MOST HIGHLY RECRUITED PLAYER IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS

Although I havn't seen Dishon play but once this yr. and hearing he has signed with LSU, it would be in his best intrest to also sign with a major JUCO and make his mind up in the off season. 

I'm not sure why it would be in Johnny's (or anyone else's) best interest to sign with a Junior College.  If the intent is to somehow preserve his draft status, then I think that it serves him no benefit to sign with a JUCO ('major' or not).  When the 'draft and follow' rule went out the window, he (assuming he is drafted) has to decide by Aug. 15th anyway.  This year's draft will be very different from prior years.  Although it'll still go 50 rounds, I think you'll see a lot of teams dropping out after 30-40 rounds since the Draft and Follow is gone.

If it is to stay 'available' for the draft every year, that puts a lot of eggs in the proverbial "I'll get drafted during/after my juco career is over".  That is probably a better option for pitchers than it is position players (e.g. Clay Bucholtz).  Leaving aside early round High Schoolers, I personally think your strongest negotiating position is after your 3rd year in college.

As far as Johnny Dishon goes, signing with LSU is his best option.  If the draft changes that, he can re-evaluate in June.

Have to disagree on a '5 tool player' if he was a 5 tool player he would go first rnd.Not many '5 tool players' in the minors much less HS and college. BTW unless things have changed since my son played JUCO they have 16 scholarships a yr.

First to adress the '5 tool player' you are correct the minors do have some '5 tool players' BUT not many TRUE 5 tool players, the one that comes to mind is Josh Hamilton (1st pk) who was a pitcher in HS with a + fastball and the other tools not many others have. From what I have been told by both MLB scouts and their crosscheckers, it depends on whos doing the rating. As far as signing with a major JUCO, I know for a fact if a highly rated player signs with a D1 only, it more or less says he's not signable and therefore most MLB clubs won't waste a pick on someone they think is not signable. Clubs have been burnt on this several times, another that comes to mind here is Beau Hale, he was drafted by the Yankees early and had signed with Texas but not a JUCO, there are others, I know for a FACT he was offered 100K and elected to hold out for more. I also know that the Yankee's boss told the scout doing the negot he wasn't getting a penny more and let him go to school, it worked out for Beau. There have been several players that have 'broke out' (my son) after there first yr in college, if at a D1 he's trapped till a Jr and lots can happen (and has) till he can go Pro. I get most of my info from being there. Most players and parents don't know a player can sign with both D1 and JUCO and that too is a fact as my son did in 98. As far as saying Dishon is better at LSU>>now what if he got drafted say in the first 5,6 rnds how many JUCO will have scholarships left in June, just because he signs with a JUCO dont mean he has to go, but its very good insurance. BTW if he's lucky enough to be drafted and elects to go to school and God forbid 'falls on his face', he can tell his kids he was a drafted player.  

First to adress the '5 tool player' you are correct the minors do have some '5 tool players' BUT not many TRUE 5 tool players, the one that comes to mind is Josh Hamilton (1st pk) who was a pitcher in HS with a + fastball and the other tools not many others have. From what I have been told by both MLB scouts and their crosscheckers, it depends on whos doing the rating. As far as signing with a major JUCO, I know for a fact if a highly rated player signs with a D1 only, it more or less says he's not signable and therefore most MLB clubs won't waste a pick on someone they think is not signable. Clubs have been burnt on this several times, another that comes to mind here is Beau Hale, he was drafted by the Yankees early and had signed with Texas but not a JUCO, there are others, I know for a FACT he was offered 100K and elected to hold out for more. I also know that the Yankee's boss told the scout doing the negot he wasn't getting a penny more and let him go to school, it worked out for Beau. There have been several players that have 'broke out' (my son) after there first yr in college, if at a D1 he's trapped till a Jr and lots can happen (and has) till he can go Pro. I get most of my info from being there. Most players and parents don't know a player can sign with both D1 and JUCO and that too is a fact as my son did in 98. As far as saying Dishon is better at LSU>>now what if he got drafted say in the first 5,6 rnds how many JUCO will have scholarships left in June, just because he signs with a JUCO dont mean he has to go, but its very good insurance. BTW if he's lucky enough to be drafted and elects to go to school and God forbid 'falls on his face', he can tell his kids he was a drafted player.  

Given the low % of kids who actually make the majors, I don't see how a kid is 'trapped' at a prominent 4 year school.  If Dishon (or anyone else) decides in the summer to go JUCO because their pro shot is so 'good', I think he'll find a JUCO to take him.  Finally, I don't think NOT signing with a JUCO hurt Bruce...he signed with Tulane, did not sign with a JUCO and then signed for nearly $2,000,000.  'Nuff said.

Why do you think that Schooling, Calhoun and Hargrave have not recieved any offers from anyone???

That is a good question and has (probably) several answers.

One may have something to do with exposure.  In today's world, you have to go to them, not the other way around, unless you are 'off the charts' special.  Throw a 95 mph fastball and they'll find you.

Second, it is a hard time of the year to be recruited.  Most colleges are in the middle of their conference season and their time is more limited.  You will see a fair number of people signed as the HS and college season winds down and after the draft (college loses a junior to the draft and, all of the sudden, that school has more money to offer).

Third, you have to look at the player.  Schooling, for example, is an extremely productive HS pitcher but may not have the velocity that draws a lot of interest from D-1 programs.  A very productive HS player may be just that...but not project out at the next or higher level.  I think Schooling and Calhoun will play somewhere after HS, I just don't know at what level.  I really don't know enough about Hargrave to comment beyond he is a good high school catcher.  That's not a knock...its just evidence of my lack of information.

To adress a cpl of points here, I agree on the exposure, as I posted on the 'best CF thread', "if a woman wanted to get preg, without exposure its not gonna happen" unless as you said of a guy with a 95mph arm. Lots of other players get noticed when a scout comes to see a peticular kid play and just because your team sucks >as has been said here, don't mean squat as they don't care about the team, score or your record just the players. I do know of several instances where this very thing happened, one of which was a game where 50+ MLB scouts, crosscheckers and even a few teams GMs came to watch the 'best hitter in JUCO' >Albert Pujols< hit in a JUCO playoff game and what they saw was him go 0-4 with 3Ks, just so happened the freshman throwing was my boy, they also saw my sons catcher hit 2 bombs which brought him within 1hr of the JUCO record which he broke a week later in the JUCO World series. BTW the kid playing first base on my sons team is now the coach for HF who also hit a cpl of BIG flys in the series. I have said before you never know who is in the stands. In my previous post I refered to being trapped in a D1. I was refering to a kid 'breaking out' after his first yr which many do with a better program, then what, he's trapped. I wasn't refering to a 1st, thru 4th rnd pick and your right about Bruce but him signing with Tulane was a great bargaining tool as is someone 5th rnd on, signing with both. There are MANY players that are projected to go in the early rounds that the MLB scouts steer away from because of thinking they are 'unsignable' You had mentioned "finding a JUCO to take him" if he were to sign with both (as he can) he can pick his JC and not have to find a place. This one thing could mean getting drafted of not. Another point is say a kid is drafted high and can't come to terms on a contract he can go to a JUCO and hopefully improve 'his stock' and sign before the next draft, not so going into a D1 or 2 as he's 'trapped'. Seems as if lots of people are misinformed about JUCO and consider them Sub to a D1. There are several JUCOs that are baseball factories and if you check where the D1 and 'Pro' players come from there are many in MAJOR D1s and in the 'pros' that came from JUCOs. I havn't checked the background of Lamars players but I'm sure more than a few came from JUCOs.   

Being recruited more highly by a college does not necessarily mean that you are the best at your position.

Athletes are signed to scholarships on what the recruiters think their potential is, not how good of a high school athlete they are. You could be the best high school athlete at your position in the area and not be recruited above someone else to a major college.

The same is true from college to the pros.

TVC184 you are correct, all are looked at acording to potential or projected growth. I do know they look at things you wouldn't think of including parents size (frame), shaving, among other things. The oddest thing I thought (at the time) was told to me by a local scout for the Rangers was a pitchers trunk (butte).   

TVC184 you are correct, all are looked at acording to potential or projected growth. I do know they look at things you wouldn't think of including parents size (frame), shaving, among other things. The oddest thing I thought (at the time) was told to me by a local scout for the Rangers was a pitchers trunk (butte).   

That is funny you say that. Because, I have heard the same thing about the size of your rearend.  They look how much power you can project from you lower body potentially.

Why do you think that Schooling, Calhoun and Hargrave have not recieved any offers from anyone???

I have never watched Schooling play,  but I have heard he is pretty good.  How hard does he throw and does he strikeoout very many batters.  If he is not a high strikeout pitcher and uses his defense more.  Then he will probably not be very highly recruited.  If your stikeout totals are not very high in high school. Regardless of your ERA are   winning %.  You probably want be very good in college.  If you are a ground ball pitcher in high school you will be knocked around in college.

By asking how hard he throws, I mean what does he pitch at not the fastest he can throw.   Just because you throw 90mph 1 time in a game.  Does not mean you throw 90 mph.  It probably means you pitch more like 86-87 on a consistant bases. Scouts look at how consistant you throw at what speed. Also what grade is the kid in?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw