What do you do when????????????????????????

Guest bcofgsa

Guest bcofgsa

I had a parent from the area call m and ask a question that I thought needed to be thrown out for all to reply to. The parent has a girl that will be a freshman at an area school next year. Their SB program has underachieved for several years in a row for whatever reason. She along with other parents had a meeting with the AD and SUP to find out what could be done to improve the program. Here was the comments from the 2 gentlemen as I was told. All that matters at our school is the football programs success. If FOOTBALL is good then we basically do not care if the other programs win or lose.

When they were told about problems with SB they were not interested in helping make a difference or even asking the coach or players what could be done or what the problems were.

HOW DO YOU FIX THIS KIND OF THINKING FROM THE PEOPLE WHO OVERSEE A SCHOOLS TOTAL ATHLETIC PROGRAM?????????????????

Guest bigcat

Title IX

But you've got to be willing to follow through with what you start.

Or grin and bear it and do everything you can to help the coach---who's hands may also be tied.

Also get a solid boosters club going. There is strength in numbers. Get A ball, T ball, little league , any body you can find to join the boosters club. Make something happen.

TITLE IX  !!

If they can't get any action from the AD and the Super, then they need to make an appointment to visit the School Board ! The School Board has the power to make some changes. It's hard to believe that the AD and the Super both told them they only cared about Football !! I mean, I'm sure it's like that at most schools in the area, but to come right out and admit it is hard to believe.

Have you considered a presentation to the school board? A cogent, sensible presentation may generate some positive results. It sounds like you have a real battle on your hands that may span years, or until a new AD comes along.

If that fails, you could rally the troups on this website and we could tar and feather them!!! - just joking ---sorta

It's called    TITLE IX:

Until some teams of parents and Lawyers get together and extend a class action lawsuit across dozens of schools of many Districts and classifications, absolutely nothing is going to change!

The ADs are most all of the same accord--Football is the only thing that counts, period.

They will give lip service and try to calm parents down--but the Athletic Programs send all the money to pay good salaries to Football Coaches.  All good equipment & favors are extended to "football".  Diamond sports(softball especially) have ratty little stands for those taxpaying parents, kin, and town fans to sit on.

A good team of lawyers and hundreds of calls to State and Federal officials might just have to be employed--PASSIVE RESISTANCE HAS GONE ON FOR YEARS BY SCHOOL OFFICIALS AND SCHOOL BOARDS.

To get equal money spent on girls might even take more state legislation.  If the Senate of Texas can pass a bill this week to force UIL to accept Private Schools who recruit in the UIL system---maybe additional new Title IX type legislation need be passed.

This is the hidden content, please

The link above will take you to the NCAA Gender Equity Manual and goes into specific details surrounding Title IX.  It is written as an NCAA document but the same concepts apply to high school athletics.

It makes for good reading and you will discover that it is not as simple as a "dollar-for-dollar" issue...that many incorrectly believe Title IX states.  Participation numbers and the type of sport are just two factors that allow for a lesser funding amount for a particular sport.

Granted, some sports are being flat out ignored, and yes that is a problem. 

Guest WeedBegone

Here is how you need to approach the problem.

You need  about 120 feet of good string.

On the football field start at the 50 yarline and run 60 feet to your right from point A to B.  Then run 60 feet from the other side From point A to C to form a wide shaped V  Then connect points A cnd C to point D which will form a Diamond.

Then take 1/2 gallon of ROUND up and spray evenly between the strings and let simmer for two weeks. 

Your AD and Sup will then get the point as to what they are up against.

Re-apply when necessary.

Respectfully submitted

WeedBegone.

In a roundabout way---i have done this on a soccer practice field---and they gave me a 100 hour service certificate.  Go figure!!  ;)

On the football field start at the 50 yarline and run 60 feet to your right from point A to B.  Then run 60 feet from the other side From point A to C to form a wide shaped V  Then connect points A cnd C to point D which will form a Diamond.

Then take 1/2 gallon of ROUND up and spray evenly between the strings and let simmer for two weeks. 

Re-apply when necessary.

Respectfully submitted

WeedBegone.

In a roundabout way---i have done this on a soccer practice field---and they gave me a 100 hour service certificate.  Go figure!!  ;)

I like your way of thinking !!! ;):D

Re-apply when necessary.

Respectfully submitted

WeedBegone.

Yeah, that's a good way to handle things.  Destroy something that belongs to another sport too get what you want.  Punish the football players, because it's their fault that the school doesn't provide more money for softball.  If one sport suffers all should!!!  It's nice to see what the children in the world are being taught.

Yeah, that's a good way to handle things.  Destroy something that belongs to another sport too get what you want.  Punish the football players, because it's their fault that the school doesn't provide more money for softball.  If one sport suffers all should!!!  It's nice to see what the children in the world are being taught.

Ty - You did see the  ;) at the bottom, right?  ???

I agree with the suggestion that there is strength in numbers.  If your community does not value softball, baseball, basketball, track, etc.  don't expect the school board to.  I assure you that the board values what the community does or they won't be on the board for long. Bashing football (or whatever sport is the focus) is not smart.  You only alienate a large group of potential supporters.   Money alone does not build a program or fix a problem.  Start at the heart level and the wallet will soon follow.  (paraphrasing a Biblical text).......

Ok then no round up allowed - so lets use white spray paint  !  It will get the point acroos and in a couple weeks you can fix it with a lawn mower !  ;) ;) ;D

Ok, I've got one.  Move to another state.  95% of the high schools in Texas revolve around football.  That's the way it is.  The other sports are, and always will be, secondary.  It goes back to supply and demand.  The schools will supply want the community demands.  I've never seen a community stop down for a softball game.  I'm not just talking softball either.  It's the same for volleyball, baseball, track, basketball etc...  Football rules in the state of TEXAS. 

Guest WeedBegone

Ty - You did see the  ;) at the bottom, right?   ???

1, 2, 3, 4,5,6..,7...,8...........9..................@#$%$# and #$%$#@#$ and if #$%^%. 

Yeah you missed the  ;) but now its >:( .  Never suggested that we punish the football players.  Never suggested suffering.  Quite frankly you missed the point. 

We now can see why we find ourselves critisizing some of the area programs and comparing them to TB.  In TB, The teams that organize, see that the girls are equipped with adequate  numbers of coaches, gear, fields, games, balls, and many other accessories.  Some--not all of our area schools that under law are supposed to have equal opportunities, are bold enough to admit where there concentration is.  So who is being punished here.  This thread is proof that some of our area HS coaches have to walk on thin ice because the ones who evaluate their job performance and control their salaries may see other sports as an evil necessity. 

For you to comment such as you have is equally as bold.  So get your spoon out of my pot. 

Where are you slugo, back us up bagfan, keep that lock in your pocket JT60,get me some ice BigHam, hold me back DIVA.     ;) That feels better now.

Oh--Ty Cobb has been dead for a long time---get your own name. ???

I had a parent from the area call m and ask a question that I thought needed to be thrown out for all to reply to. The parent has a girl that will be a freshman at an area school next year. Their SB program has underachieved for several years in a row for whatever reason. She along with other parents had a meeting with the AD and SUP to find out what could be done to improve the program. Here was the comments from the 2 gentlemen as I was told. All that matters at our school is the football programs success. If FOOTBALL is good then we basically do not care if the other programs win or lose.

When they were told about problems with SB they were not interested in helping make a difference or even asking the coach or players what could be done or what the problems were.

HOW DO YOU FIX THIS KIND OF THINKING FROM THE PEOPLE WHO OVERSEE A SCHOOLS TOTAL ATHLETIC PROGRAM?????????????????

Why is the softball program underachieving IYO?  Is it no money? Coaching? lack of talent (cant make chicken salad)?  

Title IX story   My daughter was playing college volleyball and part of the deal was a job for the AD.  There was an AD change after her freshman year and the new AD fired her and hired a 7footer from Germany for the boys team.  We filed a suite under title nine.  We won the suite, sortof , the answer was for the college to start a girls soccer program. Andl my daughter got a Soccer Field named after her.  ;D

Oh--Ty Cobb has been dead for a long time---get your own name. ???

I guess since I chose a screen name from an all-time baseball great I should be punished.  You should get me in a title IX lawsuit, maybe I would be forced to change my screen name to Jennie Finch.   

Guest bcofgsa

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am sure she reads this stuff everyday. It is not a money issue.They have a great field. It's not a talent issue . They could have been a playoff contender this year. It is not a parent issue. They are truely concerned with the direction of the program. They have watched these kids grow up together and compete both against each other and on the same teams. Most HS coaches would love to have the talent that the have . But for an AD and SUP to make those statements (and I do not believe this lady would ever not tell the truth) is what we as parents have to fight for our kids. I played football and when I was in school I never thought much about the girls programs. Boy how things change when you have girls.

Guest slugo

Ty,

Exactly which school district are we talking about here?

Don't be shy, we're all anonymous. Enquiring minds want to know.

I find it hard to believe there could be a superintendent any worse than mine.

Love,

Slugo

Student / Parent of BISD since 1965

I guess since I chose a screen name from an all-time baseball great I should be punished.  You should get me in a title IX lawsuit, maybe I would be forced to change my screen name to Jennie Finch.   

Jennie Finch would be more proper for this site ! ;) ;D

Guest WeedBegone

Jennie Finch would be more proper for this site ! ;) ;D

and ...10

No need to file a title IX lawsuite.  Mr. Cobb is being punished enough from what you have written in his name. LOL  Anyway, in a gentlemans fashion--i will yield the last comment to you and in like manner offer you a handshake as if it were a well played game.  Keep those cleats sharpened.

And if ever you have a problem with weeds where ever you may be---contact me---and i'll be there.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder