Defense wins championships!

PhatMack19

I watched most of the games over the weekend and came away with 1 thought.  It seems like playing great defense and the power running game was the ticket to a championship this year.  

Are the D coordinators figuring out the spread?  I was surprised how these high flying spread offenses were totally shut down by good defenses.  I love me some smash mouth football!  It was good to see another team besides Katy succeed with that formula.   

Yes, I love watching a hard hitting, and aggressive defenses take over a game. I was there for the last 5 games and the more physical team won all of them. WOS played agresive and hungry, capitalising when they saw the doubt in Celona. North Shore beat up on Westlake from the opening kick off. I have to add Ehlinger is a tough young man, taking hit after hit and kept looking for more. But it takes a toll on you after 3 quarters and the Mustangs owned the 4th and ot. Katy does what Katy does, hit you in the mouth every play. LT looked ready to throw the towel in by the 2nd qtr. 

Football is still a physical game. So, playing  fundamentally sound and physical game will allow you to win a lot of games.

Off subject here but I was posting about Location being important to SC Winners. Looks like sleeping in your own bed the night before your game is HUGE! Example: 2015 DFW 0-4 2015 6-0 I believe(could be wrong). Flip Flopped. WOS history, except for 1 game, 88, we win close but lose far from home.

This could be a coincidence but take WOS for example.
1986 SC- Won in Astrodome-1.5 hour drive
1987 SC-Won at Kyle Field-2.5 hour drive.
1988 SC- Lost at Kyle Field(I think it was Kyle field) 2.5 hour drive (Only ecxception)
2000 SC- Lost at Texas Stadium-5+ hour drive
2014 SC- Lost at ATT Stadium-5+hour drive
2015 SC-Won at NRG-1.5 hour drive.

Maybe someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe 88 was at Kyle field. I remeber it being very cold and raining!

Off subject here but I was posting about Location being important to SC Winners. Looks like sleeping in your own bed the night before your game is HUGE! Example: 2015 DFW 0-4 2015 6-0 I believe(could be wrong). Flip Flopped. WOS history, except for 1 game, 88, we win close but lose far from home.

1988 SC- Lost at Kyle Field(I think it was Kyle field) 2.5 hour drive (Only ecxception)

Maybe someone can correct me if Im wrong but I believe 88 was at Kyle field. I remeber it being very cold and raining!

+1000

I may be wrong also , but I think in 88 we went to Paris to play , lost a home / home flip . Of course I may be off my rocker again , done that on several posts this year.

Edited by MMstangfan
Spell

I've long said high school defense is about what you have as left overs from offense. North Shore, GR, La Vega and WOS all had better athletes than the offenses lined up across from them. All of those squads except WOS also had very high level recruits in the defensive side of the ball which helps immensely. 

Money can buy you a lot of things as a high school program, but it's not going to buy you the level of athlete those schools put on the field over the weekend. 

I agree with what's been said to a certain extent.There are always exceptions.We had one of the best defenses in the state and Navasota destroyed us.The roll of the defense is to slow the other team down and give your offense a chance to win it.Navasota's offense was just unreal and with all the points that Gilmer put up last year they were no where near that team.

When you have a great defense....you need a slow, boring offense....like Katy......the longer the offense is on the field...the more rest the already good defense gets......Katy outscored opponents 778-62 this season.....

I honestly believe we would have had a few more shutouts this year if our offense wasnt so nasty at scoring from any where, at any time. It was almost detremental to our defense(as crazy and stupid as that sounds). Defense gets off the field then BAM TD WOS on first offenseive play. Defense had only the kickoff to rest lol.

I honestly believe we would have had a few more shutouts this year if our offense wasnt so nasty at scoring from any where, at any time. It was almost detremental to our defense(as crazy and stupid as that sounds). Defense gets off the field then BAM TD WOS on first offenseive play. Defense had only the kickoff to rest lol.

I think that's why coach T tried to go back to a more run type offense a few years back so the defense could get some rest.Of course we didn't have the line for that and it didn't take long before we went back to the spread.

Manvel is the perfect example....their offense kept their Defense on the field....they were usually gassed late in games. A team could have a long scoring drive against them......then their offense scores in 2-3 plays...then they were right back on the field.