for the way they turn out. Its first and formeost MY "job" to make sure they pass but as a parent what happens to MY "young adult" is MY decision. Its about actions and consequences. Until they turn 18 that is MY decision and I want the school to help me enforce that. But if they wont I will.

Probably 90% of kids who play high school sports will not play it at the next level or advance to play for money.  They absolutely need the education to fall back on. Look at all the broke pro players who had nothing to fall back on after they retired or were injured.

Probably 90% of kids who play high school sports will not play it at the next level or advance to play for money.  They absolutely need the education to fall back on. Look at all the broke pro players who had nothing to fall back on after they retired or were injured.

And why do they have nothing to fall back on? They obviously made it through high school and college. I'll tell you why, they never took personal interest in studies; they did the minimum to get by, possibly by cheating the system in some way.  I'm sure they had to find ways through these same rules.

I was addressing the rule in high school, and I believe I indirectly supported such rules at younger levels like junior high. This attitude???, I have always had this opinion. I have also played in systems with and without the rule (Mississippi and Texas). Even though I certainly have not had any problems with eligibility, I still think that was my choice to make, and because I decided I stuck with it and it has greatly improved my future. If the only reason for school is sports for some of these YOUNG ADULTS, what happens when sports is taken away?

Glad to hear you never had a problem with eligibility, however some students do. I have three awesome children but they where all different students. I have two whom never had a problems with eligibility but our oldest always did just enough to get by...hate to say it but he was motivated by sports being taken away...along with his cell phone and car! Playing sports, cheering, and showing animals is a privilege. That's right I said showing animals! LOL My daughter shows lambs through AG! These students put a lot of money and time into feeding and raising these their animals. However, if they are failing when it is time to show they do not get to! How would you like to have 5 grand in a steer and not be able to show and sale because of grades?!? It happens! Believe me it is an incentive for these young adults! We are parents that have always put education first but there are many different types of people and they are motivated in different ways. Sports is an extra in school. My daughter plays volleyball and cheers but schoolwork comes first!

This is your opinion and I respect it however this mother disagrees that is "an irresponsible and expedient regulation to accommodate modern parenting, or the lack thereof, and education standards."

p.s. I can tell you that I am motivated by incentives. It is part of life. Please this is just one parents opinion...I do completely respect yours.

Me too, but that has nothing to do with validating your point of view. I dont care if it is sports or sewing... Acabemic classes come first, extra curriculars are called extra curriculars for a reason. If you cannot pass your academic requirements you dont have time for EC's. They are a priviledge not a right.

If nothing else it teaches the kids accountability. It is OUR "JOB" as parents to make sure that our kids understand that they are personally accountable for their decisions and they have no one else to blame but themselves for the way they turn out. Its first and formeost MY "job" to make sure they pass but as a parent what happens to MY "young adult" is MY decision. Its about actions and consequences. Until they turn 18 that is MY decision and I want the school to help me enforce that. But if they wont I will.

If your making decisions for them why should they be "personally accountable?"

And why do they have nothing to fall back on? They obviously made it through high school and college. I'll tell you why, they never took personal interest in studies; they did the minimum to get by, possibly by cheating the system in some way.  I'm sure they had to find ways through these same rules.

Which is why they should be required to make thier grades.

Guest maverick24

This is not a personal attack but I think this is part of the way of thinking that has put society where it is today! It is a Parents job or responsibilty to help teach right from wrong. HS students are still kids and that is one way to teach children if you do something wrong you get things taken away from you thats life! In HS you dont pass you don't play that is taken away it is a rule. When older they take bigger things away from you if you break the rules  as far as your freedom. I agree  with the rule and would support it at my house even if it was not the rule.

I agree that parents should already have the importance of school and academics instilled in their children before high school, but the No Pass No Play Rule is one of the best decisions the Texas Education Committee has ever made.  If a student athlete does make it to the next level, academic requirements are awaiting them there as well.

They are still children and need some parental guidance.  Using your philosophy I guess we should lower the drinking age to 14 and let them all have a "personal choice" about alcohol.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami