I can admit I was wrong

CardinalBacker

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:
12 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Don’t feel bad.  A lot of us would have lost money betting against it.  19 seniors, 18 starters?  Back to state?  Get the heck outta here.  Oh wait...

I don’t deny WOS has some great athletes, but they are not even a large school anymore for their classification.  They have lost a ton of kids who moved out (there were a few LCM Bears this year that would have been gangbusters at WOS as well).  What they have is one of the greatest defensive minds this state has ever seen and parents who trust the coaches to do their jobs.  They outwork and outprepare virtually everyone (again coaching), and believe it or not millennials, that is still a recipe for success.  

And while Coach T couldn’t go to High Island and win state or send a kid to Saban or the Seahawks, what he could do is make almost any team, anywhere better.  And there are a lot of schools (one or two even in this area) that have very good programs that he would push to the next level IMO (I.e., state).  Lucky for the Mustang faithful, Coach T learned home is where the heart is and will retire one day as yet another Texas High School coaching legend from the fruit city...

There is no denying.  My point is simply this...he might go to High Island and turn a 5.5 second 40 into a 5.0 second 40... but a 5.0 second 40 is still not fast enough.  And he may turn a 140lb bench press into a 180lb bench press...but that's still weak.  So yeah he might make them better given enough time and community support, but there will be no state championships.  

I'll choose to differ here.  Knowing the coach that he is, he could possibly win a Title on "that" level.  Plus, winning a Title is not about how many one sends to college.  Coaches that gets their kids to play above their level may not be college material. 

15 hours ago, Reagan said:

Very interesting!  From the article: " Carthage ISD raised local property taxes, slashed most teacher benefits, packed students in classrooms, and cut 32.5 teaching, security, transportation and administrative positions."  BUT -- gave the HC a $20,000 raise.  Come on supporters of this type of action, help us understand this!

Also, they cut the one man ISD police department. A good guy lost his job while other's got a pay raise. It was a sad situation.

3 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Just stating a fact as I see it. 

The dude has ran the program for 1 year. He pulled an upset against the Indians at MCM, pushed a Manvel team, who I think is playing for a SC, and you still out here trying to stir the pot. You are just a hater. You have no legit questions or comments. You been sitting here taking subtle shots a man who has had the reigns for 1 year, and by honest unbiased accounts has done better than expected to this point. As the previous Nederland fan posted, I would be willing to bet you were not at the Manvel game. If you were, you would realized Nederland was significantly out manned. Like I said, you are just a Monte hater. The only time you are on here posting is talking ignorant mess about Nederland coaches. 

11 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I'll choose to differ here.  Knowing the coach that he is, he could possibly win a Title on "that" level.  Plus, winning a Title is not about how many one sends to college.  Coaches that gets their kids to play above their level may not be college material. 

Hate to break it to you...but I could list dozens of schools in this area alone that he could NOT win a title at.  Ever.  No matter how long he was there.

And I know that winning titles is not about how many one sends to college...but the fact that he has kids get sent to big time football programs has more to do with their success than just good coaching.  A coach CAN NOT turn a small, slow, and weak kid into a D1 player.  Sometimes it's not physically possible.  But on the contrary...a potential D1 athlete will turn an average coach into a great coach.  I'm not by any means saying that this is what happened...but that's the way it happens more often than not. 

4 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

The dude has ran the program for 1 year. He pulled an upset against the Indians at MCM, pushed a Manvel team, who I think is playing for a SC, and you still out here trying to stir the pot. You are just a hater. You have no legit questions or comments. You been sitting here taking subtle shots a man who has had the reigns for 1 year, and by honest unbiased accounts has done better than expected to this point. As the previous Nederland fan posted, I would be willing to bet you were not at the Manvel game. If you were, you would realized Nederland was significantly out manned. Like I said, you are just a Monte hater. The only time you are on here posting is talking ignorant mess about Nederland coaches. 

Again, no shots.  Stating facts.  Again, no one in this district compares (yet) with the 4 coaches I mentioned. 

5 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

The 4 coaches you named wouldn't look at Nederland twice. They ain't taking that job. Ya'll lucky to have Monte. 

Only a 'what if" situation.  These coaches have won Titles.  The original point I made was a response to the talent level at Nederland and could one of these 4 coaches have put Nederland in the Title Game.  I say it's possible. 

8 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Again, no shots.  Stating facts.  Again, no one in this district compares (yet) with the 4 coaches I mentioned. 

What facts are you stating? That those coaches have Titles? That is the only fact you can come up with.. the rest "mere speculation". You obviously haven't been to a 5A SC game lately. With what Nederland had this year, no, none of the 4 coaches you mentioned would have gotten them a Title. Were you at the Manvel game? Who is the last 5A team you have seen play at a SC? Outside of 22/21 5A, what teams have you watched play? You have no clue. Just a hater. You're boy didn't get the job, get over it, or move on out. Community members like you, who have no clue, are what brings programs down.

21 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

What facts are you stating? That those coaches have Titles? That is the only fact you can come up with.. the rest "mere speculation". You obviously haven't been to a 5A SC game lately. With what Nederland had this year, no, none of the 4 coaches you mentioned would have gotten them a Title. Were you at the Manvel game? Who is the last 5A team you have seen play at a SC? Outside of 22/21 5A, what teams have you watched play? You have no clue. Just a hater. You're boy didn't get the job, get over it, or move on out. Community members like you, who have no clue, are what brings programs down.

Nuff said there!

8 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

That dang Tigers2010 is always trying to bring levelheadedness and reason into threads on this site.   Personally, I’m getting tired of it :D   

Some of the topics, like what is being discussed as a "real job", I stay out of. Not worth the headache. However, there is a difference between an opinion and an agenda. CardinalBacker has an opinion (which I disagree with). That other guy has an agenda. He has been stirring the Monte pot since before he got hired, and it is obvious he knows nothing about modern day football programs across the state.  But thanks for the compliment. I try to post as if people knew who I was.  Fair and balanced, like FoxNews.

6 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Some of the topics, like what is being discussed as a "real job", I stay out of. Not worth the headache. However, there is a difference between an opinion and an agenda. CardinalBacker has an opinion (which I disagree with). That other guy has an agenda. He has been stirring the Monte pot since before he got hired, and it is obvious he knows nothing about modern day football programs across the state.  But thanks for the compliment. I try to post as if people knew who I was.  Fair and balanced, like FoxNews.

Uh Oh...you just lost Hoops...lol.

1 hour ago, Tigers2010 said:

Explain your expertise!  Also, you constantly bring up the Manvel game.  Do you feel Nederland lost because of coaching or the athletes?

On 12/19/2017 at 10:49 AM, CardinalBacker said:

In 2015 when the question was asked, “can WOS return to the state championship game,” I said no. 

Before this season started I again answered the same question with “no,” based on the number of talented kids that were lost to graduation. 

Once more I have underestimated the Mustangs, and I stand corrected.

pretty impressive backer all you do is admit you wrong and get a 3 page discussion - lol

17 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Explain your expertise!  Also, you constantly bring up the Manvel game.  Do you feel Nederland lost because of coaching or the athletes?

Nederland lost to Manvel because Manvel is very very good. Which is why they are playing in a SC this week. They had significantly better players than Nederland, even those who support Nederland would tell you that. It is not hard to see. Once again, I will bet you haven't seen any team outside of 22/21 5A play in the last five years. Your reference to PNG in the 70's is laughable. Football and players and coaches are far and beyone what they were almost 50 years ago. 

I can't/won't continue with a troll, and you sir, are just that. Take a drive to AT&T, hell or just watch the games on TV, and come back and tell me your assessment of the athletes playing this week, and Nederland. Troll.

13 minutes ago, Tigers2010 said:

Nederland lost to Manvel because Manvel is very very good. Which is why they are playing in a SC this week. They had significantly better players than Nederland, even those who support Nederland would tell you that. It is not hard to see. Once again, I will bet you haven't seen any team outside of 22/21 5A play in the last five years. Your reference to PNG in the 70's is laughable. Football and players and coaches are far and beyone what they were almost 50 years ago. 

I can't/won't continue with a troll, and you sir, are just that. Take a drive to AT&T, hell or just watch the games on TV, and come back and tell me your assessment of the athletes playing this week, and Nederland. Troll.

So, #1: You blame the kids.  #2: You have no expertise in this area.  Nuff said!  BTW, I did watch Aledo last year.  And the athletes they had appeared to be no better than Nederland's and PN-G's.  I've strung you along long enough.  I'll let you off the hook.  You joke about Doug Ethridge.  Let me assure you I know excellent coaches when I see them!  SMILEY027.gif