Defund, or abolish?

WOSdrummer99

I really think every city that wants to defund the police should get a week without them, and see how it goes.  It's ridiculous.  I'm all for weeding out bad police, and punishing police who break the law (not punishing police who make a reasonable decision in the moment that turns out to be a mistake), but the idea that cities are better off with out police is absurd.  You can already see the effects on crime numbers in cities where police support is low.  Officers are not proactive anymore.  Why would you go out and beat the bushes and try to stop crime before it happens when you know that any time you do your job you could be tried and convicted in the media?  Why would you do that when you might be attacked for being there?  It's better to just wait for calls to come in and go after the fact and avoid confrontations.  

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I really think every city that wants to defund the police should get a week without them, and see how it goes.  It's ridiculous.  I'm all for weeding out bad police, and punishing police who break the law (not punishing police who make a reasonable decision in the moment that turns out to be a mistake), but the idea that cities are better off with out police is absurd.  You can already see the effects on crime numbers in cities where police support is low.  Officers are not proactive anymore.  Why would you go out and beat the bushes and try to stop crime before it happens when you know that any time you do your job you could be tried and convicted in the media?  Why would you do that when you might be attacked for being there?  It's better to just wait for calls to come in and go after the fact and avoid confrontations.  

Defund the police comes from an overthrow tactic used since Marx. If you say something enough times, people will start to believe it. You can call it brainwashing, indoctrination, re-education or whatever.  In some ways it is  almost like the Stockholm Syndrome where hostages start siding with the criminals that take them hostage and threaten their lives. 

The police are not the problem in any neighborhood but they are portrayed to be such for political gain. Like in the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, MO. It was put out as a story that he was surrendering on his  knees. The facts, witnesses and physical evidence completely refuted that claim. The US Department of Justice and the FBI spent a year and a few million dollars and ended up with the same conclusion that the county DA did in a few days. That was there was no evidence of wrongdoing by the officer.  The police were not the problem there either yet it caused nationwide riots.

Even with this defund the police mantra we need to ask ourselves, does the Black community feel the same way as they are portrayed? Do the protesters represent the entire Black community?

Let’s see what the Gallup Poll survey says about that in a poll released in August 2020. 

This is the hidden content, please

According to Gallup 81% of Blacks want as much police presence “or more”. Compare that to 88% of Whites and 83% of Hispanics. That seems like very similar options especially considering the beating that the police receive in the press in the Black community.  Maybe even more telling is that 20% of Blacks and 24% of Hispanics want “more”’ police in they neighborhoods as opposed to 17% of Whites. So the minority communities (who the narrative is that hate the police), actually wants more of them than the White population. I can guarantee from experience, those minority communities in most cases already have a larger police presence and yet they want more. I am glad that they want more but that isn’t the narrative put out by the media who gets clicks and money by controversy and some segments that promote their own political status. From Gallup I believe it shows what I think, that there is very little differences in communities but there is no benefit to saying that in some people’s opinions. In fact it hurts some political opinions to say, we are pretty much all the same.

If you look at the Gallup survey, you will find what I believe. People have very little differences and want the same things regardless of race or community including a police presence.  The problem comes from people that go to great lengths to try and convince others that they are different and that “they” (elected or unelected political figures) are the answer. The only thing they are the answer to is their own power.

In my opinion....