Lamar Softball

It was suggested I also make this post under the LAMAR SPORTS General tab. So...........let me precede this post with a little explanation  I don't mean any disrespect to Lamar......Soccer........Alumni.........etc.  ;)

I read the article in Sunday 7-15 Enterprise about Lamar Women's sports being well adjusted. I guess without football and since they don't wrestle or have rugby, I shouldn't have been too shocked to scan through the rest of the boring equal rights trivia to find they are forming a new Women's soccer team on 2008. !!!    WHAT?!!!!!    How did that slip in there? What are the alumni and current powers that be thinking? Can anyone please explain how they can slap our SE Texas high school softball girls in the face like this?

I'm just venting here OK?   ???   But Even with all the givens for soccer like:

- they have a field to play on since there is no football (assume they will play there)

- Shirts and shorts don't cost a lot

- Their balls can get wet and still be useful

- All the other Southland conference schools have soccer teams too, right?

Never mind that we have sponsored a National Fastpitch 18-U Tournament in Beaumont for the past 9 years (and a 16 the year before that).

Never mind that we have some of Texas' top high school softball players right here.

Never mind that we (the softball community) have been clammoring for College Softball for years prior to Texans even being able to spell SOckHer!!  

Oh heck.....I better stop before I offend all the girls who play that other sport. I'm just one person anyway and I know they are tremendous athletes as well.

All I can say is congratulations soccer moms.....you've out done us softball dads for sure. At least we have the Seahawks and we look to be pretty awsome in 08' - '09.

Signed....Seahawk Dad in shock! er  :-\

P.S.

It has just been frustrating as I raised a daughter on the leading edge of Title VIV and continued watching my youngest thru highschool get the bottom of the barrel in terms of respect....compared to boys! We really do discriminate....I don't care what you want to say about popularity, croud draw, or the like. Girls are much easier to look at right?  Anyway the gist of this article is the disrespect for SOFTBALL! I can't beleive Lamar Sports has brought in Soccer ahead of Softball! I understand a good deal of funding has even been offered from individuals for facilities so it simply doesn't make sense!

Relax, first you got a few facts wrong. Lamar women's soccer start play this fall, 07. Lamar has already approved Womens softball. A softball stadium will be built next to vicent-beck. Women's swimming should be the next womens sport. This clears the way for Lamar football. $9 million has already been approved for stadium renovations.

lol CHILLLL DUDE!!! softball will be here in a few years .. its not that they approved soccer before softball, its that soccer already had a place to play. you cant say, "ok, in 2007, lamar will have SOFTBALL!!!" this isn't like the movie benchwarmers, they can't build a stadium in one day.. lol so CHILL! it's coming..

Guest coachacola

Lamar does need to announce that softball will be coming in 2008.  And if donors have offered to help with facilities that should speed things up.

UNLV, I don't see the need for a swimming team, unless they play to drop women's tennis or golf.  They won't need more than 8 women's sports.

If softball does start in 2008 then football should begin in 2009.  Lamar needs to get on the ball and start announcing it's intentions with these sports.

Lamar does need to announce that softball will be coming in 2008.  And if donors have offered to help with facilities that should speed things up.

UNLV, I don't see the need for a swimming team, unless they play to drop women's tennis or golf.  They won't need more than 8 women's sports.

If softball does start in 2008 then football should begin in 2009.  Lamar needs to get on the ball and start announcing it's intentions with these sports.

Football equals 2 womens sports. Right now with soccer there is 7 women and 6 men. If LU adds football, LU need at least 2 more womens sports. Dr Simmons said softball and swimming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder