19 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Nah. The UIL won't do that. The reason why is brought to you by the number 16 and the symbol %.

Why wouldn’t they? If they keep 4 playoff teams they will have the state championship games at end of January... it puts a huge delay in basketball, track, and soccer. They already have a shortage of referees like talked about earlier as well coaches that coach 2 sports... if you roll with 4 teams and keep basketball the same start date, you won’t see kids that play football first join the team well into district play... 2 playoff teams is a must if follow the tapps. 

12 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Why wouldn’t they? If they keep 4 playoff teams they will have the state championship games at end of January... it puts a huge delay in basketball, track, and soccer. They already have a shortage of referees like talked about earlier as well coaches that coach 2 sports... if you roll with 4 teams and keep basketball the same start date, you won’t see kids that play football first join the team well into district play... 2 playoff teams is a must if follow the tapps. 

Because 16% is the amount they get off of the gate at any playoff game. Cutting in down to 2 would decrease a week of revenue to the UIL.

Remember that even though TAPPS pushed back the start of the season that they didn't delay championship. 

My thought is that all sports, fall, winter and spring could be delayed a month.  It would mean baseball championships in mid July, but I doubt many would really gripe about that.

But if the UIL follows the lead of TAPPS, it would mean a truncated season....probably by reducing regular season games OR waiver of the five day rule.

6 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Remember that even though TAPPS pushed back the start of the season that they didn't delay playoffs. 

My thought is that all sports, fall, winter and spring could be delayed a month.  It would mean baseball championships in mid July, but I doubt many would really gripe about that.

Bu if the UIL follows the lead of TAPPS, it would mean a truncated season....probably by reducing regular season games OR waiver of the five day rule.

UIL just a year or two ago was trying to see how they could move baseball championship games up a week.. most kids play travel ball in the summer and you will be eliminating that from them if July baseball championship games... plus most kids in baseball get their scholarship offers in select baseball due to the elite tournaments and exposure.

You will also have football coaches very mad that their star players can’t work out in strength and conditioning program because there is baseball season still in July with football season starting in August...

So no football camps for college exposure as well and 7 on 7 for these baseball kids that play football... a kid say a junior right now starts playing in September, has a deep playoff run into January, baseball season starts up in February plays all the way to July and bam 2 weeks later football season again for 2021... come on spring sports took a hit last year. You can’t further delay spring sports to accommodate football. Football needs to sacrifice hate to say it, and that small sacrifice would be 2 playoff teams.  

Just read where the head of the TSTA (Texas State Teachers Association) is saying

“We demand that the governor issue a statewide order that all school buildings must remain closed and all instruction be provided remotely until the pandemic has clearly begun to subside and it is safe to reopen school buildings under strict safety standards. The state and school districts must work with educators to decide when that time is here. In the meantime, school districts must continue to receive full state funding.

So basically schools need to stay close (but continue to pay teachers) until the teachers decide it’s safe to go back to class.

I had an employee crying in my office this morning. She was able to “work from home” during the initial quarantine, but she was largely ineffective with two little ones underfoot. She returned to work as soon as daycares reopened in May. She has two kids in daycare... one is young and the other is elementary aged. She’s going to have to quit her job if they push the online thing. There’s no way that she can work for us, pick the kids up from daycare, and then try to teach her own in the evening. The daycare COULD try to help with instruction, but who knows how that would work. And if it’s safe enough for daycares to be open, why not schools?
Let teach pay end on 7/31 and the whole problem will fix itself. 

7 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Just read where the head of the TSTA (Texas State Teachers Association) is saying

“We demand that the governor issue a statewide order that all school buildings must remain closed and all instruction be provided remotely until the pandemic has clearly begun to subside and it is safe to reopen school buildings under strict safety standards. The state and school districts must work with educators to decide when that time is here. In the meantime, school districts must continue to receive full state funding.

So basically schools need to stay close (but continue to pay teachers) until the teachers decide it’s safe to go back to class.

I had an employee crying in my office this morning. She was able to “work from home” during the initial quarantine, but she was largely ineffective with two little ones underfoot. She returned to work as soon as daycares reopened in May. She has two kids in daycare... one is young and the other is elementary aged. She’s going to have to quit her job if they push the online thing. There’s no way that she can work for us, pick the kids up from daycare, and then try to teach her own in the evening. The daycare COULD try to help with instruction, but who knows how that would work. And if it’s safe enough for daycares to be open, why not schools?

Don't have enough teachers as it is. Might have tons quit if you don't even entertain their requests.

Not that I don't agree to some extent, just playing devil's advocate.

20 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

UIL just a year or two ago was trying to see how they could move baseball championship games up a week.. most kids play travel ball in the summer and you will be eliminating that from them if July baseball championship games... plus most kids in baseball get their scholarship offers in select baseball due to the elite tournaments and exposure.

You will also have football coaches very mad that their star players can’t work out in strength and conditioning program because there is baseball season still in July with football season starting in August...

So no football camps for college exposure as well and 7 on 7 for these baseball kids that play football... a kid say a junior right now starts playing in September, has a deep playoff run into January, baseball season starts up in February plays all the way to July and bam 2 weeks later football season again for 2021... come on spring sports took a hit last year. You can’t further delay spring sports to accommodate football. Football needs to sacrifice hate to say it, and that small sacrifice would be 2 playoff teams.  

I don't know that the impact to non-UIL sports entities, such as select baseball and softball, AAU, club volleyball and 7 on 7 entities will hold much sway with the UIL as most of these have had, shall we say, contentious, relations with the UIL over one issue or the other.

Nobody else is still sitting home drawing full pay and demanding that their employer stay shut down indefinitely. Bars are begging for the chance to reopen. A couple of months ago it was beauticians, barbers, gyms, and tattoo parlors. But not teachers. 

Teachers aren’t special. 

If you don’t want to go back to work, I’m good with that. You just can’t expect to keep cashing our checks. 

46 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Never let a good Crisis go to Waste! Way to go Teachers! So we’re suppose to lock up all the children till the teachers feel it safe to go back to school. The teachers can wear mask and social distance just like they do when they go to Walmart, Lowe’s, and all those family vacations I’ve seen them on since March! We can open up responsibly. So many people are getting played on so many levels. It’s pretty sickening! I guess when people start getting the flu in conjunction with the virus during flu season we’re all suppose to just give up an commit suicide! Good Grief!

9 minutes ago, NetCat said:

A lot of the schools in the area have said the same thing.

But apparently UIL, TEA, and the Governor are having some kind of meeting and will announce something on Monday. 

Well I hope each city will be allowed to do what they thinks best for their city. The science and data shows they need to be back in school. Take common sense measures, accommodate  the vulnerable which is a small percentage an rip the band off so this country can get going again.  This country can’t function in fear are it will crumble which is what some of these parasites want in this country!

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nobody else is still sitting home drawing full pay and demanding that their employer stay shut down indefinitely. Bars are begging for the chance to reopen. A couple of months ago it was beauticians, barbers, gyms, and tattoo parlors. But not teachers. 

Teachers aren’t special. 

If you don’t want to go back to work, I’m good with that. You just can’t expect to keep cashing our checks. 

As a teacher, my contract is spread out so I continue to be paid in June, July, and August. I have already earned my money. 

I am ready to go back. Our new contracts start in September. I will be working from wherever they tell me.

33 minutes ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

As a teacher, my contract is spread out so I continue to be paid in June, July, and August. I have already earned my money. 

I am ready to go back. Our new contracts start in September. I will be working from wherever they tell me.

You mean your students parents helped you earn that money for March, April, and May. Your Welcome. Hope you get to get back in the classroom to teach.

17 minutes ago, Realville said:

You mean your students parents helped you earn that money for March, April, and May. Your Welcome. Hope you get to get back in the classroom to teach.

The smaller schools may be able to pull this off but what about the school that have 3 to 6000 kids how would u social distance that. See what I'm saying is the moment the schools shutdown last I would have been planning course of action then to figure out how to get back to school safely for this year but no thought it would last this long so thier just throwing things together to trying to get the schools open I always say A RUSH JOB IS A HURT JOB. And remember its no such thing as a failed plan, its people that fail the plan.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Teachers aren’t special. 

I don't think any of them are doing that. Teachers are still going to be educating, just virtually.

They are cashing our checks to educate our kids...not babysit them. 

As long as they are teaching then they should get paid. 

Just my two cents

13 minutes ago, NetCat said:

I don't think any of them are doing that. Teachers are still going to be educating, just virtually.

They are cashing our checks to educate our kids...not babysit them. 

As long as they are teaching then they should get paid. 

Just my two cents

Is anybody claiming that an hour or two of online instruction is a suitable replacement for in-classroom instruction?

2 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Is anybody claiming that an hour or two of online instruction is a suitable replacement for in-classroom instruction?

Well there a families that are teaming up with others families making pandemic pods and paying the teachers to come to them for several hours a day every teaching there kids.