Worst on-field injury you've ever seen ...

gdickert

I've only seen an ambulance on the field twice and I've been covering sports for newspapers for over 20 years ...

Both times the kids were ok, thank goodness. ... More a precaution, I suppose.

The kid in the picture dislocated his elbow, was in a soft cast for a while and has recovered fully now ...

ouch that looks painful, i dislocated my knee in the 06 season, and i know it hurt purty bad, that just looks painful, i think the worst ive ever seen is when centrals DB got nailed on the knee at last years game, helmet to knee contact right in front of me and the helmet won lol i think his knee was dislocated too, but man it was nasty....and the noise it made......owwww

Well I have seen many injuries. I had a kid take a helmet to his hand and cut it between the knuckles. Well it took stitches and then he got staph with it. He was out for about 6 weeks. He was a starting linebacker. There a kid last year that took a helmet to a shin and he broke his leg. Not a pretty site.

Not a big fan of Pee Wee football, that is one reason. Let the kids mature and learn through Flag until they get to Jr High. I would like to know what most coaches think about it. The ones I have talked to agree.

I cant say that i am the biggest fan of pee wee football either, but that would not be one of the reasons.  Getting hurt is part of any activity that you get involved in.  That same injury could happen to that child in his back yard playing tackle football with his neighbors.

and my seventh grade year in jasper, it was the district championship(we won, whoo!!!) lol my friend slid off the field going to tackle somebody and the plastic drain cover was broken, it got his arm pretty good, i know staples were involved, it wasnt good either

I've seen an injury that is very similiar to this one.  1993, game was played in Robinson.  The opposing team's QB was knocked out of bounds and he slid across a drain.  There was a piece of metal sticking up.  It put a 4 inch cut across his elbow all the way to the bone.  The QB, with stitches and heavy wrapping, played in the bi-district playoff game the following week.   

The worst injury I have ever personally seen was in a soccer match between Langham Creek and Klein.  Two player hit going full speed for the ball.  You could actually hear the Langham Creek player's knee explode.  The young man ended up having surgery two different times because of that collision.

I was at the 91 A&M-TCU game when Coryatt hit Mcpherson.

Saw Rodney Thomas againist Mizzou break the leg of FS that was filling the alley.  Rodney never touched the kids leg. Shoulder to shoulder contact. It was a tib-fib break.  Our photographer got it on film.  That part of the leg should never be at 90 degrees.

The hit WOS laid on the LCM QB last year, they had to cart him off in EMS and take him to St Es by helo

I have been a coach of football teams flag etc.... and i think PeeWee foootball is great they have to strap it up sooner or later and learn how to hit and be hit and the earlier they have that experience they will know if this is something they are going to stick with, and the truly committed are in the program

I was at this game also...I have it on video...not as good/close as the pics...actually #10 for Hamshire-Fannett is my son who plays quaterback and cornerback on defense.  I knew it was bad when I saw it happen...i felt so bad for the other player...I think he has recovered.  I enjoyed looking at the other pictures you had of this game...GREAT PICS..i will be ordering some.

The injury that you see in my picture was a freak accident. Honestly, youth sports gives kids an outlet for their energy, teaches them teamwork and goal-setting and gives them a sense of ownership for something that is bigger than themselves.

If you think youth sports is a hazard to a child's health, then take away their skateboard and bicycle, swimming pool and trampoline too.

I'd rather have my kid fully padded on a football field than riding down the street on a skateboard with shorts and a tshirt.

My two boys have done all sorts of things. My oldest is a varsity football player in Kountze. He comes home bruised and achy and ready to go to bed. But he wouldn't miss a moment of it.

He's a Kountze Lion ... just ask him.

I wouldn't take that away from him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder