21-3A District Track Meet this week!

21-3A meet field events today

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — On a day when rain washed out the field events, District 21-3A did get in a little action on Tuesday.

Tracksters were able to compete in the preliminary running events which set up the running finals at 6 p.m. Friday.

The field events are scheduled to start up at 1 p.m. today at Orangefield High School.

One event was completed on Tuesday with the Bridge City track team picking up a few points in the boys and girls 3,200 meter run.

Bridge City’s Jessica Garza picked up a quick 10 points for her team after winning the 3,200 meters with a time of 12:53.28.

Hardin-Jefferson’s Paige Sermons placed second with a time of 13:11.84 and Bridge City’s Melissa Pittman placed third with a time of 13:58.98.

In the boy’s side Kirbyville’s Conner Fuller came in first with a time of 10:48.94.

Bridge City took second and third as Ryan Kelly was second at 10:58.85 and Tim Cude was third with a time of 11:11.92.

aye, thats tall dude from jasper, can beat Earl Thomas, i promise you that. That bad boy is fast...i had to race him last year... it was nuthin nice . that fool is quick on his feet boy...yea Terrance Avrant or sumthin.. anyway it goes that dude is State stuff... yea boyii

What the heck are you saying?????????????????

If you missed the track meet on Tuesday...you missed the race of the district.  Funny thing is...it was the JV 4 X200 meter relay.  Kudos to WO-S' boys who fell during the first handoff, stood for a couple of seconds (probably in shock), and then came back to win the race.  You four young men had everyone in the stands hollering and in awe at the same time.  Congrats to:  Hypolite, Woody, Chase, and James.  You guys did great and showed everyone what Mustangs are made of!!! ;) ;D ;)

Did anyone get video of it?

aye, thats tall dude from jasper, can beat Earl Thomas, i promise you that. That bad boy is fast...i had to race him last year... it was nuthin nice . that fool is quick on his feet boy...yea Terrance Avrant or sumthin.. anyway it goes that dude is State stuff... yea boyii

Hey there dude...guess what???

We'll be able to see who's faster Friday during the finals.  No need for trash talking!!! ;)

BC's Jaques wins three events at 21-3A meet

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — The great Michael Jordan would’ve been proud of Bridge City senior Christina Jaques Wednesday.

After all, Jaques poured in 30 points.

Wait a second though, Jaques scored her 30 in the District 21-3A Track & Field Championships.

The splendid four-sport Lady Cardinal standout captured three first-place finishes, winning the long jump, triple jump and high jump at Orangefield High School.

Jaques cleared a school-record in the long jump, ripping off a leap of 17 feet, 4 3/4 inches. She won the triple jump with a 35-8 1/4 effort and claimed the high jump by going five feet.

“I really felt good in the long jump after struggling in the high jump,†said Jaques, who has high jumped 5-6 this season. “I really wanted to make a statement by being more competitive in the long jump. The conditions were nice as far as the jumps today. I was fortunate enough to land a big one.â€

The 30 points were big as far as the Lady Cardinal team point total goes.

“The best thing about it was that I was able to help the team out,†Jaques said. “That’s what it is all about. We have such a good, well-rounded team and I really think we have a shot at the team championship. Hopefully this will get us off to a good start going into the running finals.â€

“Christina, what another phenomenal day for her,†said Lady Cardinal head coach Karen Bozeman. “She’s just an amazing athlete. She’s been battling an injury (quad) and she came out here and racked up 30 points. That’s a tough thing to do in any track meet and to be able to do that in a district meet, that’s shows how special she is.â€

West Orange-Stark senior Jacoby Franks stormed to both jumping titles on the boys side, winning the long jump by going a Southeast Texas area season-best of 22-8 and he claimed the triple jump with a leap of 43-8 3/4.

“I liked my chances today and I knew I was going to have to compete hard to get a regional spot,†Franks said. “There were so many tremendous jumpers here and it’s a wonderful feeling to come out and get the job done. I thought 22 feet would get me in but 22-8, I never really expected that. I really got up on that one and my speed was pretty good on my approach.â€

Mustang coach Toby Foreman knew Franks had it in him.

“Jacoby Franks, the best word to describe him is ‘competitor’, “ Foreman said. “He went 22 feet earlier in the year so we knew he had it in him. He goes at everything he does 100 percent, whether it’s football, baseball or track. Jacoby and Earl (Thomas) love competing against each other in everything. To have those two going at it in practice every day, that’s fun to watch.â€

Thomas earned a regional berth by placing third in the long jump with a mark of 21-5 3/4.

The tightest event of the day came in the boys shot put between two of the area’s finest in WO-S senior Adrian Mims and Silsbee’s Ahmad Jones, who had both tossed an area-best of 51-1 this season.

In the finals Jones captured first place with a superb heave of 51-7 1/4, just nipping Mims, who had a mark of 51-6. The two will meet again Apr. 27-28 at the Class 3A Region III Track & Field Championships at Humble High School.

“It was exciting and I thought I could pull it out,†Mims said. “Jones reached out there and got a big one too. I gave him best regards and we’ll be back at it again when regionals

come around. It was fun and I’m just glad to have an opportunity to get back to regionals.â€

Orangefield’s Justin Granger nabbed Orange County’s other first-place finish Wednesday, winning the discus with a toss of 126-8. Bridge City’s Chase Leger (6-0) and Orangefield’s Derek Evans (5-10) both advanced to regionals by placing second and third respectively in the high jump. Hardin-Jefferson’s Justin Anderson won the event by going 6-2. Orangefield’s Shea Mayo nabbed second in the pole vault by going 11-6.

On the girls side, WO-S senior Vanquanisha Jordan was second behind Jaques in the long jump with a 17-0 1/4 effort.

Other winners on the girls side Wednesday included Hamshire-Fannett’s Jalisa Harry in the discus (96-0) and Silsbee’s Sherry Wineland in the pole vault (9-6). Kirbyville’s Latoya Crawford led a 1-2-3 Lady Wildcat sweep in the shot put by tossing 33-1.

On Tuesday, Bridge City’s Erica Garza qualified for regional by winning the 3,200 meters in 12:53.28.

The District 21-3A running finals will begin at 5 p.m. Friday at Orangefield High School.

The District 22-4A Track & Field Championships will have its running finals today at 5 p.m.

What?  Bridge City with the two fastest guys in the district got beat out by Kirbyville in the 4x100?

are u serous Earl would have won the 100 easy lets get real.He's the fastest in district.

Where was "EARL" at Where was "PIERCE" at I'd like to know ??? ???

Maybe at BASEBALL practice... ;D ;D DID they fail classes ??? ??? If they are SOOOOO much faster why weren't they there  ??? ???

Oh and one more thing for whoever...

%7Boption%7D

Guest Sports Cards

Where was "EARL" at Where was "PIERCE" at I'd like to know ??? ???

Maybe at BASEBALL practice... ;D ;D DID they fail classes ??? ??? If they are SOOOOO much faster why weren't they there  ??? ???

Oh and one more thing for whoever...

%7Boption%7D

Earl is faster in the 100. The big question about Track meets is whether to put your studs in individual events, or double the points by stacking your relay teams. WOS usually stacks their relay teams. WOS took 1st in all three relay's.

The Bridge City coaches always do a great job of putting the kids in the right events to get the most points, 7 out of 8 District Championships say's a lot about the program. Congrats to new first year head Track man, Coach Robbins keeping the streak going.