***UIL Considering Radical Football Realignment Plan***

Guest ECBucFan

HS travels....but JH don't.... 5A does,...but the rest don't...for now...90% approves...but that comes from the UIL site...

What a mess! That's what happens when beaurocrats micromanage. It's gonna cause a lot of problems, in the name of "fairness". IMHO, if you are scared of the "larger" teams in your own district, well, you shouldn't be playing ball, period.

BTW: EC was 5th out of 7 teams, sizewise in district. We went undefeated.  8)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HS travels....but JH don't.... 5A does,...but the rest don't...for now...90% approves...but that comes from the UIL site...

What a mess! That's what happens when beaurocrats micromanage. It's gonna cause a lot of problems, in the name of "fairness". IMHO, if you are scared of the "larger" teams in your own district, well, you shouldn't be playing ball, period.

BTW: EC was 5th out of 7 teams, sizewise in district. We went undefeated.   8)

Good point

• 1 month later...

ask buna how it is to be the small school in district for years and now get to be the big school in district. as for the travel most small schools travel anyway. the larger schools are lucky in this area that the district have mostly been local a few exceptions "dayton baytown" westbrook and pam travel all other locals have dropped.i rteally like the sound of this

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of all the whining about school size. In 2000, we went to the championship game as one of the smallest 4A schools in Texas. I realize it makes a difference in the size of the talent pool, but not enough for some wacky re-alignment like this one. That re-districting would leave us with Bridge City as our only reasonably close rival. Silsbee would be the next closest. That totally ruins what high school football is supposed to be about - playing your neighbors, your neighboring school, your neighboring town, etc. Cross-town rivalries could be squashed with this crap.

WO-S just beat a school with almost double its enrollment for the second straight year. Get over this enrollment thing, UIL. The current system is fine.

I'm sorry, but I'm sick of all the whining about school size. In 2000, we went to the championship game as one of the smallest 4A schools in Texas. I realize it makes a difference in the size of the talent pool, but not enough for some wacky re-alignment like this one. That re-districting would leave us with Bridge City as our only reasonably close rival. Silsbee would be the next closest. That totally ruins what high school football is supposed to be about - playing your neighbors, your neighboring school, your neighboring town, etc. Cross-town rivalries could be squashed with this crap.

You could still play either Orangefield, Hamshire-Fannett or Kirbyville as non-district. You would want to keep LCM, then it's either dropping Dayton or Bay City.

Here would be WO-S's travel numbers for that district:

To Silsbee - 40 miles

To Jasper - 66 miles

To Splendora - 101 miles

To Cleveland - 91 miles

To HJ - 44 miles

To Bridge City - 7 miles

That's a grand total of 349 miles between us and district away games. I realize that only about half would be away, but still - it's ridiculous. The current district is almost 100 fewer miles of travel.

And it's not as bad for us as it is for teams like LC-M. Look at their district! How could they be excited to play any of those teams when they've got all of these familiar foes in their own backyards?

I'm not worried about playing OF or HF. I'm worried about half of our games being against teams we have no connection with. District is supposed to be about familiar foes - deep-rooted "hatred." Splendora? Come on...

WO-S just beat a school with almost double its enrollment for the second straight year. Get over this enrollment thing, UIL. The current system is fine.

I agree.  It is just an attempt to have the weaker schools feel good because they "made" the playoffs. Kirbyville is one of the smallest 3A schools and is on the verge of being in the top 10.  How can this be since obviously they are just too small to even compete?    HF was dominant in the early 90s.  Orangefield had a run.  Hj has been to the playoffs recently.  BC has been there.  The potential is there.  If schools really want to compete, get those kids out there and have them buy into your program.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

Here would be WO-S's travel numbers for that district:

To Silsbee - 40 miles

To Jasper - 66 miles

To Splendora - 101 miles

To Cleveland - 91 miles

To HJ - 44 miles

To Bridge City - 7 miles

That's a grand total of 349 miles between us and district away games. I realize that only about half would be away, but still - it's ridiculous. The current district is almost 100 fewer miles of travel.

And it's not as bad for us as it is for teams like LC-M. Look at their district! How could they be excited to play any of those teams when they've got all of these familiar foes in their own backyards?

I'm not worried about playing OF or HF. I'm worried about half of our games being against teams we have no connection with. District is supposed to be about familiar foes - deep-rooted "hatred." Splendora? Come on...

There would be probably worst scenerios than this. Orangefield would have to travel to Shepherd and Coldspring. The west Texas teams would travel further.

Like I said before, the UIL claims they are doing it for fairness, but we all know the reason we have more playoff games and more state champions is to generate more money for the UIL, plain and simple.

Well, thats great WOS92 that WOS won in 2000 being one of the smallest 4A schools in texas, quite an accomplishment.  Lets face it though, you are fortunate to be a fan of WOS which is probably the only elite football program this area (there are a lot of good ones but not elite except maybe Newton).  I think its real easy to complain about the new realignment plan when you are an elite program and can play with anyone in size.  But try being a fan of a small school like Orangefield thats traditionally been a small 3A school for a long time and is now pretty much playing mostly old 4A teams now that moved down to 3A.  Half of the teams they played 10-20 years ago are now in 2A.  Most of the districts look totally different than they did 10 years ago so rivalries have already been effected for a while, so your rivalry argument is weak.  Since most teams have 2-4 non district games they could play their former district rivals then (like LCM and WOS).  Orangefield has no rivalry with any of these former 4A teams which is half the district now, i know you will say BC but they just moved down to 4A less than 10 years ago and didnt really play OF on a year to year basis till after 2000 to start a rivalry really.  And yeah, OF has made the playoffs since 2000, but WOS and Silsbee werent in the district yet.  I know Orangefield and some of these other small schools dont have traditional big teams, but you cant sit through a game with OF vs WOS or Silsbee or other big 3A schools and honestly say they should be playing in the same district/classification, the size difference between the kids of both schools is an obvious disadvantage.  If you just looked at the size of the schools and teams on the schedule, Orangefield looked a lot closer to EC and Buna in size on the field, and thats because they are close in enrollment.  The new realignment plan is totally fair for everyone.  WOS92, you pointed out in another post that the difference in travel between old and new districts is 100 miles or so.  If you average it out, thats only like 20 more miles on average more of travelling distance for 3-4 away games a season.  If you are going to "whine" about travelling a little further for 3-4 games a year, i think most people on this board like myself see that as sour grapes for a plan that gives many schools in this area and statewide a lot better chance to succeed against schools their own size and making more competitive balance.

I think if you going to have a big school and small school state champ from each classification, this realignment plan makes sense and is necessary.  In my opinion, if they dont realign the schools to make a true small school and big school districts for each classification, they should just do away with big and small school state champs in each class and have just one state champ for each class.  A good example of why: wasnt the 5A div II state champ bigger than the div I state champ in recent years?  The system now is just flawed, because the of the disparity in enrollments between districts creates some big schools getting in the playoffs as small schools and some small schools forced to play in the big school playoffs because the small enrollment #'s in their district.  Plus, many small schools are left out of the current playoffs that would normally make the playoffs if they played under the new realignment plan. 

I also think if they are gonna do this new realignment plan for football, they should extend it to baseball and basketball also.  Its hypocritical to say its unfair to small schools playing big schools only in football and change it and not do the same for other sports.  Because those same disadvantages for football, also exist in the other sports. 

What do yall think of my ideas, yall agree with me?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83