just want to see what every thinks about this article i saw

Guest coachhooker

Guest coachhooker

Whitehouse's Randy McFarlin Blames Baseball All-Star System For Players Absence

Whitehouse Coach Not Happy With Little League

By SHANE STARK

Staff Writer

Earlier this week, the Whitehouse football team began defending last season's district championship. And earlier this week, the Tyler East Senior League All-Stars continued stamping toward a world baseball title.

Call it The Gridiron versus The Diamond.

Tyler East's success forced four Whitehouse players to make a decision. Would they forego the first week of preseason football workouts and resume their summer baseball season at the Little League Senior World Series? Or would they drop what might be a dream of a lifetime and get fitted for a football helmet Monday morning?

All four chose the former. And Whitehouse head coach Randy McFarlin said that violates team principle.

"God is first, family is second, your education is third and then it's football," he said. "School has to take precedent over non-school."

But McFarlin blames the Little League system, not the players, for the absence of junior quarterback Brady Attaway, junior wide receiver/linebacker Seth Cashion, junior receiver Ryan Bell and junior receiver Heath Mayo. He said non-school leagues should not allow their seasons to overlap with school sports.

"All four of the kids have worked hard during the season to prepare themselves for football season," McFarlin said. "It's not their fault. It's the Little League organization's fault to have a tournament this late in the year."

McFarlin penciled all four into the starting lineup in his preseason depth chart, but soon pulled out the eraser. He said they've been given unexcused absences, meaning they will have to earn their spots back and complete extra running drills.

"When a kid has something with a church function, we work with that. A death in the family: we excuse that. If it's class work, we have to do that," he said. "But fourth is football ... I talked to the kids and the parents and told them it would be unexcused. They understood. So there's no problem."

Attaway is a reigning District 12-4A and All-East Texas Newcomer of the Year, and many expect the 6-1, 170-pounder to only improve this season. He passed for more than 2,000 yards while guiding the Wildcats to the third round of the postseason. In his absence, reserve Braden McDaniel has been working with the first team and will start in the first scrimmage next Friday against Carthage.

"I just don't believe in missing a school-sponsored activity," McFarlin said.

Nonetheless, McFarlin said the first week of practice has been productive. He said every day has been intense. He added that finding leadership has been a key assessment for his coaching staff.

The loss of running back/linebacker Luke Shivers, cornerback Chad Emmons, defensive lineman Evan Beaton, defensive lineman Bradley Wallace, offensive lineman Jeff Sanders and running back Jimmy Kennedy to graduation cost the team leadership.

Stepping in and filling the void have been senior linebacker Cody Brown, senior offensive lineman Nathan Brown, senior receiver Leslie Perdue, senior linebacker Taylor Sulser and senior running back Matt Ponce.

"They've got to set the example both in work habit and making good choices - and expect to win. That's a winning attitude," McFarlin said. "They've been first on the field, they've stepped up in their drill work and they've done things right."

McFarlin said 81 players currently fill the varsity roster. He expects quarterback, receiver, defense and depth to be team strengths.

---

comments?????????

That coach needs to learn that his center of the universe isn't necessarily everyone elses.  If those players worked as hard as the coach says they did then there shouldn't be a problem getting up to speed when they return.  I don't have a problem with him making them earn their positions back, that's a consequence of their decision, but its pretty cold of the coach to be critical of the opportunity that they had in front of them.

I disagree I think he is completely right. School Sports come first.

So you're saying that those kids in Williamsport at the Little League World Series (the granddaddy of all youth sports experiences) who are missing their junior high football practices are wrong for being there?

I'm sure the Whitehouse baseball coach is happy with their decision.  ;)

I think the guy is a nutcase. All that he is going to do is cause dissension in his team.

There are a bunch of ways that this thing can play out. Just one for example,  let's say the coach benches the starters that played baseball like he says and they will have to "earn" their way back. It seems to me that they have already earned their way and are the best players at their position. Did the second stringers really get that much better in the week or so of practice that they guys missed? Not likely.

So now what? The second stringers either know that the coach is an idiot and he is using them for a pawn to get back at the starters or they really think that they are now number one on the depth chart only to be crushed two weeks later before the season begins when they realize that the starters (and best players) are really going to be number one anyway.

Then the goof goes on to say "It's not their fault. It's the Little League organization's fault to have a tournament this late in the year."

Wait a minute, he is punishing the starters by moving them down on the depth chart for something that even he states is not their fault? What a rocket scientist he is.

I wouldn't be surprise if one or more of them quit in disgust. No matter what the coach believed (or how wrong he is), I think he would have been better off to keep his mouth shut.

What an experience these kids would miss if they were to go to football practice. Are you kidding me? School sport or no school sport they shouldn't miss this chance of a lifetime. You only get to be kid once. I know I would have been right there with those boys. Good for them for telling the coach they were going to play baseball.

I think the Coach is going "Over the Top" on this. This clearly a chance of a lifetime for these young men. I thought part of being a Coach is not only to

teach kids but to also support them. I might be a little supportive of the

Coach had this not been an Athletic endeavor.

Guest 87CRU79

I agree with the coach, school sports should come before non-school sports. the only thing that All-Stars do in August is throw kinks in the develpment of the team, if the baseball players do play football. Dustin Hood stayed in Nederland to play football when he could have played in all stars, and the same thing with Sampere.

I believe that those kids should have to make up for all of the conditioning that the missed during preseason workouts. No one is above the team, I don't care if you are in Williamsport or not.

I agree with the coach, school sports should come before non-school sports. the only thing that All-Stars do in August is throw kinks in the develpment of the team, if the baseball players do play football. Dustin Hood stayed in Nederland to play football when he could have played in all stars, and the same thing with Sampere.

I believe that those kids should have to make up for all of the conditioning that the missed during preseason workouts. No one is above the team, I don't care if you are in Williamsport or not.

I dont believe this is about anybody being above the Football team. The decision to play in the baseball world series is a great lifetime experience. What about the remaining all star baseball players who are not playing football? This was their chance this summer to experience their dream of a championship. Sounds as if all 4 football players have to do to make the 1st team is do extra drills when they return from baseball anyway.

"school sports should come before non-school sports"   - otherwise who will determine what is a legit excuse - summer swim team, bowling league, square dancing, world championship pie eating contest !

The summer baseball all star teams vs fall H.S. football teams will always be a debate in Texas!

Seems like we just had this conversation on the softball side.  There are only a dozen teams in the USA that have this problem.  If I were the coach and my kids were on one of the teams I would be celebrating their success and doing whatever to support them.  Obviously they are great athletes and could catch up with the rest of the football team fast.  Yes, they would have makeup, not as a punishment, just to equalize teamwork.  This coach is wanting the conflict and I'm sure he will get it.

I agree that the little league season should end a little earlier but only because some of these kids are absent from school until after they are through with the little league season. My wife taught school for 27 years and she said that parents who have kids still involved with baseball when school starts do not enroll their kids until after the season ends. She said that they miss the review that the teachers give the students during the first week or so of school. However, I think the coach is off base on his reasons. This is a once in a lifetime event for these young kids and they should not have to choose one sport over the other. And I also think they should not be punished for it like doing extra sprints or whatever because they didn't choose football. If they are out of shape then make them do whatever will get them ready to start their season. If a baseball-playing football player is placed behind another player in the position he is supposed to be playing it only should be because the other player is better at that positon at that time. If the baseball player gets better than the starter then he should win his position back. I just do not feel that any kid should have to make a decision based on what a football coach wants or what a baseball coach wants. I think the Whitehouse coach needs to be more adult about this.

Unless I missed something the article said continuing toward a title,it didn't say they were in the world series.This is a decision the kids have to make but one they have to be prepared to live with.When these school coaches in any sport start a season their livelyhood depends on being successful.They have to have their players committed totally to do that.While I admit the LL World Series in Williamsport is a chance of a lifetime for 12 and 13 year olds the same may not be true of some these other endeavors.We as parents have become so afraid of our kids failing we have made National titles,World Series and All Star teams for everything under the sun.I actually watched a cup stacking contest on ESPN the other day between Germany and the USA.I guess we would have to excuse them for missing school sports also.Geez!!!!I don't fault the kids for playing baseball but you can't fault the coach for holding them accountable.

............I don't fault the kids for playing baseball but you can't fault the coach for holding them accountable.

Holding kids accountable for what, playing two sports?

Dustin Hood from Nederland was an all-state quarterback and several times an all-district shortstop. He ended up at a division I school (Wake Forest) playing baseball. I wonder how many practices he missed of one sport over the other. I wonder if Larry Neumann held him "accountable" for being outstanding in two sports.

How many first string basketball players will miss their first few practices when they are playing in the football playoffs? I guess the basketball coach should hold them accountable for being in the football playoffs.

Dustin Hood from Nederland was an all-state quarterback and several times an all-district shortstop. He ended up at a division I school (Wake Forest) playing baseball. I wonder how many practices he missed of one sport over the other. I wonder if Larry Neumann held him "accountable" for being outstanding in two sports.

How many first string basketball players will miss their first few practices when they are playing in the football playoffs? I guess the basketball coach should hold them accountable for being in the football playoffs.

Accountable for the decision they make,these are not school activities they are a summer all star team.If they were school sponsored events such as football playoffs and basketball workouts I'm sure that would be a horse of a different color.You go to any high school and ask a varsity coach to excuse a player from practice to play in a non school related sport I don't think you would get a real warm reception.

Guest coachhooker

for a small community i bet it is different because any community especially in texas would be proud of anyone in any sport to win a national title or even play in one would pe proud

"school sports should come before non-school sports"   - otherwise who will determine what is a legit excuse - summer swim team, bowling league, square dancing, world championship pie eating contest !

I don't think you need a legitimate excuse. All you need to do is make a decision. If there are consequences that cause you to have to do extra work to earn a position then that goes with the decisioin that you made.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder