Humble High Wildcats

Looking at home prices in that area of town, it seems the area is deteriorating value-wise... lots of pretty large homes for sale for awefully low $. Why are people leaving that specific area?

I don't really think they're leaving. There was no SC or Atascosita so Humble probably had an enrollment of over 4k before they were built. There was no Summer Wood or Fall Creek to move to and Atascosita probably had a little over half the housing they do now since their rapid growth. If you look at the demographics of Atascosita and SC you'll see it's pretty much the same people still living there, they just have better/newer options now.  

I would like the insight of the very knowledgeable fan base of District 21-5A.

What seems to be the over riding issue with the Humble Wildcats?

Why have they not been more successful recently? 

My personal opinion is that they aren't very well coached. Oddly as it sounds I think a guy like Hancock could go over there and compete for district championships on a regular basis given the level of athlete Humble has. They're big and fast every year, may even have the best athletes in the district some years, but under Coach West they haven't had a viable offense in about 4 years. I think the Humble job is a gold mine for the 5A level with the talent they have on campus. For instance, I think their junior running back had 5 carries for 308 yards in the season finale. They also had the second best defender in the district IMO. There's really no reason for them not to be a power.

I was told it was the opening of Atascocita and Summer Creek that drained all of Humble's good talent....  Think about it.  Atascocita is really good in football now.  Summer Creek was good with the wave of d-1 talent.

That is exactly what happened. On top of that when Humble didn't meet the academic requirements, kids were allowed the option to attend other schools. That was a death penalty to the program. I do think they will rebound in the near future unlike SMU.

I don't really think they're leaving. There was no SC or Atascosita so Humble probably had an enrollment of over 4k before they were built. There was no Summer Wood or Fall Creek to move to and Atascosita probably had a little over half the housing they do now since their rapid growth. If you look at the demographics of Atascosita and SC you'll see it's pretty much the same people still living there, they just have better/newer options now.  

makes sense 

3 years ago, when I watched them during Freshmen football, they had talent for sure. They were big and athletic. It seems that it doesn't transform on the varsity level or maybe coaching issues? They have some talent though. I'm seeing a trend though in programs like Humble. They may have lost some athletes, but if you don't keep the kids interested and keep them excited about a program, it's going to be a career ender. Welcome to todays coaching world.

Guest ECBucFan

Looking at home prices in that area of town, it seems the area is deteriorating value-wise... lots of pretty large homes for sale for awefully low $. Why are people leaving that specific area?

From Chron:

Humble takes the cake for being one of the most dangerous cities in the country and the most dangerous in the state of Texas. This is according to Safewise, a web site that analyzes FBI crime statistics to determine the most dangerous cities in the country.

In Safewise's reporting violent crimes include murder, robbery, aggravated assault and rape, while property crimes include burglary, arson and theft. According to the numbers, there is a 10.5 percent chance of being involved in a property crime. That is, for every 100 people in Humble, at least 10 have been affected by a property crime. However, violent crime numbers for Humble are much lower, with a rate of 6.13 per 1,000 residents. 

From Chron:

Humble takes the cake for being one of the most dangerous cities in the country and the most dangerous in the state of Texas. 

This is the hidden content, please
, a web site that analyzes FBI crime statistics to determine the most dangerous cities in the country.

In Safewise's reporting violent crimes include murder, robbery, aggravated assault and rape, while property crimes include burglary, arson and theft. According to the numbers, there is a 10.5 percent chance of being involved in a property crime. That is, for every 100 people in Humble, at least 10 have been affected by a property crime. However, violent crime numbers for Humble are much lower, with a rate of 6.13 per 1,000 residents. 

Thank you for the information. Trying to figure out how that affects athletic performance.

Thank you for the information. Trying to figure out how that affects athletic performance.

Those numbers probably look like that because Humble is it's own specific town and doesn't get lumped in with Houston. You're much more likely to robbed or killed, or have anything else happen to you, in North Shore than you are in Humble but North Shore is in Houston so it doesn't get its own statistics. It doesn't seem to be affecting them too much though. Humble just needs a different coach, I saw them play twice in person and twice on a stream, the only team that had better athletes than they did is Crosby and that wasn't really by much.

Those numbers probably look like that because Humble is it's own specific town and doesn't get lumped in with Houston. You're much more likely to robbed or killed, or have anything else happen to you, in North Shore than you are in Humble but North Shore is in Houston so it doesn't get its own statistics. It doesn't seem to be affecting them too much though. Humble just needs a different coach, I saw them play twice in person and twice on a stream, the only team that had better athletes than they did is Crosby and that wasn't really by much.

When you say coaching is the problem, are you referring to offense, defense or all of the above?

You ask was it offense defense or all of the above. I think to many times people just make a generalized statement that the problem is coaching and don't point out the problem points. 

Very true, it could be scheme on offense or defense it could be a lack of commitment to special teams. It could be discipline, There are so many factors that go into coaching and I guess what I am looking for is the public perception of the the issues facing Humble. I'm sure there are a lot of you that saw them at least once and maybe more. We have a pretty intelligent group of football fans on this site and I just wanted your opinions.

When you say coaching is the problem, are you referring to offense, defense or all of the above?

Mostly on offense but it can be all of the above depending on what point in the season you catch them, they usually fade as the season progresses. The defense is solid for the most part but the offense can't supplement them. There's not much creativity or adjustment making on offense, if Brown doesn't go off they lose. Their defense can be suffocating at times but the offense keeps them on the field nearly the whole game so they become less effective.

Seeing how big, fast and athletic they are I have to admit it's frustrating to watch them play sometime because the kids aren't put in the best position to win. They're scary if you see them getting off the bus though.

Thank you Cougar 14.2, that is exactly what I was asking.

Mostly on offense but it can be all of the above depending on what point in the season you catch them, they usually fade as the season progresses. The defense is solid for the most part but the offense can't supplement them. There's not much creativity or adjustment making on offense, if Brown doesn't go off they lose. Their defense can be suffocating at times but the offense keeps them on the field nearly the whole game so they become less effective.

Seeing how big, fast and athletic they are I have to admit it's frustrating to watch them play sometime because the kids aren't put in the best position to win. They're scary if you see them getting off the bus though.

Thank you Cougar 14.2, that is exactly what I was asking.

No problem, I just hate seeing them down when this area needs more teams to be good and Humble has everything you need to be good. I've been checking on Clayton Callicutt the last two years to get a realistic gauge on his NFL chances, but every time I look him up there's Kyle Washington, who took Humble to the third round, winning some award. Kid went back to back as the LSC offensive player of the year. The team he took to the regional semis had two big DT's that went to Texas and Baylor, a corner that went to Miami(OH), a linebacker that went to UTSA and a receiver that went to UTEP. Terio Brown is the new stud rb they have and will play FBS football after next year, they also had a freshman qb that rotated in but I heard after the Crosby game he went to private school so he can transfer somewhere else for his sophomore year.

You take the exact same offense Dayton ran with Hancock and bring it to Humble, you probably have another CE King-type squad on your hands.

No problem, I just hate seeing them down when this area needs more teams to be good and Humble has everything you need to be good. I've been checking on Clayton Callicutt the last two years to get a realistic gauge on his NFL chances, but every time I look him up there's Kyle Washington, who took Humble to the third round, winning some award. Kid went back to back as the LSC offensive player of the year. The team he took to the regional semis had two big DT's that went to Texas and Baylor, a corner that went to Miami(OH), a linebacker that went to UTSA and a receiver that went to UTEP. Terio Brown is the new stud rb they have and will play FBS football after next year, they also had a freshman qb that rotated in but I heard after the Crosby game he went to private school so he can transfer somewhere else for his sophomore year.

You take the exact same offense Dayton ran with Hancock and bring it to Humble, you probably have another CE King-type squad on your hands.

That impressive, huh? Interesting.