Cops and Black Males

CraigS

This a Facebook post I thought I'd share.

This will be a long post but just stay with me. I want to share the perspective from a girlfriend and one day a wife to a black male:

You all post about how your husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, brother, sister, son, daughter, and other loved ones are cops. Although I am extremely grateful to have such awesome people serve our communities I also want to state that it was a CHOICE to follow that career path. I do indeed know that these men and women are brave and very needed. However, it was a CHOICE. And though my boyfriend chooses to serve the community in a different way - an educator, coach, and mentor, my loved one did NOT get to make a CHOICE about the color of his skin. Your loved one can come home and easily take off the uniform, the badge, and all identification of being a police officer. Mine cannot take off the color of his skin. You hate that that they get criticized by doing their job but my boyfriend is criticized for the color of his skin. He did not have a choice. No, all cops are not bad cops, like all people are not bad people BUT racism is very much so alive in our society. You may fear for their lives as they leave the house with that uniform on but i fear for my loved one because he has NO CHOICE but to proudly walk in his beautiful skin day in and day out. So as I am considerate to your feelings, please remember that not all black people are wanting revenge on your loved ones and to be kind to those who are not rioting about these situations. Do not assume that my boyfriend is a bad human being because that is what you see throughout the media. Racism is radiating across the country but remember; not all cops are bad cops and not all black people are out for revenge.

Now that several have read this, I'll say...This is my daughters FB post. Her "loved one" is a football player at SHSU. He graduated in 3 years, and will have his masters by the time his scholarship is up. He is the most well spoken, nicest, smart, respectful and caring human being one could ever meet.

Some of you may remember me stating on this site - I am against interracial relations, due to cultural differences. The unnecessary hardships brought on by society. A generation of children (biracial children) that doesn't seem to "fit" on either "side".

Whereas, I can't and won't pretend to understand the racial hardships that minorities face daily, I am very aware that they exist. I can admit, that as a parent (especially of a daughter) I wasn't very receptive to having my daughter bring these "hardships" into her life, our family.......life and relationships are difficult enough.

Once she told me of her choice, (they've  been dating for 2 years) I decided, I at least need to meet the guy. I at least needed to know the person dating my daughter. I can also admit my fear...not of him as a person, not of his skin color (I have several friends of color that I'd give my life for) but of the hardships in society that are spoke of in the FB post....I asked myself....why? why would anyone WANT to invite these difficulties into their life. The answer was simple...it was a hardship most of us would endure for anyone they care about...it doesn't matter what they are or why you find yourself in these situations....you will stand with them regardless.

My daughter taught me a lot about life....not just having friends of different races or backgrounds...but of truly excepting, loving and caring about another human being.

With that said....let's not forget that in the frenzy of hatred being portrayed on TV are but a few in comparison to the many who are NOT at these "protest" that are in their homes or at their jobs worried, upset and grieving the loss of the innocent.

May God bless everyone in these trying times.

1 hour ago, CraigS said:

Now that several have read this, I'll say...This is my daughters FB post. Her "loved one" is a football player at SHSU. He graduated in 3 years, and will have his masters by the time his scholarship is up. He is the most well spoken, nicest, smart, respectful and caring human being one could ever meet.

Some of you may remember me stating on this site - I am against interracial relations, due to cultural differences. The unnecessary hardships brought on by society. A generation of children (biracial children) that doesn't seem to "fit" on either "side".

Whereas, I can't and won't pretend to understand the racial hardships that minorities face daily, I am very aware that they exist. I can admit, that as a parent (especially of a daughter) I wasn't very receptive to having my daughter bring these "hardships" into her life, our family.......life and relationships are difficult enough.

Once she told me of her choice, (they've  been dating for 2 years) I decided, I at least need to meet the guy. I at least needed to know the person dating my daughter. I can also admit my fear...not of him as a person, not of his skin color (I have several friends of color that I'd give my life for) but of the hardships in society that are spoke of in the FB post....I asked myself....why? why would anyone WANT to invite these difficulties into their life. The answer was simple...it was a hardship most of us would endure for anyone they care about...it doesn't matter what they are or why you find yourself in these situations....you will stand with them regardless.

My daughter taught me a lot about life....not just having friends of different races or backgrounds...but of truly excepting, loving and caring about another human being.

With that said....let's not forget that in the frenzy of hatred being portrayed on TV are but a few in comparison to the many who are NOT at these "protest" that are in their homes or at their jobs worried, upset and grieving the loss of the innocent.

May God bless everyone in these trying times.

Whew, I'm glad I misread this post. I was beginning to think CraigS was a woman. :)

9 hours ago, 77 said:

Always has been racism and always will be sorry but thats just the way it will be and there will always be white trash and black trash we just have to unite with folks of like mind and avoid the haters! 

Exactly what me and a black friend of mine use to talk about.  It shouldn't be black against white, it should be good against bad.  I've seen more than my share of white trash.  And between the meth and crack, people's lives are turned inside out, and they do what they have to to get their next fix.  Rob a store.  Rob your house.  Rob you.  Add them to your regular bad person, and those who for whatever reason are racist, and the good guys are under siege.

Whhen I was a youngster and we wanted BBQ, we always went to a place in Beaumont called Dean's (absolutely, hands down, the best I've ever ate).  I still remember a sign inside - Let's live together and love one another!   A dream that is ageless.

7 hours ago, REBgp said:

Exactly what me and a black friend of mine use to talk about.  It shouldn't be black against white, it should be good against bad.  I've seen more than my share of white trash.  And between the meth and crack, people's lives are turned inside out, and they do what they have to to get their next fix.  Rob a store.  Rob your house.  Rob you.  Add them to your regular bad person, and those who for whatever reason are racist, and the good guys are under siege.

Whhen I was a youngster and we wanted BBQ, we always went to a place in Beaumont called Dean's (absolutely, hands down, the best I've ever ate).  I still remember a sign inside - Let's live together and love one another!   A dream that is ageless.

Yes, the point is......we all have a "fear" of the unknown, difference, change, etc....Whether it's the police that say they have "fear" or the black man saying they have "fear" - it's true and it's real.

All this BS media, presidential, talk when jumping to conclusions is in the most part causing all this FEAR between us. It has been said that racism has always existed and will always exist....that's true...but I'm not sure it has been at this level in a long while.

It is my opinion that since this "terror" thing started, or at least hit the homeland, it has gotten worse.

I saw a meme on FB that said:

That "Love thy neighbor" thing, I meant that - God

Just getting really tired of everything having to be or at least seem racist.....I know I'v stirred the pot also, if for no other reason to be argumentative....but in the current atmosphere I've decided to take a different route, and I challenge everyone to do the same. At least we can do our part in stopping this craziness.

17 hours ago, NDNation said:

To tell you the truth, I don't even notice biracial couples.  I do notice their beautiful children though.

Hmm? Let me *ponder* on what you just said: Hmmm? You don't notice biracial couples, *BUT* you notice their beautiful kids. From your statement, its only logical that you would have noticed they were a biracial couple. 

2 hours ago, CraigS said:

Yes, the point is......we all have a "fear" of the unknown, difference, change, etc....Whether it's the police that say they have "fear" or the black man saying they have "fear" - it's true and it's real.

All this BS media, presidential, talk when jumping to conclusions is in the most part causing all this FEAR between us. It has been said that racism has always existed and will always exist....that's true...but I'm not sure it has been at this level in a long while.

It is my opinion that since this "terror" thing started, or at least hit the homeland, it has gotten worse.

I saw a meme on FB that said:

That "Love thy neighbor" thing, I meant that - God

Just getting really tired of everything having to be or at least seem racist.....I know I'v stirred the pot also, if for no other reason to be argumentative....but in the current atmosphere I've decided to take a different route, and I challenge everyone to do the same. At least we can do our part in stopping this craziness.

I applaud you for trying and attempting to look at both sides.

1 hour ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Hmm? Let me *ponder* on what you just said: Hmmm? You don't notice biracial couples, *BUT* you notice their beautiful kids. From your statement, its only logical that you would have noticed they were a biracial couple. 

Let me "clarify" so you don't have to "ponder". Who really stops anymore and is taken aback by a biracial couple. Not me. It's become very common, especially in this area. I have seen some beautiful children come from these relationships.

I believe EVERYONE looks at things from "both sides" - The difference is 1 of 2 things or maybe even 2 of 2 things......perhaps even a 3rd - Culture and/or theology / Religion.

For the sake of the original discussion, it's my reasoning for initially being against biracial relations, due to "cultural" differences. I was WRONG. I've learned that there are very conservative American blacks. Meaning this, not all blacks refer to, or even care to refer to themselves as "African-American" - they are American. But like all Americans, there are some differences, however, differences that can be learned/shared/ accepted, etc. without fundamentally changing ones belief/stature/outlook/person.

The "cultural differences" are what I believe to be the hang-up between certain people. Be it clinging to the "African" heritage, the "Muslim" heritage, the "Mexican" heritage, etc. This is America, people believe one should be AMERICAN (as do I) when you come here (or choose to stay, however you got here) one should assimilate to the culture of America...Period. My family are immigrants themselves, I have no desire to carry on that heritage or move back to country of origin.....I AM AMERICAN! I don't celebrate (or even recognize) holidays or events from that country, I don't fly their flag or try to dress like them, or even learn the native language.....I AM AMERICAN!

The second is theology - some conservative and others liberal, some farther left or right as opposed to middle/ moderate. The extremes are usually the ones at odds, or mostly so anyway.

There could also be a third - Religion - to believe or not to believe will cause great debate or disagreements.

On this note - I do believe everyone "looks" at all sides- they just simply disagree and will argue to change the world to their belief or at least defend their view of life, and how things should be done.

I can accept and have constructive conversations with anyone, I at least feel has America's best interest at heart. If I in any way I feel or sense they are trying to fundamentally "change our culture" I do have a problem with that.

As most of you know, it is very difficult to discuss / debate behind a screen....to much to type to make a clean point. to much taken out of context, or misunderstood. I am in no way saying racism, sexism or bigotry is ok or should be fought to better those problems in "America". I am, however saying, we live in the greatest country to ever exist, and people should realize that and focus on the greatness of our country and work together on the FEW things (by comparison of other countries) that need improving, and stop making mountains out of mole hills, causing all this damn drama.

18 hours ago, new tobie said:

when have you ever looked at both sides

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

I was going to ask the same question. He doesn't appear to look at both sides.

Sometimes it takes a little time to see both sides clearly...some just choose not to jump to an immediate conclusion.

Remember "Hands up, don't shoot"?

14 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Sometimes it takes a little time to see both sides clearly...some just choose not to jump to an immediate conclusion.

Remember "Hands up, don't shoot"?

Claiming that someone isn't looking at both sides is often like the pot calling the kettle black. 

I can quote law word for word on some issues and it be completed ignored by someone because it completely kills their stance. 

Looking at both sides usually means, you need to have my point of view or you are wrong.