Kobe Bryant goes off on AAU basketball

Depends on the organization and coach. But overall, yes Kobe IS correct. But playing AAU ball, even for a coach that doesn't teach you anything, is better than sitting at home all summer playing video games or getting into trouble. It's the lessor of two evils.

This.  All depends on who you play for.  And, for the record, his same arguments could be made against many school coaches.  

As for Kobe, he lost all credibility with me a long time ago.  Namely when he had a top 5 all time center run off to feed his own ego.   I am about as interested in his opinions on a given subject as I am Allen Iverson's.  But I think he should petition to play for the Italian national team in the next Olympics so he can get his butt kicked by USA basketball. 

This.  All depends on who you play for.  And, for the record, his same arguments could be made against many school coaches.  

As for Kobe, he lost all credibility with me a long time ago.  Namely when he had a top 5 all time center run off to feed his own ego.   I am about as interested in his opinions on a given subject as I am Allen Iverson's.  But I think he should petition to play for the Italian national team in the next Olympics so he can get his butt kicked by USA basketball. 

What about Robert Horry's comments?

As for school coaches, not sure I know many high school or middle school coaches who get their hands on players when they are 6-12 years of age. ;)

What about Robert Horry's comments?

As for school coaches, not sure I know many high school or middle school coaches who get their hands on players when they are 6-12 years of age. ;)

I care a lot more about what Big Shot Rob has to say than the Blackhole Mamba for sure. 

Point taken on the second paragraph.  Although I'm not sure there is a better program for kids even that age, in terms of learning and playing the game.  There is a reason you had 3 freshman step against a top 5 ranked 5A team earlier this season without flinching.  And it ain't Little Dribblers ;) 

What Kobe is saying is true some not all AAU coaches dont break down the game and teach these young kids. Ive said it before most of these guys are just fans of these kids and allow them to just hoop off their abilities they have already. But think if they actually trained. WinWin knows what im talkin about when i say skill over everything else. KIDS HAVE TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO PLAY the game and understand certain scenarios. But to each his own....

The biggest problem I have seen with AAU (at every level except the very elite levels-EYBL National Circuit teams) is that kids are not being taught to defend.  The defense in AAU is atrocious.  There is absolutely zero team defense.  AAU is all about offense and that is fine to an extent but, because the defense is so bad kids develop a false sense of confidence about what they can and cannot do.  Then, when they get into the school season where team defense is a major point of emphasis I see kids get frustrated because their one on one moves don't work against great help defense and they have no clue how to locate the proper kick outs and dishes.  I had a friend of mine who has a freshman on his varsity this year.  In a film session he asked the kid why he wasn't on help side when the ball was away.  The kid responded:  "Because in AAU my coach told me to just follow my man around, so it's hard for me to remember to be on help side when the ball is away."  This kid played for an AAU branch that is regarded highly in the Greater Houston area.  Seriously, how many AAU practices include instruction on proper help side defense, seeing man and ball, choosing ball over man if you have to make that choice, switching pick and rolls, hedging pick and rolls, defending cutters, helping the helper, trapping pick and rolls and the list goes on.  The funny thing is, go ask a college coach what the number one thing they want to know about a kid is and they will tell you they want to know if he can defend the position he will play.  If the AAU guys really wanted to help these kids out they would be teaching much more defense and the concepts listed above.

I  mentioned this in a post about  2 weeks ago about the lack of defense played and lack of  overall  basketball intelligence most kids have, and some folks on here who consider themselves a basketball guru tried to argue me down.  There is a reason you have an increase in the number of international players in the NBA and it's not because of a lack of American kids participation in basketball.

I agree in principle with many of the complaints.  But I have also seen the reverse.  Kids who play summers having a much greater concept of team defense versus those who only play school ball.  Again, depends on the program you are with and the coaching.  I can tell you I have seen as much or more emphasis on defense as offense in my AAU experience.  

As far as the Europeans, it's funny to me how it keeps being argued that they are taking over the sport due to their fundamentals.  I am a big fundamental guy and believe them to be absolutely crucial.  But these Europeans are still almost always getting beat down by the US in international play and their players that make the leap to the NBA seem to flop (no pun intended) at an extremely high rate.  

35 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I agree in principle with many of the complaints.  But I have also seen the reverse.  Kids who play summers having a much greater concept of team defense versus those who only play school ball.  Again, depends on the program you are with and the coaching.  I can tell you I have seen as much or more emphasis on defense as offense in my AAU experience.  

As far as the Europeans, it's funny to me how it keeps being argued that they are taking over the sport due to their fundamentals.  I am a big fundamental guy and believe them to be absolutely crucial.  But these Europeans are still almost always getting beat down by the US in international play and their players that make the leap to the NBA seem to flop (no pun intended) at an extremely high rate.  

You may be comparing a circumstance where a high school basketball coach, in actuality, is a football guy given the basketball job( yes, it happens frequently in this state) and are comparing him to an AAU coach.  I'll take the guy who does it for a living ( and does it well) over the part timer any time.

LOL...You can tell who loves them some AAU on this thread TXHOOPS.  There will always be exceptions to every rule, but by and large, what they are saying is true.  Ie. the lack of defense & fudamentals being taught.  I do agree with winwin though about it being better than sitting at home doing nothing.  

The good ones will get in the weight room, and train on the court to improve their skills through drill work.  Summer games (better with your HS team) is just one component.  

Our bigs in the USA are limited in their skills compared to foreign  bigs who are in the lab learning the fundamentals, like shooting,  passing,  blocking out,  footwork,  mid range  and CATCHING the darn ball. Hmmm,  did I say dunking? Oh,  that's us in this country who care more about dunks than the fundamentals of mid range shooting and learning the game. 

13 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Our bigs in the USA are limited in their skills compared to foreign  bigs who are in the lab learning the fundamentals, like shooting,  passing,  blocking out,  footwork,  mid range  and CATCHING the darn ball. Hmmm,  did I say dunking? Oh,  that's us in this country who care more about dunks than the fundamentals of mid range shooting and learning the game. 

+1000!

32 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Like Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins?  Just to name a few off the top of my head ;)

Biggest hoax going in the sport...

And free throw shooting help!!!!

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

Cousins is fundamentally sound with a nice jumper.  He needs a shrink more than anything else.   Aldridge is good, Durant,  also. 

Players like D Howard, Dandre Jordan, Corey Brewer, etc, the list is endless..Those players needed fundamental training.  Too late now.