Return of football at Lamar would be benefit to many

Whereas that is true, Lamar has a habit of going overseas etc to get kids in other sports.  My intention is not on disrespecting those students but the community at least needs to know or have possibly heard of some players.  Lamar promotes itself as "our" community university so they have to show it.

I agree.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

I don't, recruit the best athletes you can whether they live in SE Texas or not. I do think a large number of football players can be recruited from SE Texas. I wouldn't expect more than 60% from this area. Perhaps some from the Houston area but you have to keep in mind the top tier athletes in SE Texas want to play at UT, A&M, UH, TCU, Oklahoma, LSU and those types of schools.

BTW, the majority of the baseball team is from this area. Sports like basketball, tennis, golf, soccer have recruited kids from other countries but until kids like J'Covan Brown start choosing Lamar it is hard to fault Steve Roccaforte for going to Florida, California, Mississippi or Nigeria to land a player. Whether we locals like it or not, it is the coach's job in college to win. If they can land the TOP local talent that is just gravy. 

So, if Lamar ever fields a football team again expect 60% from SE Texas/Houston, 20% JC transfers, and 20% from High Schools out of the area.

Now, get a coach like R.C Slocum, or another high profiled coach here maybe the numbers will be different but not much.

Whereas that is true, Lamar has a habit of going overseas etc to get kids in other sports.  My intention is not on disrespecting those students but the community at least needs to know or have possibly heard of some players.  Lamar promotes itself as "our" community university so they have to show it.

I don't think the overall student body is from the golden triangle, or maybe it is, but the majority of the kids in the dorms are from Houston and Dallas area.

Let me clarify my comments.  I have no problem with students/players coming from Houston, Dallas, etc.  I just feel LU definitely will need some local flair.  If LU ever brings back football the fans have to realize they never will be a major force like the big name schools.  You look at schools such as the University of Houston and SMU and have to realize they are not viewed as powerhouse schools and they have the facilties and monies that LU can never reach/touch.  LU has to compete at a McNeese, SHSU, SFA type level.  If you look at those schools you definitely see local players.  Whereas they may not be playing on New Year's Day they are still successful.

Let me clarify my comments.  I have no problem with students/players coming from Houston, Dallas, etc.  I just feel LU definitely will need some local flair.  If LU ever brings back football the fans have to realize they never will be a major force like the big name schools.  You look at schools such as the University of Houston and SMU and have to realize they are not viewed as powerhouse schools and they have the facilties and monies that LU can never reach/touch.  LU has to compete at a McNeese, SHSU, SFA type level.  If you look at those schools you definitely see local players.  Whereas they may not be playing on New Year's Day they are still successful.

I agree with the majority of your statement. Lamar needs to have some local flair but with football if it does come back there will be a lot of locals involved. 60% local HS players, then you have a marching band, 75% or more, twirlers the vast majority from local schools. Cheerleaders, must I state how beautiful our young ladies in SE Texas are, plus they are athletic. I know we have a great dance team and I want us to keep them but they aren't cheerleaders. There is a big difference.

Believe me, if football is ever brought back there has to be and will be a lot of locals involved.

My statement does not even include all the locals Title IX will bring.

This football team has to be about winning. If not, no matter how many locals are on the team, the fans just wont be as many. It's all about money. Getting people in the stands is one thing, getting sponsers is another. Football will get more students at Lamar, as will soccer and softball, but the sponsers are the ones that dish out the big bucks. I fill like 2010 football and softball will be a part of Lamar. Lamar may even have a football coach and staff in line, already talked to them and ready to go when they make the announcement. Getting locals will be important, but getting the best player to make a winning team has to be what this is about. If not, just like others have stated on here before, fans will slowly fad away and the sponsers will take there money. Thats what kill programs.

Guest coachacola

So far the list of candidates are R.C. Slocum, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Craig Stump.  I think the Lamar job would be a step up for one of these guys.

So far the list of candidates are R.C. Slocum, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Craig Stump.  I think the Lamar job would be a step up for one of these guys.

Not a bad group to pick from. It's all about the $$$$$. We will see if they are serious or not about football.

Dr. Simmons has lead Lamar and implemented many improvements since his arrival.  I believe he can allocate resources and personnel to see the program be a success.  I agree with many other posts that the right coach for the program can make it a success.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder