WHO SHOULD YOU START

SENIOR

I think you need a little more information before giving a definate answer to that question.  If there is such a thing as two players with the EXACT same skills, I guess it would come down to who is working the hardest to be in the line up.  Who has the best attitude?  If you still cant make a decision and the two are still equally matched I couldn't blame a coach that would start the underclassman, especially if he has a team full of seniors and a bunch of young players coming up next year.  That talented underclassman could use the varsity experience.  Too many possible scenarios here.  I'd have to leave that decision to the coach, that is why they pay him the big bucks. ;)

Probably would also depend on how the team is doing as well.......are they playoff bound, or just finishing out the season.  Is it a breakout year, or a rebuilding year.  Lots of things can affect the decision which is ultimately the coach's. 

The Senior should always have the first chance to play, but if that Senior is struggling and there is an underclassmen with equal skills, put him in !

The Senior player will probably never play baseball again, to me that would weigh heavy on my decision who gets the start, I just dont see how some coaches can put a talented Senior on the bench and never give him a chance. I would not be able too sleep at night..

Baseball is a game of opportunity.

Well.....that would show what kind of coach you have.  If the players are equal....Playing the underclassmen would be benefitting the coach, playing the Senior would be benefitting the Senior.  Which decision do they make? 

I have to disagree.  Playing the underclassman benefits the PROGRAM, not just the coach.  Shadow made a very good point, there is no lesson here for the senior or the underclassman as to how you earn things in the real world if the decision is made solely on your classification. 

You sat the bench your senior year because someone outworked you for your position?  Such is life.

The question asked if they were equal:  If equal, give the guy who has stuck it out the starts!  He has only this chance.  The underclassman will be there next year.  There are coaches who always plays the underclassman, building for next year.  The seniors should play if and when equal.

The question asked if they were equal:  If equal, give the guy who has stuck it out the starts!  He has only this chance.  The underclassman will be there next year.  There are coaches who always plays the underclassman, building for next year.  The seniors should play if and when equal.

Exactly

If they are EVEN in skills........and you say to play the underclassman, what are you telling the kids in the program??  That when they become seniors and there is a younger kid with equal skills you will cast the senior aside???

Plus, the senior should be more mature so even if the skills are even, he should have an edge in the mental part of the game.

If they are EVEN in skills........and you say to play the underclassman, what are you telling the kids in the program??  That when they become seniors and there is a younger kid with equal skills you will cast the senior aside???

Nope-you are telling them not to slack off just because they are seniors, there will always be someone trying to take your spot if you are not willing to work hard enough to keep it.  I have seen senioritis get the best of many teams.  When there are some young talented kids waiting in the wings for an opportunity to play, it tends to keep the seniors focused on the task at hand.  I am not saying a 2 or three year starter should be benched because there is a talented underclassman taking their spot.  The scenario I have in mind with this question is, you have a senior that has played jv up until his senior year when he is automatically on varsity.  Just because he is automatically on varsity does not mean he deserves the starting position if there is a young athlete of equal talent that will be back a few more seasons to benefit the program in the future.

Nope-you are telling them not to slack off just because they are seniors, there will always be someone trying to take your spot if you are not willing to work hard enough to keep it.  I have seen senioritis get the best of many teams.  When there are some young talented kids waiting in the wings for an opportunity to play, it tends to keep the seniors focused on the task at hand.  I am not saying a 2 or three year starter should be benched because there is a talented underclassman taking their spot.  The scenario I have in mind with this question is, you have a senior that has played jv up until his senior year when he is automatically on varsity.  Just because he is automatically on varsity does not mean he deserves the starting position if there is a young athlete of equal talent that will be back a few more seasons to benefit the program in the future.

Then they are not equal in skills are they???  Most likely, like another poster stated....there aren't two kids EVENLY skilled in the same position...but that was the premise stated in the initial post.

I would stick with the senior....if he had "senioritis" he could be worse if they started off with EVEN skills.....if he is playing down due to the syndrome, I would play the underclassman.  But what does it matter.........I ain't the coach!!!

Plus, the senior should be more mature so even if the skills are even, he should have an edge in the mental part of the game.

For whatever the reasons, it seems to be a general concensus that underclassmen outrank upperclassmen in most all sports for the sake of "rebuilding" year after year.  I'm not saying that there aren't outstanding underclassmen, because there are.  But, I find it hard to believe that they are continuously that much better than the upper classmen.  The experience and mental game have to have some merit, otherwise why not just say athletics is for freshmen and sophomores only and forget those kids who have worked their way up and have a desire and an interest to play at the next level (regardless if it is D1 or JUCO).  I suppose that those underclassmen need to enjoy their glory as freshmen and sophomores because by the time they're juniors and seniors, someone is going to be "rebuilding" once again! 

Yes red1

School board members kids and those fellows with good looking moms.

Then every now and again the good looking mom on the school board.  Her kid would be a shoe in.

and yes again red1, we are joking.

Now you are starting to sound like you are drafting for little league play!!

"Can the kid play?"  "Dunno, but his Mom is good looking."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami