LC-M's Sonnier and Greer headed to state

LC-M's Sonnier and Greer headed to state

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Going that extra mile has paid off for Little Cypress-Mauriceville senior powerlifters Chris Sonnier and Kevin Greer.

Both Bear athletes have dominated their respective weight classes all season long and with that type of effort, they qualified for the Class 4A State Powerlifting Meet for the second straight year, which will be held at the Aldine High School Athletic Complex March 24.

Sonnier has been a “monster†in ruling the 114-pound weight division throughout the year while Greer has been a “machine†in the 132-pound class.

“Each one of them are such special kids,†said LC-M powerlifting coach Brian Waguespack. “Powerlifting is a sport that you have to be motivated to do and both of them certainly have that.â€

Sonnier ruled the roost at the 4A Region III Meet last week, totaling 1,040 pounds. Sonnier set new regional standards in the squat (415 pounds), dead-lift (440 pounds) and total weight.

“It’s been a great season so far,†Sonnier said. “It’s been fun winning at all the meets. I’ve been really trying to improve hard this year after finishing second at state last year. It motivates me all the time.â€

The young man that nipped Sonnier last year, Donna’s Robbie Nieto, is back in the mix this year.

“He (Nieto) is a tremendous lifter and I’m really pushing myself to get past him this year,†Sonnier said. “Medaling at state is nice, but I sure want to win the gold one this time.â€

“It all comes pretty natural to Chris,†Waguespack said. “He has so much power in that little body and he continues to amaze me week after week.â€

Greer has pushed himself to the limit in the 132-pound division, especially at regionals last week. He was sitting in fourth-place after the bench press and the squat with just the top two individuals qualifying for state. He then hit his favorite venue, the dead-lift, and hauled up a personal-best 460 pounds to vault himself all the way up to first place.

“I knew I had to have a big lift and I was able to pull it off,†Greer said. “The dead-lift is my best one and the squat is a close second. It’s just a terrific feeling to head back to state. I really want to bring home a medal.â€

Greer ranks in the top four heading to state with only 20 pounds separating the quartet.

“Kevin really dug down deep at regionals,†Waguespack said. “Kevin always has that little extra because of his work ethic. I’m thrilled to be coaching those two guys.â€

Sonnier’s bests this year includes 215 pounds on the bench, 415 pounds on the squat and a 440-pound dead-lift. Greer’s bests include 460 pounds with the dead-lift, 385 pounds on the squat and 235 pounds on the bench.

So what motivates the two young men, both with very little body fat if any at all, to constantly hit the weight room in a sport that can be demanding.

“It sure isn’t easy, but I’ve been doing it for four years and it’s been a whole lot of fun,†Sonnier said. “I got involved in gymnastics when I was about 6 and I’ve always been pretty strong since then and it does come natural to me a little bit. I tried other sports, like baseball, and I struggled with a little. And, of course, I’m too small for football. Powerlifting is the sport for me.â€

“It’s a demanding sport,†Greer said. “But nothing beats the feeling of when you’re able to put a medal around your neck. Chris and I have picked up quite a few but we have our sights set on two more and hopefully they’re gold.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder