Best Middle Infielder in SETX?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who says Murphy and Ferguson aren't the best middle infielders is either saying favorites from his/her own school, has not seen WB play, or is currently high

They are some of the better infielders in the area, there are others that are also worthy. This is just an opinion post that reflects individuals preferences, everyone has thier own favorites.

I am not going to dreide Murphy and Ferguson here, as they seenm to have a lot of votes...mine will be a "home" post...

Hearn from LCM is a proven commodity...he has adapted well to his new team, and is consistently a force to be reckoned with in 224A...

However...

Jon Gunn is one of those "whoa, where did he come from" talents.  In almost every game, balls hit anywhere close to him have been snagged, and a potential base hit denied to many a batter.  He as well, has been a consistent force at 2B for the Bears.  At the plate as well, he is one of the best 9 hole hitters in the district, if not in the area.

I am not going to dreide Murphy and Ferguson here, as they seenm to have a lot of votes...mine will be a "home" post...

Hearn from LCM is a proven commodity...he has adapted well to his new team, and is consistently a force to be reckoned with in 224A...

However...

Jon Gunn is one of those "whoa, where did he come from" talents.  In almost every game, balls hit anywhere close to him have been snagged, and a potential base hit denied to many a batter.  He as well, has been a consistent force at 2B for the Bears.  At the plate as well, he is one of the best 9 hole hitters in the district, if not in the area.

Don't get me wrong, Hearn is a great ballplayer, but you just simply can not compare him and Joe Gunn(best 9 hole hitter... what a compliment) to David Murphy and Tim Ferguson of West Brook. Two d1 signees that have a chance to play in the pros, with a professional scout popping in on the West Brook games every so often. This may be a biased opinion b/c I am from beaumont, but atleast it is a truthful opinion, and seems to be the most popular one around this year.

Are your saying that kids in 2A ball pitchs slower the kids in 5A ball....I don't think so.

A ground ball hit to the middle infield is a ground ball hit to the middle in field. Even if he does pitch alittle slower a ground ball is still a ground ball.

That is exactly what I am saying. The average pitch speed in 5a baseball is around 86-88 mph. If you can honestly tell me that pitchers in 2a come anywhere close to that, then I'll know that you are either blind or retartded. And by the way, a harder pitched baseball is going to be a harder hit baseball with more spin and decieving hops. Therefore. a ground ball is simply not a ground ball. I rest my case Dker.

the kids from westbrook are good..... but i think hearn, harrington, and gunn(lcm) are the best feilders i have seen yet and i'm not just saying that because i am from lcm but those two kids together are great........ i'm pretty sure though from what i have heard those guys from the smaller schools are legit.... and i would like to see them play

That is exactly what I am saying. The average pitch speed in 5a baseball is around 86-88 mph. If you can honestly tell me that pitchers in 2a come anywhere close to that, then I'll know that you are either blind or retartded. And by the way, a harder pitched baseball is going to be a harder hit baseball with more spin and decieving hops. Therefore. a ground ball is simply not a ground ball. I rest my case Dker.

Concerning 5a pitchers, the bigger the school the more talent you have to choose from.  But, a 5a school does not give you a 90mph fastball or a natural curve, a 90 mph fast ball is a GOD given ability.  So, it doesn't matter if you are 4a 3a or 2a if you got it, you got it!  There are several pitchers at different levels going to pitcher instructors & camps. I believe in giving credit, where credit is due.  I have seen two pitchers in 2a from Buna that can pitch at any level of high school.  If you don't beleive me you need to go watch them for yourself.  I believe their names are Hillin and Muckelroy.  I know that they are not facing 5a bats, but if you know anything about pitching mechanics, how a pitcher handles his self on the mound then you will agree with me.  I know this is about the middle infield and have seen alot of good duos, at every level.  I have not seen alot of duos that play well together that in the lower a schools.  Kountze does have a promising duo in the middle in 2a.  However, the two from Westbrook, just by where their going, speaks for themselves. Have a good day.

Thank you, like I said it doesn't matter what school if you are good you are good.

I have been watching baseball day in and day out for the past 20 years and more and know good ball players when I see them and so if you are from a small school and you have what it takes to go to the next level and so on, I wish you all the luck and sure hope that the scouts out there don't over look you just because you are not 5A  ;)

OK now that I don't have a dog in this race I will give my opinon since that is all any of us are doing......

Ferguson and Murphy from WB have been doing this for a few years now and are at the head of the class.....That is why Ole Miss and Houston offered them a shot.

Hearn-LCM not bad but needs to continue to grow as a player, has tremendous potential.

Gunn-LCM, this kid is just fun to watch he makes some really great plays and plays the game the way your suppose to with pure hustle and love....watch out for him in a year

VJ Bunner-Vidor, This is the rising star, I have heard nothing but great things about this kid, great arm and range all the tools and let's not forget he has Coach Gray to help him and that young man had a top notch glove.

Riley-Woodville, Another outstanding kid who has done this for a few years, going to Sam Houston but I believe it is as a pitcher.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder