Crosby 66 Bryan Rudder 56/LADY COUGARS ADVANCE TO SAN ANTONIO!!!

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, MOSSHILL said:

Let's go Crosby Lady Cougars

When was the last time the girls made it this far into the state tournament?

If my memory serves me correct, it was the 2000-2001 season when Brenham defeated Crosby in the Regional Final. The Crosby Lady Cougars were led by Shondra Bush, who was viewed/ranked as one of the top 25 players in the country.  She was an amazing high school player who actually sparked my interest in girls basketball.

Final from Campbell Center in Aldine:

Crosby               66

Bryan Rudder    56

Congratulations to the Lady Cougars as they advance to San Antonio for the Class 5A State Championship Tournament next weekend!

This is the Lady Cougars' first trip to state since 1996.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:39 PM, WOSgrad said:

Final from Campbell Center in Aldine:

Crosby               66

Bryan Rudder    56

Congratulations to the Lady Cougars as they advance to San Antonio for the Class 5A State Championship Tournament next weekend!

This is the Lady Cougars' first trip to state since 1996.

Who does Crosby play next ?

1 hour ago, MOSSHILL said:

Wow

Not only that, Canyon is ranked #2 in Texas behind undefeated 6A Duncanville according to Maxpreps national rankings. They're also ranked #10 in the country according to that same prep service. I would think the winner of this game would be the odds on favorite to win it all, but if I remember back correctly Canyon knocked Crosby out last time they advanced this far or at least they've knocked us out when we went deep before. They fundamental-ed us to death. That being said, as long as the odds are against our girls, I think the length and athleticism Crosby posses on the wing could be a problem for Canyon. This a true David vs Goliath but hopefully coach Trotter sees something on the TImberview tape that can get us a W.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This is the hidden content, please

Canyon has been to state tourney 26 times and is the two time defending state champion. 16 time state champion

Joe Lombard.  He's won a game or 2.  17 state titles...16 of which were at Canyon. He officially only has 3 more toes until he can no longer wear every championship ring at the same time.

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Not only that, Canyon is ranked #2 in Texas behind undefeated 6A Duncanville according to Maxpreps national rankings. They're also ranked #10 in the country according to that same prep service. I would think the winner of this game would be the odds on favorite to win it all, but if I remember back correctly Canyon knocked Crosby out last time they advanced this far or at least they've knocked us out when we went deep before. They fundamental-ed us to death. That being said, as long as the odds are against our girls, I think the length and athleticism Crosby posses on the wing could be a problem for Canyon. This a true David vs Goliath but hopefully coach Trotter sees something on the TImberview tape that can get us a W.

Good luck

When I think of all the great women's coaches in Texas, Lombard is in my top 4 and it is impossible to be wrong with any of the 4. His son has won 2 state titles at Wall I believe, and I have them both winning again this weekend. He has also won I think 5 or 6 state titles in XC. Very Successful.

As for the comment about length and athleticism, 2 years ago they faced Georgetown in the state championship game. Georgetown was defending state champion and was in their last year before the town was fully split. They had 27 players on the roster, including 13 that were over 6 feet tall. 3 of their starters signed with D1 schools I believe. Plus their coach is another of my top 4 greatest. Everything seemed perfect for Georgetown to repeat, but Canyon had a freshman 5'4" who destroyed Georgetown and gave Canyon the title.

They are fundamentally sound and I have the Panhandle leaving San Antonio this weekend with 3 state championships with Wall winning another one. They play fundamentals and stress defense. They are patience. It won't be a 70 point game. Heck Wall won on Saturday 28-14. Different style, but it sure is fun to watch.

On February 29, 2016 at 9:46 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

Canyon has been to state tourney 26 times and is the two time defending state champion. 16 time state champion

There's a post that the girls from Nazareth (1A) have won state 20 times.  Is that a state basketball record?  It boggles the mind, as does Canyon.