Players quitting High School Athletics

SEWatchdogTX

15 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Think this is a silly topic.

Players quit all the time at all schools. Nothing new here. Move along.

(me thinks the author of this thread has a quitter in his/her household)

Pretty silly indeed. Coach Babin is about as quality a coach as Lumberton can ever hope to get. Everyone got all excited last year when they finally made the playoffs again. Anyone actually around Raider's athletics would know that was a special graduating class. They come and go with a school this size. Babin will utilize what he has year to year and adapt. The team this year was a very competitive and hard working bunch. Be proud of your kids and team and support it. If not, move along. If junior isn't starting, it's probably because he's not good enough. There's no crime in that. The dedication, drive, and commitment you get from high school athletics will serve any kid well in his or her future occupation believe me.

It's funny how everyone takes a comment in a different direction.  Not one post criticized the coach or the program, yet everyone felt the need to defend it.  The question was simple there are some good quality athletes varsity starters leaving the athletic program along with some top athletes on JV, Freshman and in 8th grade was wondering what was going on.  My thought was that Babin and his new coaches were standing ground against some overly involved whiny parents of the entitled kids 

Who cares about an 8th grader quitting a sport? Middle school kids stop playing football all the time. That should be for the Youth Sports thread. Freshman, realizing next level football is not for them, happens all the time. Now for varsity, who knows. I would assume there were disagreements with the coach. Coaches usually win those.

This is such a great topic.

Figuring out why kids quit athletics, there is only one reason. Because, mommy and daddy let them.

I will agree that you are either cut out for football or you are not. Not a whole bunch of in between, and that is what off-season is for, to determine who has what it takes.

On the flip side, I hate these run-oriented coaches who say I would throw the ball more if I just had the kids. See Barbers Hill as the prime example, if you commit to throwing it, the kids will show up.

The bottom line is, if it is not fun then a lot of kids are going to quit. Lots of other options out there for little Johnny.