SFA 73 Lady Cardinals 65

Now that the Lady Cards lost in the 1st round, does this fuel the flame to aggressively hire a new coach or seriously give the present coach a good chance to remain as head coach?  I think the athletic committee has to seriously take a look at how the team responsed to Coach Eaton. Or do you take new directions and a possible step back in your program for a year or two?

What they should do is aggressively find the best qualified coach.  There are a lot of good coaches that will want that job.  I keep hearing noise about the current OF coach.  Are you kidding? That would basically prove that they just wanna fill a spot with a warm body, not go after the best coach available. I think she would be an upgrade from what was there, but to say she is the best out there would not be close to the case.  Sure she won a lot of games at OF but anyone else would have won with the kids they have had the previous 4 years.  Look at what OF did in close games.  Not very well, including the last game of this season. The girls and the college deserves the very best they can get.  If at the end of the day, a HS coach is it, then so be it.

What they should do is aggressively find the best qualified coach.  There are a lot of good coaches that will want that job.  I keep hearing noise about the current OF coach.  Are you kidding? That would basically prove that they just wanna fill a spot with a warm body, not go after the best coach available. I think she would be an upgrade from what was there, but to say she is the best out there would not be close to the case.  Sure she won a lot of games at OF but anyone else would have won with the kids they have had the previous 4 years.  Look at what OF did in close games.  Not very well, including the last game of this season. The girls and the college deserves the very best they can get.  If at the end of the day, a HS coach is it, then so be it.

Oh, you know it all--don't you?  Five players foul out in the regional tourney and they still somehow manage to get the game to overtime???  WHATEVER!!  I'm sure YOU would have done a much better job, but you probably always think you would.  It's really funny how ignorant some OF people are!!  FUBAR--I say good luck to LU and hope they find the right person for that position--if they can find ANYONE that wants it!!

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."  THEODORE ROOSEVELT

Guest bleed orange

Hey, you stole my quote. Just kidding. I good friend of mine(Bradley Peveto) gave me a plaque with those words on it when he got married. I read it to this day. You forget to give the title, " The Man In The Arena". :)

Are you kidding me buddy...is this a joke. You must be one of those arrogant Orangefield parents that are still living in the Little Dribblers past. Hey we won a National Championship in Little Dribblers yeah!!!!...more like a state championship since only Texas teams were there. Hey there you go, you already won your state championship back then. Give me a freaking break. I feel for Coach A over their in Orangefield, she works her butt off and then has to put up with crap like this all the time. Mostly from people like this joker above. Forget about all the stuff she did for those kids the past four years, all the film she studied till late in the night every night, and the discipline she instilled in each one of them. But I'm sure you could have done a better job buddy, or atleast you could have been a warm body to fill the position.

Lamar U. needs Al Barbe back for women's basketball....oops we tried that with Billy Tubbs already. Seriously, its time for Lamar to get serious and try and get the best available coach for the program.  I don't think you can say the OF coach is one of the best , just because she has had good teams in Orangefield the past four years or so. Will she be able to recruit quality players to compete at the Division-1 level?  Maybe or maybe not!

Guest bleed orange

I am torn about the whole situation. If she was to get the job at Lamar, me and my daughter would be happy for her. She can't pass up an oppurtunity like this. On the flip side I have an daughter that will be a senior next year. She is not taking it so well. Its hard to get good coaches at a 3A school. Orangefield has only had two good coaches in the last 32 years. One of them the parents ran off. People can say what they want but coaching in this day and time is difficult and so is being a teacher. Coach A coaches like the one they ran off and that is why she is successful. Talent helps but there is more to the big picture than talent. By the way the coach the parents ran off was well respected not only in the coaching profession but by the young ladies that played for him.

I feel for the Orangefield athletic department if they loose such a wonderful coach and teacher.  It is not often that a school has a good role model and coach for the young people of today.  Society puts such pressure on coaches to "FULLFILL" all the parents expectations that parents often loose focus on what is truly important.  THE KIDS!!  In the big picture we are not making good ball players we are molding GOOD PEOPLE!  Through sports many of lifes lessons are taught.  When coached appropiately they learn both the sport and about LIFE!  I would hope that what ever coaching role Coach A chooses, she continues to MOLD YOUNG ADULTS to be better people.  May GOD bless her in future career.

:)

I feel for the Orangefield athletic department if they loose such a wonderful coach and teacher.  It is not often that a school has a good role model and coach for the young people of today.  Society puts such pressure on coaches to "FULLFILL" all the parents expectations that parents often loose focus on what is truly important.  THE KIDS!!  In the big picture we are not making good ball players we are molding GOOD PEOPLE!  Through sports many of lifes lessons are taught.  When coached appropiately they learn both the sport and about LIFE!  I would hope that what ever coaching role Coach A chooses, she continues to MOLD YOUNG ADULTS to be better people.  May GOD bless her in future career.

:)

Good post HHS13!!  Welcome to this board!! ;)

First of all, some of you people should read what was said. If Lamar goes through all the proper steps to get the best coach they can, and it is coach a, then so be it. I have watched every girls game there for the past 5 years, so I am virtually certain I can give an educated opinion on this subject. I can speak for several that played for her, Almost all of them wanted to go on and play in college before they played for her, now none of them even want to discuss it, why is that oh wise one? Because none of them love the game anymore. If that makes me arrogant, then so be it. I hear people compare her to long time coach at OF bill T. He sent kids almost every year on to play in college. Most of them not nearly as talented as the group that has been there for the last several years. If you want to argue with the facts of my comments, feel free. But, if my stating an opinion that is differet from yours drives you to comment about arrogance at OF. Or my abilities as a coach then obviously, your opinion wont register as one that is worth commenting on.

First of all, some of you people should read what was said. If Lamar goes through all the proper steps to get the best coach they can, and it is coach a, then so be it. I have watched every girls game there for the past 5 years, so I am virtually certain I can give an educated opinion on this subject. I can speak for several that played for her, Almost all of them wanted to go on and play in college before they played for her, now none of them even want to discuss it, why is that oh wise one? Because none of them love the game anymore. If that makes me arrogant, then so be it. I hear people compare her to long time coach at OF bill T. He sent kids almost every year on to play in college. Most of them not nearly as talented as the group that has been there for the last several years. If you want to argue with the facts of my comments, feel free. But, if my stating an opinion that is differet from yours drives you to comment about arrogance at OF. Or my abilities as a coach then obviously, your opinion wont register as one that is worth commenting on.

Obviously your the wise one...you know so much about the situation. Tell us why the girls don't love the game anymore. Is it because Coach A ran practices like a college practices and she was to hard on the girls? Maybe it's because they've been playing the game since they were like 6 or 7 and are just flat tired of playing. I think that has a lot to do with it...burnout. And just how many girls on this past years team do you think would even have a shot at playing in college...maybe the Sanders girl and that's it. Give me a break!!! And as far as Coach Tennison goes, his girls worked hard for him. They out worked teams. He was a great motivator, but not a very good x's and o's coach. I love the man, but coach A would coach circles around him and he'll be the first to tell you that. And if you know so much, can you give me a list of all those girls he sent on to college? I may be wrong, but I can only think of two...Barbara Hickey and Coach A!!!

Wow bobcat4life--you sure have a funny way of showing your allegiance to the bobcats!  I don't know what deep-seeded issues you have with that coach, but it seems to me you need to get past them.  If it's been such a bad situation, what have you done?  You say you've watched, but have you said anything?  I have no respect for someone who sits and chatters while doing nothing.  The respect goes to those in the positions of DOING, not SAYING.  Maybe you could have and would have done a much better job--but since it wasn't yours to do, probably the best thing is to let it go.  Good luck with moving on with your life as I wish my lady cards the best in moving on with theirs.  And quite frankly, I'd like to save this coach from your bashing and give her a shot at a real job!

LOL, some of you people amaze me.  If you think that is bashing, then you don't know what bashing is. First of all, I think Coach A is one of the top 2 or 3 HIGH SCHOOL coaches around here.  She has done a fantastic job teaching them defense.  Her work ethic is outstanding, and she wants to win as much or more than anyone.  I wasn't and never intended for anyone to feel that I was bashing her personally.  What I said was that she MIGHT not be the best person for the Lamar job, but.. if she was, then congratulations.  Drake wasn't the best person for the job.  The fact of the matter is that virtually no high school girls basketball coaches around here are worth a flip.  Al Barber coached boys, not girls, in high school.  Now as far as the kids that Coach T helped receive scholarships for, not all of them played, but had the opportunity; Becky Tennison, Cheryl Peveto, Tuki Evans, Gunstream, Una Fletcher, Coach A, Barbara Hickey, Miranda ? I know there were more, but I can't remember them all.

As far as a "deep seated resentment" I harbor zero. I was just stating the facts as I saw them.  As far as kids that could have played in college obviously you don't realize some of the people that get scholarships.  There are 3 divisions of college.  I don't think any of the kids in the previous few years could have played at a high level division one school.  I do however feel that several could have played div. 2 or 3, including 3 off of this years team that were seniors if they had the initiative to do it. As far as burnout goes, I have had the opportunity over the last few years to coach B. Scott, B. James, J. Henderson, C. Pickering, C Wilson, M. Carmen.  ALL of those kids have played basketball since an early age.  Why aren't they burnt out?  Also, ALL of those kids either are, or will play in div 1 schools. Oviously, there is a lot of talent in that group. The OF kids had exactly the same opportunity to play AAU on those teams, but didn't want to.  One of the kids commented to me, "I haven't had fun playing basketball since before high school" now you tell me what is going on? The truth is that it is inherent in good coaches to motivate kids to get better.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86