No Pass, No Play, Good Or Bad?

Guest Wildcat 08

Guest Wildcat 08

I didn't realize until last night that Florida and some other states don't have the No Pass, No Play rule.

What do you think? Is Texas diluting their teams by having the rule and if so, do you think this is good or bad thing?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the no pass no play rule makes the students buckle down on the books (or cheat on tests) so they can play.  If a student is busting his a$$ and still manages to fail i think he should still be able to play though..My reason, because some schools are ridiculously easier than others

Guest tigersvoice

I didn't realize until last night that Florida and some other states don't have the No Pass, No Play rule.

What do you think? Is Texas diluting their teams by having the rule and if so, do you think this is good or bad thing?

I believe that it is the correct action to take.  Football is extracurricular and if you don't make your grades then YOU cannot participate in extracurricular activities.  Everyone knows this going in - it's not like someone threw this in after the third game.  Attend class, pass your courses and nothing adverse happens.

Having the no pass no play rule makes the students buckle down on the books (or cheat on tests) so they can play.  If a student is busting his a$$ and still manages to fail i think he should still be able to play though..My reason, because some schools are ridiculously easier than others

yeah because PNG is one of the hardest academic schools in the area

Guest Orangeboy

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but when this rule first came out, if you failed you were out six weeks. Now I think the player only misses 3 weeks. If this is true, I think they need to go back back to 6 weeks.

I'd be all for it. It puts even more emphasis on dem grades.

Its the only way to go. Football is extra-curricular. Kids who love football but not school try harder in school to play football. If it weren't for sports, some of these kids get not motivation at all to even stay in school. Their mindset is okay, I'll drop out when I'm 18 and get a 40k job a year anyway busting my butt. But with sports, going into the next level, they get motivation to stay in school and even go to college. Again, its a lot of these kids' only chance.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but when this rule first came out, if you failed you were out six weeks. Now I think the player only misses 3 weeks. If this is true, I think they need to go back back to 6 weeks.

That's true.  When it started in the fall of '84, it was 6 weeks.  You turned your stuff in and you hope(as in football) your team made the playoffs.  Now they check every 3 weeks and if a kid is failing, he can still practice but misses 3 weeks while trying to pull his or her grades up

If a kid receives a failing grade on his/her report card then they are inelligible to participate in any extracurilicular activity, including any UIL event, example pros and poetry, football etc... Progress reports are handed out after 3 weeks into the next 6 week grading period. If the failing grade has elevated to a passing mark then they are reinstated. I like this better than the 6 week no pass no play rule. If the kid is passing after the progress reports are handed out then why is it fair to keep punishing them?

It is a great thing... All through my years of high school, my dad wouldn't let me play if i didnt even have a B, so i still succeeded in athletics and in the classrooms as well... If the schools go without making the athletes pass, then all theyre there for is for sports, when like somebody said earlier, how many people are actually doing this for a living? not many...

I am against. I completely DISAGREE with the rule. It is an irresponsible and expedient regulation to accomodate modern parenting, or the lack thereof, and education standards. A more centralized and individualistic method should be sought. We should not reward our YOUNG ADULTS, because they are certainly not "kids," for furthuring themselves academically with incentives such as sports. It should be instilled earlier on, and by varsity level it should be a personal choice . School should not be a chore.

But without good grades they can't go to college!!! Which means no matter how good they are, they will not get to go out and further develop their skil.  That means no pros and no free college!!  And last I checked the NFL wasn't taken them straight out of high school!  Don't forget people this is SCHOOL not recreational fun! If a kid wants to play the game without the school then there are other leagues for them to do it in, i.e. Little Leagues all the way to Semi Pros!  That is the place for kids who can't put up in the class room!  Not on a SCHOOL footbal team or any other SCHOOL associated activity!  remember these are SCHOOLS?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33