***UIL Considering Radical Football Realignment Plan***

The biggest problem the UIL will face will be mainly in the larger classifications where the schools are all concentrated in the major metropolitan areas with a few isolated programs miles and miles away from the nearest school of similar size.  I mapped out the 102 largest programs in the state and came up with the following:

For one thing, the Houston area contains almost half of the schools with the largest enrollment. 

Greater Houston: 47 teams

Dallas/Ft Worth: 25 teams

San Antonio: 10 teams

Odessa/Midland: 4 teams

El Paso: 4 teams

Rio Grande Valley: 3 teams (La Joya, Brownsville Hanna, Harlingen)

Austin metro: 3 teams (Austin Bowie, Georgetown, RR Stony Point)

and then you have 6 outlying teams close to no one else: Del Rio, Laredo United, and Victoria Memorial in the bottom half of the state and Bryan, San Angelo Central and Tyler Lee in the upper half. 

The 5A-D1 classification would almost have to be divided up like this to avoid huge distances between district opponents:

District 1: 4 El Paso teams with the possibility of moving the next 1 or 2 largest in enrollment up to make a 5 or 6 team district

District 2: the 4 Odessa/Midland teams plus San Angelo

Districts 3 - 6: the 25 DFW teams plus Tyler Lee divided in to two 6 team districts and two 7 team districts.

District 7: The 3 Austin area teams + Bryan and possibly move Round Rock McNeil up as they are right at the cutoff

District 8-13: divide the 47 Houston area teams into six districts with 7 or 8 teams each.

Districts 14-15: divide the 10 San Antonio teams + Victoria + Del Rio in to 2 six team districts

District 16: the 3 South Texas teams plus Laredo United.

If you try to increase the total number of teams to try to add some that potentially would be closer to some of the outlying ones you would be out of luck.  Numbers 103 -120 in order of enrollment are: SA Taft, Houston Westbury, Round Rock McNeil, Ft Bend Hightower, Humble Atascocita, Pasadena High, CC King, Mansfield Summit, Baytown Lee, Lake Highlands, Round Rock Westwood, Edinburg, Donna, Mesquite, EP Coronado, Ft Bend Bush, Abilene, Katy Morton Ranch

102 Largest Enrollment Programs Statewide

(using official 2006 enrollments.  Odessa Permian has a marker but isn't labeled.)

5ad1state.jpg

Greater San Antonio Area

5ad1sa.jpg

Dallas-Ft Worth Area

5ad1dfw.jpg

Greater Houston Area (North of I-10)

(The bottom edge of the marker for Conroe HS is at the very top of the screen)

5ad1nhou.jpg

Greater Houston area (South of I-10)

(Brazoswood is at the extreme bottom and Ft Bend Austin has a marker but isn't labeled)

5ad1shou.jpg

If I have time I'll try to plot out the lower classifications....

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eagle73

No matter what the UIL does in realignment, there will always be people complaining about unfairness to "their teams". When Newton won the championship in '98, it was the fifth smallest school in the entire state in 3A. Not just playoff teams, but all 3A schools. Don't adjust the system because some schools settle for mediocrity in their programs and hope they can "make the playoffs this year". Get real, you have to have a program that wants to win, period. These are built at home, not in Austin.

My projected 5A-D2 containing the #103 through #204 largest programs in the state would look like this (using 2006 numbers):

The smaller 5A schools include a large portion of the Valley schools, about the same amount of DFW and San Antonio schools and a lot fewer Houston area schools compared to D1.

Greater Houston: 21 teams

Dallas/Ft Worth: 29 teams including Weatherford

Central Texas: 19 teams

Rio Grande Valley: 15 teams

Panhandle: 4 teams (3 Lubbock teams, Amarillo Tascosa)

El Paso: 5 teams (Coronado, El Dorado, Hanks, Bel Air, Eastwood)

There are 9 major outlying schools including Lufkin, Longview, West Brook, PA Memorial, Abilene, the 2 Corpus schools and the 2 Laredo schools. 

The 5A-D2 district breakdown could look something like this:

District 1: 5 El Paso teams

District 2: the 4 Panhandle teams + possibly Abilene

Districts 3 - 6: the 29 DFW teams plus Longview divided in to two 7 team districts and two 8 team districts

District 7-10: the 21 Houston teams plus West Brook, PA Memorial and Lufkin divided in to four 6 team districts

District 11-13: divide the 19 central Texas teams into two 6 team districts and one 7 team district

Districts 14-16: divide the 15 valley teams plus the 4 Corpus and Laredo teams into two 6 team districts and one 7 team district

#103-204 Largest Enrollment Programs Statewide

(using official 2006 enrollments)

5ad2state.jpeg

West Texas

5ad2west.jpeg

Central Texas

5ad2sa.jpeg

Dallas-Ft Worth Area

(Weatherford is a little bit west of the left edge of the map)

5ad2dfw.jpeg

Houston Metro

5ad2hou.jpeg

South Texas

5ad2south.jpeg

More to come if you're interested.... 

WOS87

You da Man

Quick question can you check out the Stephenville District we are 8AAAA we are stuck out in the middle of nowhere

It's almost certain that Stephenville and Brownwood will drop down to 3A so the nearest neighbors to Stephenville in my projection of 3A-D1 are plotted below:

3ad1west.jpeg

There are no local teams (from the Golden Triangle at least) that fall in to the #205-306 enrollment window which potentially would be 4A-D1.  I haven't put the entire state together yet but the Southeast Texas region looks like this:

4ad1setx.jpeg

Almost all of the current District 22-4A are smack in the middle of the #307-408 enrollment window which potentially would be 4A-D2.  The Southeast Texas region would look like this:

4ad2setx.jpeg

#409-510 would be 3A-D1 and includes the smaller members of the current 4A and the larger members of the current 3A (Jasper is the very smallest of the group coming in as the 510th largest school in the state)

3ad1setx.jpeg

According to WOS87's map, the 3A-D1 local district would be Silsbee, Jasper, Lumberton, LCM, Barbers Hill, Huffman, and Splendora. That would put Jasper, Barbers Hill, and Huffman traveling 2 hours for a district game. What's fair about that?

I'm sorry, but trying to get equal enrollment schools to face each other in district and the playoffs is impossible without stretching the districts out too broad. I'll be suprised if the super's pass this.

Of course the new Baytown and Kingwood HS will both throw some kinks in the split, especially in Baytown as that will create 3 schools with an enrollment around 1500 students, which are all a Dayton size 4A in numbers. Food fo thought as to how it might look around this area.

Guest ECBucFan

I'm sorry, but trying to get equal enrollment schools to face each other in district and the playoffs is impossible without stretching the districts out too broad. I'll be suprised if the super's pass this.

That was my point earlier, exactly. Less fans in the stands, I can guarantee that. Some folks don't get off work til 6 PM or so, then a looooooong drive? And gas $3/gallon?However, it really is a "done deal". Bank on it. CB & Co. loves to micro-manage. It's done.  :( 

According to WOS87's map, the 3A-D1 local district would be Silsbee, Jasper, Lumberton, LCM, Barbers Hill, Huffman, and Splendora. That would put Jasper, Barbers Hill, and Huffman traveling 2 hours for a district game. What's fair about that?

Nothing the UIL might do would surprise me.  Back in the late seventies or early eighties Silsbee, Jasper, Lumberton, LCM, BC, Hebert, Crosby and others were in a district that also included Channelview and Galena Park.  Fourteen teams!  Don't for a minute think the UIL won't do the totally unthinkable. >:(

Guest ECBucFan

Nothing the UIL might do would surprise me. ..........  Fourteen teams!  Don't for a minute think the UIL won't do the totally unthinkable. >:(

Amen. It almost seems like it's a game to the UIL. I think they love to see schools and fans left twisting in the wind. Some kinda ego trip, I guess. I swear, I wish they could just let things basically alone for awhile. Never happen, though, when politics and money is involved....  >:(

Guest JCfan

The positive is that this could keep some small schools in each division from getting killed all the time.

By the way, if you get outside of towns and areas more populated with schools, then you have to travel anyway.

Team I played on had to travel up to two hours on some district games. That goes on now already for some schools.

Smaller districts with fewer teams in each district could even out how much travel is done.

I am with Cooper, think it will work.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder